Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a large crate for Maddie that we really like....except for its size. It doesnt fit well in the car. We have to take both seats out of the back of the Honda Element to get it to fit. Sometimes we want to have an extra seat in there, and when we move, we want more space in the car for packing, so we decided to make a smaller one for her-we looked in stores, they didnt make any that fit our dimensions.

It's not complete, it's just being held up by twist ties and not to be used (just tested out) until it's done. Maddie went in very easily and knew right away it was her crate. We did some "go to your crate" (she's run happily in there because she knew she would get something tasty) and give her a treat, and when I have her a cookie (I made her peanut butter cookie treats yesterday, good stuff) I had her go to her crate for it. So she's getting used to it.
The crate is being made by my boyfriend and the mat was made by my mom. We wanted something with her name on it, which you can see.
Anyway, here are the pictures:

We're unsure if we want to keep the old crate for backup or sell it (probably sans mat since dogs smell that stuff and tend to not like other dog smells) -probably after we move, in case something happened during the move. But, each piece will be put on tight, so it should stay. After all, safety in the car is the number one importance for her crate.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
How awesome is that! :D I love it!! I should totally build something like this... I need a bigger crate for Jasper that still actually fits in my car!

Kudos for an excellent DIY job on a very expensive item! You guys did great! (And I LOVE the mat! I wish my dogs wouldn't destroy their cozy crate beds!)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
More importantly, how much did it cost? Crates are way expensive.

Possible business? Custom sized crates with custom mats?

Good job.

·
Registered
146 Posts
She looks at home in there! Great idea!

·
Banned
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha, no business for us. It's taken my boyfriend MONTHS because he doesnt have much time...and when he does, he forgets.

Cost:

We don't have the tools-the tools of course would be a lot of money. We just went to a friend's house who has the tools.
About $60 for the crate pieces itself. They're just horse fences-we got a size that was big enough to put our hands in, but not for Maddie to get out or get stuck.

Then, the wire that's going to connect it all together may run like $10, or something. Who knows. My boyfriend's parents already had some and sent us some.

The pad was made by my mom, so at no cost to us and probably not her since she sews a lot and has an entire sewing room full of fabrics. She happened to of had the foam too, and had no use for it, so that was a bonus.

I think we're going to spray paint it black...we already have the paint.

For us, the total was maybe $60....but if you have to buy everything, it would cost more.....so maybe the same as a regular crate if you have nothing but tools.

The crate we got her was really large and was $80 or $100....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts