Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dog is probably around 4 years old--no exact age because he was a found stray from the pound. He's a pomeranian, 10 lbs, very fit and not overweight in the least(he's just a large pom). I actually work at a veterinary office and I've always been told that he has luxating patellas--but he'd never had any problems or exhibited symptoms until last week. I noticed he was limping on the hind right leg--pretty frequently. Since then, it comes and goes.

Upon feeling his knee, the slightest pressure will pop the joint out. The limping is not constant, only occasionally. Another problem is that he's a bouncer--he jumps and bounces into the air for every little thing--greet people, coming into the house, leaving the house, going out to potty, dinner time--he just bounces excitedly all the time. He'll also race around the house, up stairs, jumps on furniture--so he's not easy on the leg at all, which worries me. That's just the way he is, no amount of scolding or deterring him will stop his actions.

One of the drs that I work for has offered to perform the luxating patella surgery on him--for free. She's been out of school for 2 years and I believe has done the surgery one other time. She's looking to do it for the experience--the chance to do this surgery doesn't come around often in our clinic and feels confident in her abilities. She explains that it's a fairly straightforward procedure, basically deepening the groves in the joint so the bone doesn't pop out so easily.

He is not on any type of joint supplement right now, but I'm going to start him tommorrow..our dr recommended the Cosequin brand. Thoughts on this situation?

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
If he's otherwise healthy and you realize the anesthesia risks are small but THERE it may be worthwhile to do the surgery. Are YOU confident in her abilities as a surgeon? It's true it's not that complicated a surgery and many vets who are not orthopods perform it, but you have to follow your gut on this one.

If it was me, and I felt confident about the surgeon. I'd do it. It can certainly make your dog more comfortable (luxating patellas can be a pain..I know, I had problems with it as a kid).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts