Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious as to why people do this. This is more of a "venting" post lol.

I have a dog-agressive toy-sized mini-dachshund, Lucy (she's very small), who's missing most of her teeth (her original owner never took her to a vet for her gum disease and her teeth rotted out) and everyone thinks she's the most adorable thing ever when she gets angry at other dogs and tries to bite them with her squeeky little high-pitched bark. I would take her to the dog park and she never wanted to walk around anyway, so she just sat up on the bench with me while my other dog ran around. Unfortunately after about four visits, she attacked/bit a boxer, a bull mastiff, a great dane/lab mix, a pitbull, two labs, two rottweilers, a std poodle, and three german shepherds (I love how she picks the ones most able to kill her). And everyone thought it was just so darn cute and while I'm over there telling her no and correcting her, people come up, unwelcomed, and start petting her, telling me it's ok and to lighten up because she's so little, she's not hurting anything.

NO. It's not ok! Every one of those dogs could kill her in one bite, which is why she no longer goes to the dog park. I get the same reactions from people when I'm walking her in my neighborhood, and she finally came up on the wrong dog (pit-boxer) whose owner laughed and thought she was so cute, until his dog snapped back and bit her throat (not faulting his dog since, honestly, Lucy kind of had it coming). She's ok, no major damage, but I wish people wouldn't encourage her aggressive behavior and tell me to "lighten up". My pitbull barks at a chipmunk, playfully, and people panic. Lucy wants to kill another dog and it's cute? Seriously...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Unfortunately after about four visits, she attacked/bit a boxer, a bull mastiff, a great dane/lab mix, a pitbull, two labs, two rottweilers, a std poodle, and three german shepherds (I love how she picks the ones most able to kill her). And everyone thought it was just so darn cute and while I'm over there telling her no and correcting her,
Forget the other people, what on Earth were you doing?!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
But... You shouldn't of kept bringing her back if you knew she would was DA. Why would keep taking her back if you knew she was going to attack the other dogs?

Yes, maybe they shouldn't laughed about it, or thought it was cute... But you should of took her out of the situation when she attacked another dog,& surely shouldn't of taken her back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The people I got her from suggested I take her to the dog park with my other dog to "re-socialize" her. They said to give it a few visits and keep her close to me and she should start to get better. The first time was the worst (over half of the dogs on her resume were in this visit), the second time got better (we stayed away from the majority of the dogs and my brother went with me-she loves my brother), and the third time, she actually didn't have any problems at all other than an overly curious lab that she just growled at. All of the visits were in the time span of about 10 days. But then, we had a home invasion that traumatized her a bit and she went back to normal on the fourth visit (that was the three germans and she bit the boxer after only 20 minutes there and we left). That was the last time she went, which was about 6 weeks ago. The walking incident was just a few days ago. I know it sounds bad, but I was genuinely just trying to help her based on what the rescue people told me.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Taking her to the dog park to "re-socialize" is more likely to escalate things than it is to help. You'll need to work on desensitizing and counter-conditioning - slowly, carefully, and in controlled settings. I'd recommend hiring a qualified behaviorist or very experienced and knowledgeable trainer. Here are a few resources
Directory of Certified Applied Animal Behaviorists
IAABC
Pet Professional Guild

Before doing anything else, you may want to consult with your vet and have him/her check for medical issues that may be behind her aggression.

Until you get some assistance, keep her away from other dogs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts