Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Naima's mostly Pit-breeds (mostly AmStaff), with a little boxer and maybe a touch of something else. She just turned a year old.

I expected her to have boundless energy, and to require several long walks plus play per day. What I'm finding, instead, is that she wears out pretty quickly, especially when it's hot out (she's mostly black, and we live in Florida where temps are already in the 80's).

I'd planned to work her up to accompanying me on my hour-plus exercise walks, but she gets really worn out after 20-30 minutes. By the time we're almost home she's stopping every time she sees a shady bit of lawn to lay down and take a rest.

It's not that she has NO energy--she does her zoomies, and loves to chase a ball around (especially up and down the stairs) and run around in the shallow end of the pool. It's just that she doesn't have much stamina, and is ready for a nap after a relatively short walk.

I'm not complaining--I'm not a couch potato, but on the other hand I'm kind of relieved that she's not a dog who needs to run 3 hours just to be able to chill for a while. Her energy level is actually perfect for me (although I'd like to take her on my longer walks), but I just keep feeling kind of guilty nevertheless when I don't feel that I've exercised her "enough" (according to my own thinking).

She's been checked by a vet--no heartworm or anything, and no other signs of physical issues. I do think that she might have been the "runt" (is that really a thing?) of her litter, as I met her sister who was considerably bigger than her when I adopted her. She was also half-starved and severely weak (apparently she could barely stand up when she was brought to the shelter) and covered with ticks when she was found at the age of about 3 1/2 to 4 mos. Is it possible that those things could affect her energy level as an adult?

Again, she's just fine as she is as far as I'm concerned. I just keep wondering if it's really OK for her to be happy with one or two 20-30-minute walks and a game or two of fetch per day. (And she's not at all fat--I've been very careful about her portions, and her weight is, as far as I can tell, just right.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
It might be just the heat? I have a 3yr old pit who can be very hyper but calms down really quickly when I want him to
We walk everyday in the winter he would walk 2 hrs or more no problem in the summer 30 min at most and he looks
exhausted lol
I don't think pits are crazy hyper dogs not like aussies but he's more hyper than my Great Dane/lab mix for sure
Pits are great dogs just keep them socialized!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Ginger loves the sun and spends as much time as allowed baking on the patio but she definitely is perkier if it's under 70*F. OTOH I'd rather walk firecracker Bucky when it's warm, he seems more mellow.

We are out and about when UV is lower so are inside between 10-4 or so. Here that automatically means it's more comfortable for the dogs.

Just because a dog doesn't have a wolfy coat like a sled dog doesn't mean they aren't as affected by heat as an Iditarod racing dog. She only has her tongue and toe pads to cool her off.

Try walking earlier or later. Try hosing her down if it's over 75* or so then walking. My dogs won't but some will take water during walks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. Yeah--she's definitely a lot perkier when the temperatures are lower (and she goes kind of nuts when it's windy!), so it's probably mostly that. It's just that it's almost always at least warm here, so it's harder to tell!

She does get water during our walks, and there's even a hose near the beach where I can spray her down and cool her off along the way. As I said, she also loves running around in the pool. So maybe it's just a question of finding "cooler" activities (or trying to walk her when it's cooler, but we usually don't wake up until almost 9 (another reason she's a great dog! :) ), and then there's breakfast, etc. (she just goes outside to pee, etc., very quickly when we first get up).

I wish we had an enclosed yard where I'd feel she was safe running around free and could just find her own level of activity--although around here there are snakes, etc., so I'd always be worried). At some point I plan to move us back up north. I have a feeling she'll LOVE the snow!

Thanks for the input. I still think she's relatively low-energy for her breed(s) and size, and wonder if it has anything to do with the difficulties of the first few months of her life, but it's good to know that others have similar issues with warm weather.

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
It's okay to have a mellow dog :D

But also, it could be the heat/humidity. My older dog Soro can do double digit hikes in the mountains... But if it is above 80-85 degrees or if it's too humid, he is such a slug. He has never stopped and refused to keep going, but the heat and humidity seriously affect his enthusiasm for doing any activities.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's okay to have a mellow dog :D

But also, it could be the heat/humidity. My older dog Soro can do double digit hikes in the mountains... But if it is above 80-85 degrees or if it's too humid, he is such a slug. He has never stopped and refused to keep going, but the heat and humidity seriously affect his enthusiasm for doing any activities.
Yup--I'm seriously OK with mellow!

It's only very early April, and already it's too hot for her (and the asphalt is seriously hot as well already--I usually walk barefoot with her so I'll know). Moving back north is looking like a better option all the time. I'm just worried that she won't be able to get enough exercise if she can't handle being outside much. We play fetch and things inside a lot, and she likes it, but still...

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
She'll almost certainly get conditioned to the weather. She may never be great in August, and it may take more than one spring/summer, but if she's used to being out in it and you don't keep inside super cool, she'll adjust. Just give it time.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I imagine the heat and humidity most certainly have something to do with it. My dog, who is also dark in color, only takes about 15 minutes in the yard to get tired.

It could also just be that she is just a mellow dog. My Aussie/Collie is supposed to be some high energy demon, but at 21 months old he has mellowed out to a low to medium energy dog, all the time, no matter if its cold or what. He'll still walk for miles with me, and if there are toys out he will try to play, but he's one of those dogs that will keep going with you even if he's so tired he's shaking.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
You are basically describing a Luna.

She is perfectly content with minimal/no exercise for days on end. Outings for her are more about having the experience than really needing to get some energy out. And absolutely she has more pep in cooler weather vs the height of summer.

ETA: I wouldn't necessarily call her low energy though. She just has a great off switch (inside she's found on the couch 90% of the time in various states of snoozing, regardless of what we did that day). But chasing her ball reward for agility? She's ON IT.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
If she's stopping 20min into the walk, she's gone far enough. It's likely the heat more than her energy level or conditioning, and as the year goes on she might get more used to it.

Just because she looks like a pittie doesn't mean she *needs* a certain amount of exercise a day. She is who she is, and she's telling you that she's had enough of walking after 20-30min for whatever reason, so I'd respect that.

·
Registered
526 Posts
It definitely is probably related to the heat but it's also possible that she's just a mellow dog. My older girl (a Border Collie/Retriever mix) SHOULD be higher energy but she is the most mellow dog you'll ever meet. Even as a 2 year old when we adopted her. She also has almost NO energy in the heat.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yesterday Bucky's walk was in 55*F. He was quite bonkers and very silly. Panting a lot but that's what he does as soon as the leash comes out of the closet. When I stopped because he was pulling he was sliding around on his belly on nice grass. Probably looked like he was hot a bit but it was in joy at the yummy lovely grass.

Monday it was about 75*F. He was panting and when I stopped because he was lunging he would come to my side but lay down in the grass frog style to cool off panting hard. Walk was about 2/3s of a mile and he started this at the half way point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts