Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
I agree with exercise her wiggly little butt off, that should help a lot. I consider Pits to be just as people pleasing as Labs... when I trained Bite Inhibition to my Lab, I used a Yelp! and I turned my back. I can still use the Yelp and back turn to communicate "please stop, I don't like that."

However, I'm fairly confident that if you turn your back, Luna will happily jump on you. But, it might not hurt as you're tweaking her Bite Inhibition to consider these other opportunities to apply the training. I recommend as many play opportunities with other dogs, and offer two observations: 1) When Pits get over-excited while playing, they can chomp down pretty hard, and not let go. This isn't aggression, but the blood and stitches are the same. (The only way that I learned that it was Not aggression was that the 'victim' came back to play... still bleeding. And, we got some appeasement behaviors from the Pit.) 2) Our approach was improved Bite Inhibition (as you've already implied), and briefly stopping the play when it grew too exciting. Our goal was first to reduce excitement to stop the holding bite, then it was easier to soften the excited chomp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts