1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh this should be interesting....

Meet Luna. Aptly described by the pittie rescue as "a force of nature"

I got an email on Monday which included this statement
"She's a beautiful little red brindle who weighs less than 40lbs, but is a force of nature. She's great with people and dogs, but has no social skills/impulse control with either b/c she's been in a foster home that was a bad match for her where she's been getting little to no time on a leash, exercising, or being taught boundaries."

.... and this one
" She'll love you to death or insanity b/c she's a sweetheart, but you can't take her anywhere right now. "

I agreed of course :doh: and she arrived tonight. One of the rescue board members brought her over with her crate etc. We walked her with Chester and she was friendly to him but a little overwhelming. She tackled him basically and he rolled over for her to play but she was a little too intense to just let them play loose. I think with some exercise and training time though, they could be friends. There was no aggression, just no social skills at all. She is (supposedly) crate trained and house trained and I will continue the crate training. We want to really start pushing her for adoption after the holidays and I plan to work hard with her for the next 5-6 weeks till early January. She'll be available for adoption now, but won't be going to any of the adoption events etc yet till she gets some manners on her.

Wish me luck everyone :) and any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit to add her Petfinder profile

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
omg she is like my dream pit bull! Look at that face! Sounds like she's gonna be alot work! But probally alot of fun along the way :)
I like a challenge as long as it is a good challenge...I'm going to exercise her little wiggly butt until she falls over :) She's just so damn happy to be near a person, its adorable. The problem is, she thinks that greeting people by leaping on them with her mouth open is the right way to do things. Of course, your average person is going to freak out if a pit bull says "HI" by trying to lick their nose.

That smile is adorable! Good luck with her - she sounds like a "right handful" as someone recently described my dog around here. Let us know about her progress!
Perfect description. We did actually go for a short walk (it was well after dark) and she didn't do too badly on a leash. The rescue person asked the previous foster "so, how are you leash training her? Are you using anything like a gentle leader, harness, or prong collar?" and the reply was something along the lines of "Huh? Leash training?" She pulls on the leash but she does go forward and doesn't wander or stop randomly. That, I can work with.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this going to be a foster fail ;)
Nope. She's cute and sweet but she's just not my type of dog. I like the big strong silent types and she's a wiggly little vocal ball of energy. Very vocal, not barky per se, but she howls, whines, talks, yips and barks.

But we had a successful leash walk this morning for 30 minutes before work and I plan to do close to an hour's walk this evening with her.

Priority training is the jumping thing. She just can't keep tackling people.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we survived a long afternoon walk where she behaved fairly nicely. She also appears to play fetch, so we tossed a tennis ball for a bit after the walk. She is nearly impossible to get a leash on, she just spins and leaps non-stop and she's mouthy while doing it. Trying to lick and nibble on my arms like a 8 week old puppy, except that she's nearly a year. Gotta stop that, since in my book at least, it is unacceptable for any adult dog to be mouthy and particularly a Pit Bull, given the breed's reputation problems. Got her a basic harness, that helped with getting the leash on since it is easier to hold the harness still while clipping on the leash.
She's a total lovey though and wants to be close all the time.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
She's doing great about walking with Chester; we did an hour and a half this morning. Pardon the crappy cellphone pics taking while walking. She has to sniff everywhere he sniffs, which turns out really funny because he then usually wants to pee on whatever he is sniffing so I have to tug her back away from where he is about to pee... and then he does the "kick after pee" thing and flings mulch at her face (and once he kicked her..oops).

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These pictures were taken AFTER she'd had an hour and a half walk (with Chester)....

Little bundle of energy :)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Have you thought about making a flirtpole.
I did actually think about that, I looked around the garage for something to put together. What is your's made out of?
Also, do you think that encouraging her to jump for the flirtpole will make it harder to get her to quit jumping on me or not?

She's doing great on her walks, even loose leash walking on her harness last night when I took her out without Chester.
She's not happy about her crate, took her about an hour of on and off barking last night to settle down in it and she goes absolutely crazy when its morning and she sees me to let her out.

Should I just let her bark in her crate until she settles down to sleep? (I did check to make sure everything looked okay and that she was just barking because she was annoyed)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
After 3 walks (40 minutes, 1 hour (on hills), and 30 minutes) plus fetch... they were finally tired enough to be in each other's presence without rambunctious play or chewing on each other (play chewing). Yay!

Edit to add-- anyone got advice for alert barking? Chester basically never barks, so I've only ever needed to give him a quick "Its okay" and check whatever he is barking at. Previous foster rarely barked also. Luna is alerting to everyone walking by, my neighbors getting out of their cars, etc. She will come over to me and stop barking if I ask her to come over to me (she was on a tie-out) but goes right back to barking as soon as she looks over at the offenders again.
Should I just keep calling her over and asking her to sit by me?

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Luna's continuing to improve a little at a time; she managed to sit while I put her collar on this morning even though she'd been crated all night and was raring to get outside. She barked a few times at each of the kids she saw waiting for the bus stop in the dark this morning, but it was the first time she'd seen them and she quieted down pretty good when I asked her to keep walking. She is better about not barking during the night to get out of her crate, although today is her first full work day crated (only crated ~6 hours on two days before, it will be ~9 hours today) so I may come home to a very annoyed Chester and neighbors...

Now that she's calming down more and listening a bit, we're going to work on more training like "Stay" and "Lie Down"

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Chester and Luna are getting along well and she's getting a bit better at "Quiet" but she still kinda does this really soft bark after I tell her Quiet. Like a whisper bark. Kinda funny actually, like she understands Quiet to mean Quieter :)

I'm not crating her at night anymore, she sleeps like a log when she's on the bed. I mean, totally dead to the world. I tried to move her and she kept snoring so I just picked her up a bit and slid her out of the way... she didn't even stir (like a small child who is really worn out and you can carry them to bed). But I have to crate her while I am gone and she is starting to rub a spot on her chin... I think from trying to stick her nose through the crate? Not bad bad but a raw spot like a rug burn about the size of a nickel... would appreciate any suggestions on fixing that issue...

And since I like to always update with a photo (I put several in a thread on the Picture section)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Luna Update...
We have someone interested in Luna, I'm probably taking her to meet and greet on Saturday so everyone cross your fingers :) It is a trainer looking for a future search and rescue working dog. I think Luna has great potential just based on how far she has come in 3 weeks with me, in the hands of a professional trainer I'm sure she could do much more. She has great focus and is very eager to please. 3 weeks ago, I could barely put her leash on without her leaping/jumping/nipping and today, she walked on a harness with a loose leash at a park filled with temptation.

Luna and Chester got to spend today at the "dog's best place on Earth" aka a huge research arboretum full of scents and sights (geese, grouse, ducks, deer, and small game)

I hope this potential new home works out for her; the rescue group just took in a mama pit and her 6, one-week old pups after a puppy mill/hoarder bust in a rural area near us (yep, they were selling at the local flea markets... part of why it drives me freaking crazy when people coo over the cute puppies at the markets). Almost 200 animals including exotics, horses, cats and over 100 dogs were taken by animal control (including 16! Saint Bernards) and the county shelter is new and tiny and overwhelmed. So I think there's going to be some foster dog jiggling to try to home these pups once they are weaned.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Well, Luna got evaluated by the trainer today. The trainer LOVED her personality and looks, but Luna just doesn't have the level of drive they need in a search dog. It seems she is far more attention/person motivated then toy driven and they can't really stick a person in a scent box :) But the trainer said that Luna would make a great obedience dog and potential for disc or another dog sport.

We spent about 2 1/2 hours at the training facility, Luna got a ton of treats as she was put through her paces (and got the clicker training started). I liked the trainer, a straight-forward no-nonsense woman (around my age, maybe 30ish) who uses positive methods and trains service dogs, scent/detection dogs and other working dogs in addition to regular obedience training classes. They feed Honest Kitchen to the dogs in training so that's a plus for caring about the dog's health (she gave the "eww" face to even the thought of Science Diet) and she is NOT a fan of CM.

So Luna will start CGC classes in January, got a free martingale collar and clicker to take home today and Chester can come along to the CGC if they have extra handlers (she said they usually do) for a reduced price. If Luna is still with me after the CGC, we will do a trick training class.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well, Luna continues to thrive here but we haven't had any interest in her.. but since it was over the holidays, I wouldn't expect much either. I printed some cute "Adoptable Dog" flyers with a few pics, a QR code to lead smartphone users to her updated petfinder profile, and a contact email and started putting them up on the bulletin boards in our local pet stores.

We've been enjoying lovely weather though...

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
We started training class week before last, first session was off to a good start, second was canceled due to snow, and I'm looking forward to more. I think I'm actually going to take Chester sometimes to their weekly drop-in session to work on a few odds and ends.

Got a new camera, testing out some action shots and letting Luna show off her crazy side :) Fetch is serious business for Luna. And since a friend of mine came to visit for the weekend, I had someone readily available to conscript into throwing sticks while I took photos.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Just read this entire thread and I've already said this but SHELL YOU ARE AMAZING. I always love hearing your foster stories/updates.

Also, Chester is such a noble dog
Aww, Canyx, you sure know the way to a girl's heart :) Flattery will get you everywhere.

Well, the current struggle is loose leash walking. When the dog actually enjoys stopping and looking around, the "stop and wait till they stop pulling" method fails. So we are trying the stop and turn back before proceeding method. Which means it takes forever to get anywhere and in an exciting place like a park, I spend a lot of time stopped and turning back two very strong dogs.
Any other techniques that work on a flat (martingale) collar? (Will ask the trainer also)

But the park was worth it after a day of tornadoes and storms yesterday (although I did take Chester to the drop-in dog training class to work the mind and body).

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
We actually had a real inquiry this week about Luna! As in, someone emailed the rescue group and requested more information and got the online application to fill out. If they do go further, we'll do a meet and great with their dog, and then a home visit. The rescue has a pretty thorough check on people, not to be overly picky (as in, fenced yards are NOT required) but to protect the dogs.

Also, while walking Chester and Luna after work today, a girl was going into her friend's house along our walking route and saw the dogs and complimented them. When I said that Luna was a foster, the girl HAD to meet her and came and visited with Luna for several minutes, showed me her cell phone pics of her own small male dog (puggle type) and took the rescue's email address and planned to look them up on FB. She said her and her boyfriend had been talking about getting a second dog so she was going to talk to him about Luna and if he was interested also, would email or FB. She was head over heels for Luna within a minute; Luna played it up and did the wiggle-butt, hand-licking cuteness that a pittie can really rock. She even put out her lower lip and pouted a bit when the girl stopped petting on her (which earned an "awwww")

So everyone cross your fingers that one of these leads (or another great one!) turns into a real home

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Luna is still here with me- we had one potential adoption fall through because Luna is NOT cat-friendly (her previous foster said she liked cats... yeah, for dinner maybe) and one home with an older lab still considering their options (and has not yet met Luna)
But we have the CGC test next week and I can't believe that the dog who couldn't sit still long enough for me to clip on a leash has progressed to this:

(Down-stay at 15 feet in a room full of dogs and people)

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Luna passed her Canine Good Citizen test!!

She did great and she also is off to a good start on her intermediate obedience class (which began on Monday, the classes overlapped for a week). The ever patient Chester has accompanied her to class each week and quietly watched from the sidelines (as I shove treats at him whenever I have a free moment).

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
What a great picture. They're both such good looking dogs.

Any more news about potential permanent homes?
No, no news lately on potential permanent homes. I'm hoping that being able to put on petfinder etc, that she has her CGC will help. It is a good way to show that an unbiased/third-party agrees that her behavior is good and her basic manners are nice. Rescues tend to (understandably in many ways) sugarcoat their dogs' profiles or simply have rose-colored glasses.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Luna is on a trial weekend at a potentially permanent home! Everyone cross your fingers and send the hopeful wishes out here :)

A great couple with a 4-5 year old male Lab who recently lost a pit bull mix to old age and were looking for a young and lively companion to be a cuddly buddy for both the wife and their male dog (a working police dog so very well trained). The rescue people and I met the wife and the Lab for a public meet-and-greet yesterday and the rescue group did the home visit and the introductions with the husband and the dog on his home turf today. Very nice family, every seems to indicate a great match. The rescue said the lab and Luna took to each other like they'd been best friends forever and Luna is already wiggling her way into their hearts.

I hope so much that this works out for her, she's a wonderful dog that deserves a loving home.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts