Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my 2 year old pitbull was diagnosed with lyme disease. Seemingly overnight he became extremely lethargic and was walking as if he was a 15 year old dog with horrible arthritis. Needless to say I got him to the vet as soon as possible where upon receiving the lyme diagnosis he was prescribed doxycycline. Within 36 hours he was back to his normal energetic self and has been ever since. I would just like to hear some other experiences with this disease and would like to know if I should be looking out for any warning signs of problems such as potential kidney failure or any behavioral issues that would indicate persistent lyme symptoms. Does anyone have experience with their dog having lyme disease? If so, I would like to hear about it. These antibiotics almost seem too good to be true.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Lyme disease is a bacterial infection, and in most cases, especially those that are caught and treated early, resolve completely with antibiotics and the person/dog does not suffer any long-term problems. The cases of persistent/chronic Lyme disease are not that common compared to the number of cases that are cured with simple antibiotics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts