Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Jackson LOVES the soft Buddy Biscuits the best. We rotate flavors. All low cal and low fat. :)
Zuke's is also good. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Old Mother Hubbard Treats, Paul Newman Organic Treats & the old standby, Milkbones :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Prime Taste Freeze Dried Liver...chicken or beef.

These come in big chunks. I cut them down so I end up with 6+ treats out of each piece. I do this both to make each bag last longer and so the beast doesnt fill up on treats while we're working.

I also purchase sliced beef/calf liver at the grocery store and bake it at a very low heat until dry. Cut that into small pieces. Store in 4 ziplocks, 1 goes directly into the fridge, the rest into the freezer. Lasts the better part of a month.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I just mainly use plain chicken.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just got a huge (5 lb) bag of freezedried beef lung bits at Costco-- it has only 1 ingredient-- beef! No preservatives or anything-- and its well priced at $9.99/ bag-- and made in the US-- not all Costco treats are safe, you do have to read all the fine print-- but this is the 2nd year my dogs have had it as well (Costco only gets it in now and then) -- so I say go and get it while it still there-- my dogs love it!

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Keep in mind that even though something is MADE in the U.S. doesn't mean that the ingredients are U.S. sourced. I'm not sure how to find that info except by contacting each company individually, but just sayin'.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like Kona's Chips. You can only order them online but their quality and safety policy makes me feel very comfortable with their products, especially since the company was founded because their dog got sick from eating contaminated jerky from China.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Zukes Z-filets are a popular choice for most of the dogs I work with. Also Bravo trail mix and the old stand-by: string cheese. I tend to use a trail mix of some sort anyway - a little of various stuff I have. I was in a local upscale pet shop yesterday and was horrified by how many of their treats were made in China. I mentioned it to the owner and she said they'd tried phasing them out but people wouldn't pay the extra for the same stuff made in the US. (although the china products were not particularly cheap). I ended up leaving with some Bravo chicken and some Merrick summer sausage thingies.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use Natural Balance rolls, cut up into little pieces. As a dog food, it is not the best, but it works great for treats. It has all the nutrition of dog food (vitamins, calcium/phosphorus balance, etc.). I wouldn't give it as food, because it has a lot of sugar, but I figure the nutrition is better than a lot of the treats. I also like Zuke's mini treats, and so do my dogs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Our puppy loves Vital Essentials freeze dried beef tripe treats. All their products are USDA grade. http://www.vitalessentialsraw.com/html/Why Raw/quality.htm
He eats kibble for meals, and has no stomach issues with these freeze-dried raw beef tripe treats... definitely his favorite treat.

He's no now longer interested in normal biscuit type treats (except the Fromm-brand treats, which also are USDA quality). http://frommfamily.com/faq

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Our puppy loves Vital Essentials freeze dried beef tripe treats. All their products are USDA grade. http://www.vitalessentialsraw.com/html/Why Raw/quality.htm
He eats kibble for meals, and has no stomach issues with these freeze-dried raw beef tripe treats... definitely his favorite treat.

He's no now longer interested in normal biscuit type treats (except the Fromm-brand treats, which also are USDA quality). http://frommfamily.com/faq
How bad does it smell? I got some of the freeze dried raw chicken treats. The dogs love em but they are very, erm, fragrant.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
We use Zukes salmon treats for training classes. They're small (we still pre-cut into quarters) and REEK so bad! He loves them. I cringe.

At home we have Buddy Biscuits, Old Mother Hubbard, and some other random all natural stuff. My MIL bought Ham some Milo's Kitchen jerky (she always buys the pets tons of crap treats), and they were surprisingly made in the USA!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts