Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Mine is made similar. It's really simple. PVC, rope, cowhide.

No it won't be a problem with her jumping, its 2 different actions. Jumping while playing and jumping on you for attention, ect.

If she is barking because she wants out / attention ignoring her would be best. She should get used to it and get the hint. If she knows "no" or a "quiet" command you can use that. Once they understand what you want it works in multiple situations.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
After 3 walks (40 minutes, 1 hour (on hills), and 30 minutes) plus fetch... they were finally tired enough to be in each other's presence without rambunctious play or chewing on each other (play chewing). Yay!

Edit to add-- anyone got advice for alert barking? Chester basically never barks, so I've only ever needed to give him a quick "Its okay" and check whatever he is barking at. Previous foster rarely barked also. Luna is alerting to everyone walking by, my neighbors getting out of their cars, etc. She will come over to me and stop barking if I ask her to come over to me (she was on a tie-out) but goes right back to barking as soon as she looks over at the offenders again.
Should I just keep calling her over and asking her to sit by me?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Luna's continuing to improve a little at a time; she managed to sit while I put her collar on this morning even though she'd been crated all night and was raring to get outside. She barked a few times at each of the kids she saw waiting for the bus stop in the dark this morning, but it was the first time she'd seen them and she quieted down pretty good when I asked her to keep walking. She is better about not barking during the night to get out of her crate, although today is her first full work day crated (only crated ~6 hours on two days before, it will be ~9 hours today) so I may come home to a very annoyed Chester and neighbors...

Now that she's calming down more and listening a bit, we're going to work on more training like "Stay" and "Lie Down"

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
This is good to hear. I am happy for you and Luna. :) Progress is a great thing!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Jubel can be bad about alert barking sometimes when people are out and about in front of our strip of townhomes. The majority of the time if I come over with him and look out the window and say something like "It's okay", "I see them out there", "Thanks for letting me know" he'll settle down and stop the barking. When he thinks he sees something in the backyard and it's dark out closing the blinds works. Pretty sure when he gets worked up about 'something' in the backyard he's actually reacting to his reflection in the glass, possibly just the lights of a car passing on the street.

If reassuring Luna that you see what she's barking at and it's okay doesn't work I'd start on teaching her a "quiet" command. I know easier said than done.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Chester and Luna are getting along well and she's getting a bit better at "Quiet" but she still kinda does this really soft bark after I tell her Quiet. Like a whisper bark. Kinda funny actually, like she understands Quiet to mean Quieter :)

I'm not crating her at night anymore, she sleeps like a log when she's on the bed. I mean, totally dead to the world. I tried to move her and she kept snoring so I just picked her up a bit and slid her out of the way... she didn't even stir (like a small child who is really worn out and you can carry them to bed). But I have to crate her while I am gone and she is starting to rub a spot on her chin... I think from trying to stick her nose through the crate? Not bad bad but a raw spot like a rug burn about the size of a nickel... would appreciate any suggestions on fixing that issue...

And since I like to always update with a photo (I put several in a thread on the Picture section)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I like Bag Balm for abrasions burns etc, Good job with Luna sounds like she is settling in. If you can find a piece of clear plastic to bolt to area where she is trying to stick nose through it may help.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Luna Update...
We have someone interested in Luna, I'm probably taking her to meet and greet on Saturday so everyone cross your fingers :) It is a trainer looking for a future search and rescue working dog. I think Luna has great potential just based on how far she has come in 3 weeks with me, in the hands of a professional trainer I'm sure she could do much more. She has great focus and is very eager to please. 3 weeks ago, I could barely put her leash on without her leaping/jumping/nipping and today, she walked on a harness with a loose leash at a park filled with temptation.

Luna and Chester got to spend today at the "dog's best place on Earth" aka a huge research arboretum full of scents and sights (geese, grouse, ducks, deer, and small game)

I hope this potential new home works out for her; the rescue group just took in a mama pit and her 6, one-week old pups after a puppy mill/hoarder bust in a rural area near us (yep, they were selling at the local flea markets... part of why it drives me freaking crazy when people coo over the cute puppies at the markets). Almost 200 animals including exotics, horses, cats and over 100 dogs were taken by animal control (including 16! Saint Bernards) and the county shelter is new and tiny and overwhelmed. So I think there's going to be some foster dog jiggling to try to home these pups once they are weaned.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
I hope her potential new home works for Luna. She is one gorgeous dog. I hope she becomes a search and rescue dog! :)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, Luna got evaluated by the trainer today. The trainer LOVED her personality and looks, but Luna just doesn't have the level of drive they need in a search dog. It seems she is far more attention/person motivated then toy driven and they can't really stick a person in a scent box :) But the trainer said that Luna would make a great obedience dog and potential for disc or another dog sport.

We spent about 2 1/2 hours at the training facility, Luna got a ton of treats as she was put through her paces (and got the clicker training started). I liked the trainer, a straight-forward no-nonsense woman (around my age, maybe 30ish) who uses positive methods and trains service dogs, scent/detection dogs and other working dogs in addition to regular obedience training classes. They feed Honest Kitchen to the dogs in training so that's a plus for caring about the dog's health (she gave the "eww" face to even the thought of Science Diet) and she is NOT a fan of CM.

So Luna will start CGC classes in January, got a free martingale collar and clicker to take home today and Chester can come along to the CGC if they have extra handlers (she said they usually do) for a reduced price. If Luna is still with me after the CGC, we will do a trick training class.

·
Registered
13,065 Posts
Great for the classes and the trick training! Every dog is good at something even if it is not what we would really like sometimes. :)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, Luna continues to thrive here but we haven't had any interest in her.. but since it was over the holidays, I wouldn't expect much either. I printed some cute "Adoptable Dog" flyers with a few pics, a QR code to lead smartphone users to her updated petfinder profile, and a contact email and started putting them up on the bulletin boards in our local pet stores.

We've been enjoying lovely weather though...

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
We started training class week before last, first session was off to a good start, second was canceled due to snow, and I'm looking forward to more. I think I'm actually going to take Chester sometimes to their weekly drop-in session to work on a few odds and ends.

Got a new camera, testing out some action shots and letting Luna show off her crazy side :) Fetch is serious business for Luna. And since a friend of mine came to visit for the weekend, I had someone readily available to conscript into throwing sticks while I took photos.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Just read this entire thread and I've already said this but SHELL YOU ARE AMAZING. I always love hearing your foster stories/updates.

Also, Chester is such a noble dog

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just read this entire thread and I've already said this but SHELL YOU ARE AMAZING. I always love hearing your foster stories/updates.

Also, Chester is such a noble dog
Aww, Canyx, you sure know the way to a girl's heart :) Flattery will get you everywhere.

Well, the current struggle is loose leash walking. When the dog actually enjoys stopping and looking around, the "stop and wait till they stop pulling" method fails. So we are trying the stop and turn back before proceeding method. Which means it takes forever to get anywhere and in an exciting place like a park, I spend a lot of time stopped and turning back two very strong dogs.
Any other techniques that work on a flat (martingale) collar? (Will ask the trainer also)

But the park was worth it after a day of tornadoes and storms yesterday (although I did take Chester to the drop-in dog training class to work the mind and body).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I don't know how I haven't noticed this thread before. It's cool to read about all the work you've done with her. She's adorable. She always looks so happy and her ears make me smile.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts