Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anytime me and my fiance go walking or just anywhere, Lucky just barks like crazy. He won't go up to a person, he'll just stay by our sides and just bark. I've tried to take him up to some people but he doesn't like it very much. And I don't want to pressure him into anything that he doesn't like. How can I get him to stop barking at people, specially children? I want him to like people. And not feel threatened, or feels the need to protect us, when they are friends, or family.

·
Registered
259 Posts
First, it's good that you realize this. Some dogs just aren't the social type. It could be that simple.

Oh, snap! Just randomly noticed your location, good 'ole Demop! Haha, I have plenty of family in and around town and consider it about as much "home" as anywhere else. And I could seriously go for a Po' Boy from Mr. G's right about now.

That aside, do you know the dog's history? Did you get him as a pup or from a previous owner? Perhaps there's some reasons from his past that he's not very apt to strangers and children. The big thing is that, knowing that he obviously doesn't do well around other people, is that you don't force it. Forcing him into a situation that gets him frightened, feeling backed into a corner of sorts, could lead to not-so-good of an outcome. If you want to try to socialize him more, do it in a very controlled manner, limited amount of people such as one or two at a time at the most, and just take very small steps with it. You may find some good sources on the training forum, or try a search on here for better tips and suggestions on socializing your dog. He may simply never be that social butterfly you may want, or you may be surprised. Just don't force it and be very aware of any signs that he's not into it in any given situation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts