Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Guess you wouldn't want to be around my dogs then. Mine don't heel; sit sometimes/most of the time...stay is the same. Leave it when they feel like it. They eat Authority. They walk ok on a leash. They DO have their teeth cleaned by the vet every other year (can't afford every year). Aren't obese and don't get table scraps (unless you count popcorn). They chase each other around the yard. When it's not 105 outside we go to the dog park every Sunday (unless it's raining). But I love my critters more than anything in the world...I have a cat too. And there isn't anything I wouldn't do for them.

Please don't try to "teach" your roommate how to train his dog. Maybe you could be taught not to be so righteous in how you think a dog should be raised.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think the idea that would bother me is that a lot of these things are health issues. The plaque on the teeth can lead to a body-wide infection. I know--we went through that with my mom's older dog, Zuzi.

The obesity can cause joint problems, heart problems, etc.

I don't think it's an issue of "My way is right, the other is wrong" when it comes to health care.

I don't give advice unless someone asks most of the time. If they ask, I will absolutely let them know what I know and my experience.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, the whole point was I'm not about to try to 'teach' my roommate because he's already set in his ways with how he raised his dog, and his dog is happy.
Do I think he should spend more time with his dog? Absolutely. Have I said anything to him that would imply he is a bad owner? Nope. Unless you count, "Hey, I think (dog's name) has fleas."

"But who's to say that a dog can't just be Happy (but have no leash manners, unhealthy teeth, obese from table scraps... but HAPPY! and LOVED!) I know dogs who know NOTHING but are very happy (same for owners).
Do you try to 'change' people like that, or... should they be changed/'taught' this idea of 'proper dog ownership?' "

The reason why I put words and phrases like "changed" and "proper dog ownership" in quotes is because I don't know if people can just come and say "All dogs should be raised THIS WAY." My opinions, that dogs should know how to Sit, Come etc. won't change. Neither will yours or the way you raise your dogs. But I didn't mean this as an attack on people like you :/

EDIT: Whoops, multiple replies before mine!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If the dogs aren't in any danger I would mostly leave it alone. I say this having had a very similar roommate situation where my very occasional "suggestions" were a part (although probably only a small part given the other stuff that happened between us) of what turned our relationship sour. Except in my case the dog legitimately needed to be better trained and more exercised, because she was destructive, frustrated and not potty trained. While I think your roommate's dog's quality of life could probably be improved by more walks and better food, I don't think it's worth getting upset over personally. You might maybe get into a discussion about dog food and how you got a really good deal on this stuff that is really high quality or something, and if she inquires about it you could educate her a bit. But again, if the dog is trained enough to be happy in the house and is getting potty breaks and a small amount of play time, I think it just comes down to personal difference. For me, roommate situations are precarious enough as it is!

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I think this is true for a lot of people. I think a lot of us started there, too. I didn't know much of any thing when I got Smalls other than what I read online. She ate Pedigree and learned very basic commands that didn't mean much, but damn if I didn't love her. I paid all the money I had to save her life and my days revolved around her.

Jonas is my dog who knows nothing but is happy. He has never successfully learned any commands. He literally knows nothing, but I don't care. He doesn't NEED to know any thing. He came to me so damaged that the fact he lives a happy life and enjoys things rather than when he came here and lunged at every one and was frightened of every thing is good enough for me.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Please don't try to "teach" your roommate how to train his dog. Maybe you could be taught not to be so righteous in how you think a dog should be raised.
I don't think that it is 'righteous'. They said they have no plans to 'teach' him or change the way he's raising his current or future dog. I also don't think that there is anything wring with giving someone -healthy and sound- advice (or having a civil conversation about dog foods and bringing up -facts- about their brand and another brand). I do think it's absurd that you would consider trying to be helpful and informative to someone and to educate them - maybe not in -your- way of raising and training a dog but just general dog information. Such as selecting food or general health care or exercise as 'righteous'

:(

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Everyone does stuff differently. I'm sure a lot of people here would think I'm a terrible owner since Bella's going on 5 years old and still doesn't have a reliable stay or recall... and probably never will. When I see someone doing something I don't agree with I try to politely bring up the subject and make them aware of the issue without sounding condescending. For instance a friend was feeding benefull and I brought up the subject that I had just recently switched Bella to innova because I found out that the ingredients in her old dog food were really bad. The person hasn't changed their food but at least they know that there is better stuff out there.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. The best we can do is try to give the dogs we own the best care possible and hope others pick up on the things we believe need improvement.

·
Registered
115 Posts
He isn't walked. Ever. His owner plays fetch with him for like 3 minutes a day and randomly gives him attention (Like saying "Hi!" and patting him in passing). He gets let out into the backyard to do his business. That's the extent of his activity.
This proves your point more than anything else. I don't understand what the others mean when they call you righteous. Dogs have certain needs. I don't agree with much of Cesar Millan, but I find his "three canine needs" to be spot on.

1. Exercise
2. Discipline
3. Love

Those three, in order of decreasing importance. If you are not providing enough of the first two, then you're really shortchanging your animal, as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Would he come read this forum if you told him how interesting it was? Maybe read some of the funnier threads to him, to get him interested? Maybe that would be a start, and then you could mention websites like Dogfoodanalysis.com.
Would he take his dog for a walk with you if you invited him?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
If Eddie were to meet a lot of people here with their dogs...I'd probably be asked to take him and go very far away...and I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I totally know what you meant and I did not find any of your posts righteous at all. Please do not feel the need to edit just because one individual gets bent out of shape. I think youre right. My parents love their dogs to bits, and they do keep up with vet care, however that is about it. The dogs dont have any training, and though they have a large yard, they get no excercise other than that yard. My parents do not buy them toys, I am told they dont play with them. My mom also feeds pedigree and table scraps.

I dont push my ideas of dog care on them. I do discuss good foods and the fact that we do not feed Rocky table scraps, but I do not push any of my ideas down their throats. Do their dogs seem happy? Every time I have seen them they sure do. My parents do love their pets, even if the way they do some things are a bit old fashioned.

·
Registered
348 Posts
My childhood cairn terrier was what I would now consider to be horribly neglected. She never got walked except for maybe once a month when I (as a very young child) would take her to the park (usually off leash) and walk around a couple blocks. She had a terrible fear of dogs -- the kind where if another dog approached her, she'd attempt to climb up your leg to get to your arms... but that was never an issue, because she never got exposed to other dogs as she was almost always in the house. She was free fed Science Diet, and I have no idea how much she ate each day, but she turned into a 23 lb cairn terrier...

She did get some fetch, but we had to stop because she would hurt herself chasing after the ball. She ended up needed surgery on both her back knees. Her teeth were never brushed. Her coat didn't get groomed nearly enough, and she almost always had a crispy beard with mats in her arm/leg(?) pits. She also often smelled bad. She didn't know any commands, except for maybe a "come" command, but I think that was just an example of how smart she was.

But she was very, very well loved. She slept at the foot of my parent's bed every night. My mother still tears up when she talks about her. She never lacked for attention and affection, and spent most nights watching TV in my dad's lap with the family. It just makes me feel so guilty because, had I known more about dogs then, I could have done more to give her what I feel would have been a better life... but she didn't seem to be unhappy.

So I don't know. I have a very developed idea of what dogs need to be happy, but I meet a lot of dogs who don't get those things and are still happy. I've met the underexercised, understimulated dog that is still a great companion without behavior issues. I'm friends with a lot of people that have those dogs. If I expected everyone to live up to my standards of dog care, I'd probably go crazy, so I try to just focus on what matters. Is the dog cared about? Does it have food, water, and protection from the elements? Is it being provided with the necessary vet care? If it is, I try to just be glad that it's a dog with a home and people to love it, and likely won't end up in a shelter.

Now, if those friends come to me asking advice on getting a new puppy, I'll try to dissuade them if it's a higher energy breed, and point them in the direction of a dog that doesn't need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation, or encourage them to adopt something low energy from the shelter. That's one of the good things about being known as the "dog freak" in my social circle -- they know that I'm knowledgeable about dogs, even if they think I'm a little "obsessed" and are likely to at least consider my opinion most of the time. I try not to give it when it's unasked for, though... I just make it known that if they ever wanted to talk about it, I'd be up for it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I understand what you mean.

