Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...I just came across the site and read some good posts for a while. I'll lay my situation out and then ask the questions. I'm very happy this forum exists and will definitely frequent!

My wife and I rescued a 4-5 year old beagle two weeks ago. She is an adorable, loving dog that absolutely loves people. She is a typical beagle on the leash and sniffs everything at least four times. We have a small crate for sleeping in our bedroom and a larger crate on the first floor for when my wife goes back to teaching in the fall. We take our beagle on 3-5 walks a day and to the park for hours on the weekend. She's a wonderful dog, but she has a few stubborn issues. I should also mention that she seemed housebroken for the first three days we had her, but then she developed a UTI and is just now getting over it.

She is a stubborn walker on the leash. We got her to the point where we can get her to walk next to us with slack in the leash for about half of the walk. If anyone is in sight or if there is any loud noise in the background, she just STOPS and waits, almost like she's judging the situation. Then she usually gets into a mind of her own and starts pulling the lead and going in front of us to sniff all over. We've tried several suggested methods of dealing with it, but it really doesn't seem like a pack issue. She doesn't seem to care who is in front. She's not a social dog. She'll sniff another dog for a few seconds and then act like she's not interested.

The main issue we're having is that now she is just about over her UTI, she sniffs around the house (which seems normal) and then out of nowhere she'll squat and start to pee. We supervise her at all times to the best of our ability, and we usually catch her in the act and clap really loud or tap her on the butt. Then she runs, almost playfully, over to her favorite spot on the couch like she knows she did something bad. We have no idea why she does this! We give her plenty of attention and try to be pack leaders, but it just doesn't seem like she cares about that. She just wants to love humans.

We've considered Bark Busters, but the price tag is rather large. I'm also reluctant to try them because they focus on the pack mentality, but she just doesn't seem like she'd react to "changes in the pack." We do plenty of research and try new things (taking food and water away at certain times, taking her out first thing in the morning and right before bed, among other times throughout the day). She doesn't usually go more than 3-4 hours without going outside for some reason. We don't have a backyard either, so we can't pick her up after we catch her in the act and place her outside without a leash.

Thanks for the time you spent to read this!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The 'trick' to housetraining is catching them in the act....you must not let them finish as that is very self-rewarding. You're on the right track with the hand clap, stomping your foot on the floor, slapping a wall...whatever it takes to interrupt her.

Here's an important step....she must immediately be herded to the right potty area to finish...no picking her up...you don't lead her...you herd her in front of you as she must know/understand the route to the potty area.

Here's a quick tip for the leash problem...cut an old leash to 6"-8" and leave that clipped to her collar....that gives you a tab to grab ahold of quickly...not ideal but, it works in a pinch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. We'll try our best to keep catching her in the act. We have brand new carpets in a brand new house, so it's a little frustrating going through this process. I wish there was a simple fix!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea how I can tone down the tracking? I mean, I know she's a hound and it's her instinct, but if I don't let her go flying off into the distance, the walk is ruined because she is set on tracking the scent. I try holding her in my arms and walking her away, I try coaxing her with treats but she is so stubborn in tracking mode. She's already tearing apart a 2-week old harness! The harness is now 1.5 times its normal size on the smallest setting! She's only 24 pounds but wow can she pull. The crazy tail wagging while tracking is hilarious by the way!

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Do you really mean having control while in tracking mode or having control while loose leash walking? Tracking means having distance control...walking means having control right at your side. The common element to both of these is attention but, attention at a distance (while working with a distractions like scenting) is very advanced obedience work.

For loose leash walking it's very important to show the dog exactly where you want the dog to walk....at your side, slightly ahead, within a 3' circle of you or slightly behind...your choice and it makes no difference what kind of collar or leash you have.

The key move is to always turn around...go back in the other direction whenever the dog gets ahead of you. Some prefer to stop dead...make like a tree but, here's the really important part...treat and praise whenever the dog catches up or comes into the zone that you want him....you're rewarding him for where he is supposed to walk.

You need to master the loose leash (close) work before you can tackle the distance work. In the meantime, you're building the necessary attention skills and I recommend doing all of the other attention exercises/games in preparation for that distance control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts