Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So both my dogs have tested lyme postive. Both are on tick preventatives and have had a treatment of doxy. When they tested for the C6 the numbers were still a little high (I think under 30 is what they want to see). Anyway the vet suggested to do another C6 in 6 months and then annually thereafter.

I was wondering if this was typical or necessary as far as getting the C6 test for the dog's lifetime?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,374 Posts
I'm not sure what the C6 test is but my dog tested positive for Lyme at some point and I only retested once after a course of doxy. The only reason I even treated was he has an unexplained lameness issue (which ended up being totally unrelated to lyme).

Multiple vets have told me that tick borne diseases in dogs are tricky and some vets prefer to not even treat lyme disease until a dog is actually showing symptoms.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
IN our area we don't typically see Lyme, or any of the tick borne parasites for that matter, but we do occasionally have a patient come up positive on our 4dx Heartworm SNAP test. The 4dx test for heartworm, Lyme, anaplasmosis, and ehrlichia. When get get a positive test for either of those 4 diseases, we typically wait on treatment and retest 2 weeks later to confirm the positive result. The majority of the 4dx tests that we run our part of our routine annual testing and therefore a good majority of the positive patients are non-symptomatic for whichever disease they come up positive for. If they are symptomatic we start treatment. If they're non symptomatic and the second test has confirmed the positive result, then we advise the owners on what sort of symptoms to monitor for in case the pet has a flare up of the disease in the future. We also run a full baseline blood panel and recommend rechecking yearly thereafter, that way if any of the chemistry values start to make notable changes we can hopefully catch problems and treat early.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts