Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11 year old rat terrier has never shown signs of a luxating patella until yesterday. I never heard a yelp or any sign that he had hurt himself, but his gait is a little off (not really sure what is different though because it's so slight), and when he sits, he doesn't bend and tuck his leg as far under his body, it's more off to the side and straighter. He's jumping and running as if nothing is bothering him. When he stands, he puts more of his weight on the other hip, and likes to keep the affected leg straight. I have also noticed that he has been liking to stretch more than usual. I know rat terriers are known for this problem so I assume that's what it is, but I was wondering if others of you have had similar experiences, or if you think a pulled muscle could be to blame? With a thorough exam and moving his leg all around/massaging it, nothing triggered a reaction, and he is usually very vocal with his pain. We will be taking him to a vet next week, but since he is acting like himself I'm not in a huge hurry. Just wanted to hear some experiences and advice from others until then. Thanks!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've never had experience with luxating patella in my personal dogs, but I have groomed plenty of dogs that had it. Basically, I could just feel their knee cap slipping in and out when I picked the leg up. I didn't really notice a difference in their gait or how they sat, although I have them on a table most of the time, so I wouldn't necessarily pick up on it. Also, I'm thinking that it appears when the dog is young? But don't quote me on that, I'm not real sure. Sounds like it's something else to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does he hold up his injured leg at times? If it's his patella, the vet will know right away with palpating the knee.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts