Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dogs aren't getting the surgery, but we just want to know more about it. :redface: So I know about the grades, that it's common in small dogs, and why dogs need this surgery sometimes. But, I want to talk to people with dogs that have had this surgery.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
My boy George just had this surgery done about 2 months ago. He was only a grade 2, but aggravated the knees causing pain. So when I had that checked out, the doctor noted arthritic changes in the one knee and would likely need surgery on it eventually, so I just went ahead with it right away.

Anything specific you want to know, feel free to ask.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My boy George just had this surgery done about 2 months ago. He was only a grade 2, but aggravated the knees causing pain. So when I had that checked out, the doctor noted arthritic changes in the one knee and would likely need surgery on it eventually, so I just went ahead with it right away.

Anything specific you want to know, feel free to ask.
Thank you! I hope your dog did or is having a speedy recovery! Oh, and how long does it take to heal?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
They say 6-8 weeks to heal, with the first 4 weeks being STRICT rest. George was about 6 weeks post-op before he was using the leg again consistently.

Here are some photos if you're interested: Luxating Patella Surgery

1 - 5 of 5 Posts