My MIL is like that. She loves her dogs, I can see that and her dogs are happy. They don't walk them, no parks, not much discipline, have mild SA and fears amplified by improper soothing, but they are adored. She overspoils them with food and that's where I'm concerned as theyre not in the best of health. Still, I try to not force anything on her and only talked food when she asked me why ky dogs cannot have treats or touch the free feeders if we go visit. I explained what is in dog food and left some as a treat for hers but didn't suggests changes she isn't willing to make on her own. I understand that she gives a bunch of treats because its a way of showing them love. Only time I pushed her into a decision was when her dog was in massive pain from his teeth. She didn't want to take him because since he's in bad health she feared they'll say he has cancer and needs to be put down. We all got that out her head and brought both her dogs for a dental. It's her last set of dogs...she will eventually live with us and she made the decision it isn't fair to bring animals into our home who will be raised in a clashing way.

I've also seen the other side of the spectrum where the dog is on point with commands, fed the best, socialized, in agility/shows, impeccable grooming, etc.... But I don't see affection between dog and owner like my MIL does for hers.

My ideal is somewhere in the middle. I want my dogs to have discipline, be exercised and loved.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I wish you could get your roomate to just read some of the things on this forum. I never realized that I was making my poor little dogs ill from feeding them Beneful for four years until I started reading about food and health on here! Yikes.....my dogs probably would thank some people on here if they could! :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've also seen the other side of the spectrum where the dog is on point with commands, fed the best, socialized, in agility/shows, impeccable grooming, etc.... But I don't see affection between dog and owner like my MIL does for hers.

My ideal is somewhere in the middle. I want my dogs to have discipline, be exercised and loved.
I agree with you. I've found myself getting sucked into feeling guilty at times, wondering if I am doing enough for Luke...giving him enough. Whenever I have those moments my Mom and my gf smack me upside the head and give me one heck of a lecture, because in all honesty, he is treated like a God in this house. My entire world revolves around him. I spend every waking and sleeping moment I can with him, doing whatever I can to make him happy. I spend money I really can't afford right now with my financial situation being the pits, on the best food on the market because he must have the best. I force myself to get up out of bed when I can barely stand up straight, to take him out on long walks and park runs so he won't be bored. Yet, I've sometimes wondered if I am doing enough because I don't have him in some dog sport (which I know he really wouldn't be into anyway...he's very much a homebody in the sense that he really prefers just doing things with me and him alone...he doesn't want to spend hours in training, he doesn't want to be constantly surrounded by other dogs and people) I look at some GD's and their owners, like Green Bean and Honey the Great Dane, who lead such full lives, always busy, traveling, etc...and even though I know that that's not Luke...I feel like I'm failing him somehow by not doing those things. Then I have a reality check and I realize that he has the life that suits HIM. Where he is literally the center of attention 24/7, there is no competition...he is healthy and well behaved, well trained. Maybe he doesn't know as many commands as some of those danes I know, but he knows a heck of a lot more than the average dog I see. Maybe he doesn't jump to obey those commands every time, immediately and without question....but he is who he is and that is a guy who has his stubborn moments ;). He's not a robot.
Ever since he came into my life, I've gotten more flak for making him too much a part of my life, for treating him too well (if you can imagine that!) than people who neglect their dogs receive. Most people just don't "get" the relationship I have with him. And that's ok. I have fewer and fewer moments know of wondering "am I doing enough?", "does he know enough?". He will never be Honey The Dancing Dane...but he is perfect for me, and he couldn't ask for a more loving and devoted person to live his life with him than me. We truly are soul mates. That's enough for me.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I didn't find the post righteous, either. Some of the issues are health issues: overweight, plaque, fleas! I agree that things like heeling, and sitting, and other commands can all be personal preference, but the other things are about health, and helping the dog be more comfortable. Nothing wrong with being concerned about that.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts