Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
We actually had a real inquiry this week about Luna! As in, someone emailed the rescue group and requested more information and got the online application to fill out. If they do go further, we'll do a meet and great with their dog, and then a home visit. The rescue has a pretty thorough check on people, not to be overly picky (as in, fenced yards are NOT required) but to protect the dogs.

Also, while walking Chester and Luna after work today, a girl was going into her friend's house along our walking route and saw the dogs and complimented them. When I said that Luna was a foster, the girl HAD to meet her and came and visited with Luna for several minutes, showed me her cell phone pics of her own small male dog (puggle type) and took the rescue's email address and planned to look them up on FB. She said her and her boyfriend had been talking about getting a second dog so she was going to talk to him about Luna and if he was interested also, would email or FB. She was head over heels for Luna within a minute; Luna played it up and did the wiggle-butt, hand-licking cuteness that a pittie can really rock. She even put out her lower lip and pouted a bit when the girl stopped petting on her (which earned an "awwww")

So everyone cross your fingers that one of these leads (or another great one!) turns into a real home

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Fingers crossed!!! :)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Luna is still here with me- we had one potential adoption fall through because Luna is NOT cat-friendly (her previous foster said she liked cats... yeah, for dinner maybe) and one home with an older lab still considering their options (and has not yet met Luna)
But we have the CGC test next week and I can't believe that the dog who couldn't sit still long enough for me to clip on a leash has progressed to this:

(Down-stay at 15 feet in a room full of dogs and people)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Luna passed her Canine Good Citizen test!!

She did great and she also is off to a good start on her intermediate obedience class (which began on Monday, the classes overlapped for a week). The ever patient Chester has accompanied her to class each week and quietly watched from the sidelines (as I shove treats at him whenever I have a free moment).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Congratulations to you and Luna! My other dog is a Pit Bull rescue; my family are foster failures, we just couldn't give Corky up after having him stay with us for a few weeks. Pibbles are awesome!

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Luna passed her Canine Good Citizen test!!

She did great and she also is off to a good start on her intermediate obedience class (which began on Monday, the classes overlapped for a week). The ever patient Chester has accompanied her to class each week and quietly watched from the sidelines (as I shove treats at him whenever I have a free moment).

What a great picture. They're both such good looking dogs.

Any more news about potential permanent homes?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
What a great picture. They're both such good looking dogs.

Any more news about potential permanent homes?
No, no news lately on potential permanent homes. I'm hoping that being able to put on petfinder etc, that she has her CGC will help. It is a good way to show that an unbiased/third-party agrees that her behavior is good and her basic manners are nice. Rescues tend to (understandably in many ways) sugarcoat their dogs' profiles or simply have rose-colored glasses.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Luna is on a trial weekend at a potentially permanent home! Everyone cross your fingers and send the hopeful wishes out here :)

A great couple with a 4-5 year old male Lab who recently lost a pit bull mix to old age and were looking for a young and lively companion to be a cuddly buddy for both the wife and their male dog (a working police dog so very well trained). The rescue people and I met the wife and the Lab for a public meet-and-greet yesterday and the rescue group did the home visit and the introductions with the husband and the dog on his home turf today. Very nice family, every seems to indicate a great match. The rescue said the lab and Luna took to each other like they'd been best friends forever and Luna is already wiggling her way into their hearts.

I hope so much that this works out for her, she's a wonderful dog that deserves a loving home.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Fingers are still crossed! :)

That type of a home situation sounds like a blessing ....

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
They only had her about 4 hours before calling the rescue and saying they want to keep her! Yay. The only thing left to make it 100% official is for them to sign the adoption contract with the rescue.

Chester and I had a very quiet evening at home last night. I think he is a little confused; after all, this lively/noisy/annoying/biting little creature that had invaded his space for 5 months has suddenly disappeared. But he enjoyed his long walk by himself and getting to lay on the couch with me in peace and quiet.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Haha tell Chester to enjoy it for a few months before you probably have another foster in the house. Happy dance for Luna!

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I've just read the whole thread, i am so glad to hear Luna has a new home, know Chester can enjoy some peace for a while.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Congratulations! Luna has found what sounds like a dream home! :) Poor Chester though. :(

Maybe you will have another foster soon.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Congratulations! Luna has found what sounds like a dream home! :) Poor Chester though. :(

Maybe you will have another foster soon.
Aww, Chester enjoys his solitude. He liked Luna well enough, but he's never been a super playful dog and doesn't seem to seek out the company of other dogs.

I'm going to let the rescue know that I'll be available again mid-summer. I want to take a few short trips and visit some people etc that I can easily do with Chester but couldn't do with a second dog, particularly a "difficult" case like Luna was. I'm sure the rescue will be keeping their eye on their intakes and finding the right dog that needs the type of foster home I can provide.
It did amuse me yesterday to receive these two texts for the rescue coordinator:
“I just did the easiest home visit/dog integration of my life! Beautiful home, great people and (the Lab) and Luna took to each other as if they’d been friends all their lives! They’re keeping her for the weekend as a trial and wanted to know if they can just keep her if it goes well. Of course, I said yes. So, she’s staying there, hopefully forever, but (the adopter) will get in touch when it’s definite. She adores her”

“ Let me tell you- after spending the day with Luna- you have done a hell of a job with her! I fell in love with her nutty ass & had no doubt after spending that time with her that she’d be brilliant at (the adopter's) house”

(Yes, I am patting myself on the back :) )

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
That is a great compliment! I say ... Good job too!!! ... and don't break your arms! ( patting yourself) lol! :) You do know I am teasing ... I know how hard you worked ... I followed your posts.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts