Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hamster Dances for Maggie

Training is so easy for this very intelligent dog breed. For more about this rare dog breed search YouTube or Google for "Black Ashton" and other rare dog breeds.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I love the Hampster Dance song... it's so cute.

That puppy is really cute, great face. I also have a super easy puppy to train. She's a very popular breed actually.

She just turned 5 months and she knows "leave it" "come" "bang (play dead)" "roll over" "off" "wait" "paw" "other paw" "bring it" " go get it" "down" "stand" "release" "up" "kisses" " gentle"

She actually knew her name the first day we got her, and knew to ask for the door the day after we got her. I don't dare teach her to speak for fear of not being able to shut her up (much like our kids LOL)

Would love to see more videos of your cute little Maggie (love the name).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love the Hampster Dance song... it's so cute.

That puppy is really cute, great face. I also have a super easy puppy to train. She's a very popular breed actually....

... I don't dare teach her to speak for fear of not being able to shut her up (much like our kids LOL)

Would love to see more videos of your cute little Maggie (love the name).
Aww thanks Mum. Ha-ha here's what can happen if your dog learns to talk.

See my video of Maggie after she was told it's okay to be vocal during play.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She just turned 5 months and she knows "leave it" "come" "bang (play dead)" "roll over" "off" "wait" "paw" "other paw" "bring it" " go get it" "down" "stand" "release" "up" "kisses" " gentle"
Hi again Mum. Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad you liked and commented the other Maggie video.

I have not been able to teach maggie two of those commands and I think it has to do with her first owner. They are "bring it" "go get it". I can get her to help me find things but she refuses to put them into her mouth. Her first owner (Dan) really hurt her a lot and beat her for stupid stuff and didn't even attempt to let her know why she was punished.

·
Registered
185 Posts
She's so lucky to have you now. Poor baby! I can't believe how people can treat living beings that they have stewardship over!

As for the get it and bring it commands? Who wants yucky stuff in their mouth anyway? Maggie knows that only Frisbees are clean enough for her mouth :D .Sophie is having a hard time with "heel" and just walking nice, although she is improving now that we got a new collar.

Your Maggie gave me a new thing that I want to teach Sophie like "back up". Sophie will eventually get taught "maggie's command" , but I don't want to innundate her with stuff. She still needs to firm up a few of her commands before a new one. Mostly the "good citizen commands" LOL! It's too fun to forget our manners ya know.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
OMG! I can't even begin to express how much fun my dog would have with a hamster in a ball. The hamster...not so much.

·
Registered
962 Posts
The hamster work-out ball. That has to be a good excercise, how long do you keep the little guy in the ball, looks like he wants out and that is why so much movement. Your audio came in very well. I thought I read that dog was once abused, thats hard to believe, you really did a great job with the dog, hope he always has a VIP status life, he deserves it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The hamster work-out ball. That has to be a good excercise, how long do you keep the little guy in the ball, looks like he wants out and that is why so much movement. Your audio came in very well. I thought I read that dog was once abused, thats hard to believe, you really did a great job with the dog, hope he always has a VIP status life, he deserves it!
Very good. The hamster ball is actually called the "work-out" ball. You must have one too. I still have the package. Ha-ha. The package recommends 20 to 30 mins a day. I set up a little "stage" with mirrors on the floor and shot that for about 30 mins. YouTube only allows 10 mins and I think the video ended up being under 4 minutes.

Unfortunately it's wintertime here now and I am getting the impression that the hamster (named Brownie) is hybernating. It sleeps both day and night lately, so currently I don't disturb it much (well not at all actually). It was much more active last summer and fall. Someone gave it to me when they moved out of the neighborhood. I was going to get Maggie a cat because she sleeps so much now that she's older. But the hamster seems to have given her much more to do then lay around all evening. I let the hamster decide if it wants to get into the ball. I do this by watching for it to be active.

This is brownies second ball. I put the first one in the dishwasher a couple times. Oops! Ha-ha that clouds the ball so that you can't see through it (thus the second -- new ball).

About Maggie looking or acting abused, I wish I could make a video to show everyone her behavior in just every day life. Maggie "askes" before she does anything. A quick example would be when I open the door for her to go in or out. It doesn't seem to matter if she's going in or out, but when I open the door, she will look at me as if to ask, "may I go through?" I didn't teach her that and she does it with many things including food. I can set a plate of people food down anywhere (including on the floor) and she won't eat it until I tell her it is for her. Sometimes I even have to tell her a second time just to assure her that it's ok. Not very "dog like" but I think it's because of her first daddy (let's call him Dan).

I can't jsut stop writing here. I want to talk about Dan for a minute. He was a roommate. He told me he wanted to get a dog and I told him he wasn't responsible enough to own a dog. So he got one anyway. Dan had a habit of leaving the dog locked in his room when he'd leave and sometime didn't return for days. When he would return, the dog would catch hell for of all sorts of things that obviously were out of Maggie's control. Dan started leaving the dog locked up longer and longer.

One day I protested about his management (abuse) of the puppy and he said, "Rob, it's just a dog!"

That really pissed me off. So friends of mine and I worked out a plan to rescue Maggie from Dan. The next time he disappeared for a day or two, I had a friend that had a farm take Maggie to her farm to "hide" her. Dan didn't show up for two weeks! The dog would have died if we had left it locked up like that so it was very lucky that we took action when we did.

Dan showed up those two weeks later and it took him the better part of an afternoon to even remember that he owned a dog.

He finally asked, "Where's Maggie?"

I said, "Isn't she with you? Didn't you take her with you when you left (two weeks earlier)?"

He only said, "No." and that was the last we ever spoke of it.

He moved out a month later and after a couple more weeks we brought Maggie back from the farm and I kept her.

Did I "steal" Maggie? Well yeah, I did and I have no regrets.

Dan ended up in prison for a couple years a month or two later having never seen Maggie again. I never heard from him again. It's been 11 years now.

OMG! I can't even begin to express how much fun my dog would have with a hamster in a ball. The hamster...not so much.
Laughing so hard!

OMG I didn't think of that! Maggie is so gentle. Just so I don't get into any trouble with kids that give their dog a hamster I guess I should say, "KIDS DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!"

Maggie is kinda different than most dogs when it comes to small animals. I didn't train her to be nice to the hamster. She just is. As you can see in the video, she seems to know not to harm it. When I put the hamster down on the floor (in the ball), Maggie follows it around or let's Brownie come to her. If you watch closely at the very end of the video, you can see the hamster is actually following Maggie around.

Yeah, I don't know of any dog that wouldn't enjoy having a hamster, but not many hamsters would like to have a dog. Maggie and Brownie seem like a great matched pair and I am convinced that Brownie knows Maggie as a non-threat.

The hamster...not so much.
Muppet that made me laugh so hard I have to tell you it was worth making the video just for your comment. Thanks so much and no, I don't recommend this as a general solution for dog bordom for all dogs. OMG that would be bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts