Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old Shih Tzu had luxating patella surgery about 2 years ago on her right back leg. I could visibly see the knee popping out and she was lifting it a lot when she walked. We had an orthopedic surgeon do the surgery (who does them on a regular basis) and she recovered great. I left her at the Vet's for the 2 weeks following the surgery (being the most crucial time) so she wouldn't move around a lot (because I knew I couldn't cage her myself). Over the years she has started lifting that same leg more often when she walks (skipping on 3 legs) which makes me think its bothering her again. Has anyone had similar problems after having this surgery? I've discussed this matter with her Vet and she states its normal for her to do that. Should I get a second opinion? Any insight would help. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
That is strange.. did you put her on any joint supplements after the surgery? Were there any complications or setbacks with her healing? As far as I know, if the surgery was done right, there should be no way for the patella to luxate again.. unless perhaps the ligaments stretched. I would definitely seek another opinion, and see if that knee is popping out again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, she's been getting Cosiquin since the surgery and no, there were no complications that I'm aware of. I know when they performed the surgery, they had to shave off some bone that was too far out and they put a pin in there. Everything looked great on the followup x-rays and she's always fine after she has surgery no matter what it is. I'll mention it to her new Vet and see what he says. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts