Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I stumbled across this forum, and must say wow, what a great resource for all dog owners.

Firstly, want to say hi on my behalf of myself and my dog Bella (Toller) all the way from Halifax, Canada. Bella is raw-fed and on a limited vaccination protocol, so, no she has never been vaccinated for Lyme Disease.

After doing some research, I suspect that Bella might have a rash that may be related to Lyme disease. She is asymptomatic otherwise, but she has 2 spots (pic attached) on her belly.

After doing some searching, I am assuming the dose would be to administer doxycycline at 5mg/lb of body weight twice daily? Should I go ahead with this protocol even though it is simply a rash? I am not a big fan of vets in the area since they scoff when I tell them that she is raw fed.

After reading a few posts, there was mention that doxycycline can be ordered from amazon? is that true for Canada? Any advice with buying in Canada without prescription?

Any help with be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
There are bood tests for Lyme disease. And dogs don't normally present with a rash like infected humans do. There are far different symptoms for Lyme disease in dogs. Also, how would you determine the dosage for meds? My vet doesn't care what my dogs eat when they come in with symptoms unless it has something to do with the gut. A rash could be a million different things, many of which are contagious to humans. I'd be taking the dog to a vet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are bood tests for Lyme disease. And dogs don't normally present with a rash like infected humans do. There are far different symptoms for Lyme disease in dogs. Also, how would you determine the dosage for meds? My vet doesn't care what my dogs eat when they come in with symptoms unless it has something to do with the gut. A rash could be a million different things, many of which are contagious to humans. I'd be taking the dog to a vet.
Yes, I still will take the dog to the Vet, but should I ask for a test for Lyme disease based on this rash?

I only have one vet available to me, and knowing some history, he will most likely make me cough up a few hundred bucks to run few tests. Thereby, I wanted to do some research before I went to him, since once I am in his office, its pretty intimidating to say no to anything at that point, especially if you don't know what you are talking about.

I was reading a few earlier posts and that's how I determined the dosage, it suggested 5mg per pound of body weight administered twice a day for minimum 5 weeks.

I mean, if he says we should run a test for Lyme disease, would I not better off simply administering the dose and seeing if she responds to it? Rather than run a test that may or may not be conclusive? What would be the protocol when the vet sees a rash like that in any case?

Also, we live on an acreage, so she has had minor rashes before and they seem to clear up, but this one seems a bit larger and weird (?). We would take her to the vet, and twice he ran some tests, the bill came up to atleast 100 bucks every time, and over a week or so passed, and the rash was cleared up. I would much rather contribute some funds to this forum rather than line the pockets of my vet everytime I drop in to say Hi.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It looks more like ringworm or something similar to me.

Honestly though I'd go to the vet. It's never a good idea to treat a dog when you aren't sure what is wrong. And I'm kind of wondering where you'd be getting Doxyclycline from without a vet? Just curious...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks more like ringworm or something similar to me.

Honestly though I'd go to the vet. It's never a good idea to treat a dog when you aren't sure what is wrong. And I'm kind of wondering where you'd be getting Doxyclycline from without a vet? Just curious...
Yeah, i booked an appointment with the vet. Thanks for the input.

It does look like ringworm too. I am soo stressed! :confused:

The thing that worries me is that we have a 7 month old baby in the house and its really creepy not knowing what it is etc etc. Heck I am up at 2 30AM worrying about it and checking out everything available on google.

I have no idea about the Doxycycline, there was a post here earlier about lyme disease where the guy said you can get Doxcycline from Amazon. It sounded fishy, but I attributed that too the laxed laws in United States as opposed to Canada.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I have no idea about the Doxycycline, there was a post here earlier about lyme disease where the guy said you can get Doxcycline from Amazon. It sounded fishy, but I attributed that too the laxed laws in United States as opposed to Canada.
Curious. I'm a vet tech and I was recently told by a client that there is some website that sells different antibiotics. I find it hard to believe, but if it's the case it's definitely illegal....and dangerous!

Anyway, yeah I'd definitely recommend not touching the rash and keeping the baby away from him for the time being. If it is ringworm it's possible to catch it from the dog.

But either way the vet will be able to figure it out! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curious. I'm a vet tech and I was recently told by a client that there is some website that sells different antibiotics. I find it hard to believe, but if it's the case it's definitely illegal....and dangerous!

Anyway, yeah I'd definitely recommend not touching the rash and keeping the baby away from him for the time being. If it is ringworm it's possible to catch it from the dog.

But either way the vet will be able to figure it out! :)
Yeah, thanks, my friend who lives close to me, said that its most likely a black fly bite, and that her dog gets it often.

There are tons of black fly's here so atleast its plausible. More hearsay.....
Hopefully the vet can help. Thanks for your help as well.

As far as the website, I did a search for Doxycycline and there are tonnes of websites that sell that without a presecription and ship it, but in the 20 minutes of browsing, I don't have a grasp of legitimacy of these sites. I am sure there is some loophole that they will ship it to you without a prescription or whatever.

Since the spot is not raised, I am hoping that its simply a black fly bite, cause I have those all over me. But she is getting a good bath tomorrow with a anti fungal shampoo and hopefully the vet can prescribe some sort of topical cream etc.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
As far as the website, I did a search for Doxycycline and there are tonnes of websites that sell that without a presecription and ship it, but in the 20 minutes of browsing, I don't have a grasp of legitimacy of these sites. I am sure there is some loophole that they will ship it to you without a prescription or whatever.
Bizarre! I'll have to ask the vets I work with and see if they've heard anything.

Since the spot is not raised, I am hoping that its simply a black fly bite, cause I have those all over me. But she is getting a good bath tomorrow with a anti fungal shampoo and hopefully the vet can prescribe some sort of topical cream etc.
Yeah, if it ends up being ringworm it's pretty easy to treat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bizarre! I'll have to ask the vets I work with and see if they've heard anything.

Well, when we first vaccinated, we wanted a single shot vaccine for Distemper, and no vet here had a single-shot, so we ordered one online from a site.

Had no problems bringing it in, under 10 bucks. Cost us 80 bucks more to get the vet to give Bella a health exam and administer it.:p

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Usually the antibiotics sold without a prescription are sold "for aquarium use only". That's the loophole I guess. Of course people do buy the "fish antibiotics" for use in other pets and even for human use. That can be pretty dangerous to do without detailed knowlege of proper dosing, and without getting a true diagnosis.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Usually the antibiotics sold without a prescription are sold "for aquarium use only". That's the loophole I guess. Of course people do buy the "fish antibiotics" for use in other pets and even for human use. That can be pretty dangerous to do without detailed knowlege of proper dosing, and without getting a true diagnosis.
That's crazy! It really can be dangerous...at least it is antibiotics and not anything more dangerous, but still.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Doxycycline is a common antibiotic used by humans. Usually for some kind of inflammation and can be used for a long period of time. My one year old dog tested positive for lyme, just on routine visit. Never had a rash or any unusual symptoms. Was put on doxycycline for about a month. Going for annual visit this week, curious how he'll show up on the lyme test. After that incident, got him lyme vaccine. But lyme is out of control in the area I live.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts