Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if I am the only one who messes around with different things regarding training...

for example...

At one point I was thinking about those head collars and how they work and I was tugging on Bolo's collar(at that time a martingale) and I realized something. I tightened it just a bit and spun it around on her neck so the martingale loop was hanging under her chin...works pretty much just like a head collar without the actual head restraint...

anyone else have any similar tidbits? successful or not?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I've had to Macgyver a few things over the years though they are different than yours. That's pretty genius.

My most recent was training Kaki to chase her tail. She does not follow lures. Plain and simple. So I eventually noticed that she'd spin while walking when the leash looped around her butt. I looped the leash round her butt while training et voila! Now all she needs is the command.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
A true McGyver dog trainer would make a head halter out of duct tape. Good luck explaining that to the animal welfare folks.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Well, I've saved some folks a bunch of money by showing them the hunting hitch. It works well for pullers and doesn't require expensive equipment. The leash (6') goes under the front legs/arm pit/chest area and then back through the collar.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Sorry, tried to but, the leash disappears completely in my long haired Shelties and you can't see anything. Perhaps someone else can illustrate on a short hair.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've used that too. You can also find it called 'the balanced leash' Sorry don't have any pics. If you look on youtube I bet you can find a video. I know someone who did a video of it with their goldens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts