Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's never dull at our house...Maddie Mae chased down a small bird that wasn't paying attention in our backyard, injuring it (it hopped off under a low spot in the fence, and I couldn't find it :(), and in the process, snagged her stifle (area between the top of her back leg and the end of her rib cage) on a low nail that had popped out at the bottom of our fence, and peeled it back like the skin of a banana - about the size of 2 quarters. She's now at the vet - will need stitches to tack the skin back down. :hurt: The vet said that her skin there was fairly loose (thank God she's not overweight with tight skin!) so hopefully, she won't have to stretch it too tight to stitch it back down.

They'll patch her up, then I'll pick her up this afternoon when the kennel lady goes to walk/feed/water the dogs around 4:30-5:00 (the office will be closed by then, but I was told I could pick her up anyway :biggrin1:). I'm so glad Maddie Mae won't have to stay until Monday!

Nails now all pounded back in, all the way around the fence...:doh:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Good grief! You sure have had the exciting morning! I am glad Maddie will be OK. Poor girl. :( I wonder if it will require rest ?

You know those Terriers and their prey drive! It gets them into unusual circumstances ...... :/

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I'm sure she'll be on crate rest for at least a few days. The area that got torn is a bad area b/c the skin has to move when the dog moves. When I had horses, a stifle injury was one of the longest to heal b/c of this. Sigh...

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Thanks! I'm sure she'll be on crate rest for at least a few days. The area that got torn is a bad area b/c the skin has to move when the dog moves. When I had horses, a stifle injury was one of the longest to heal b/c of this. Sigh...
Awwwe ... that is too bad. That is tough! It is close to the equivalent of us injuring a knuckle and having to use our hands ... and you know how that is! Also ... how it seems the worse injuries are always getting re-injured ... just because they are there!

I wonder what became of the poor bird?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked everywhere for that bird, so I'm hoping that he/she was only stunned, and eventually was able to fly away. After lunch, I'm going to go out and look one more time.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, she's now home, still woozy from the anesthesia, and wearing her "cone of shame". The poor girl moaned quietly all the way home. She'll be on Medicam for about 5 days, as well as an antibiotic. She has a bunch of staples holding her skin together (it's about 2-3 inches long!), and she has to be on crate rest for 14 days until the stapes are removed. I'm just thankful that my vet allowed me to pick her up today and didn't make her stay until the office reopened on Monday!

P.S.: the bird was never found, so we're hoping it was just stunned and eventually flew away!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am glad she is home now ... poor girl. Good luck with the crate rest. I imagine some frozen stuffed kongs will be a priority for a bit. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Luckily, Maddie loves her crate! She'll sleep in there with the door opened. However...14 days of rest will be a test, for sure! Frozen Kongs are a great idea!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts