Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm feeding my boerboel puppy blue buffalo large breed dog food.the seeing suggestion is 5-7 lbs. She seems to love it. She week demolish 3.5 cups twice a day.

I've noticed that she's still looking around after she has cleaned the bowl. I have thought about giving a 1/2 cup or so more, but then I think about her poop. She poops multiple times (like 4-6 during the day). They are decently formed, but it just seems like a lot.

Is this normal? To poop so many times? Also is there any reason to give her more food? I wonder if she's just pooping it all out?

Thanks,
Jim

P.s. she's almost 8 months and 85lbs

Read more: http://www.mastiff-forum.com/showthread.php/22389-lots-of-poop!#ixzz3DzT0uWQU

Dallas is on the left

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
You're feeding 7 cups a day? That is an awful lot of food. I guess if your dog is a workng dog or is very active then maybe but it still seems like a lot. I would think more food = more poop.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I looked up the food I think youre feeding and the online guide suggested 5 cups. Feeding guides are typically on the high end so another 2 extra cups seems like a lot. How is your dogs physique? Does she have a defined waist , an uptuck and can you feel her ribs easily? The best way to judge if you are feeding the right amount is to look at your dog.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
That seems like a lot of food. She should probably be off the puppy food now as they usually recommend large breed puppies go on regular dog food by her age as you do not want them growing too fast or getting too heavy. I know Kris, my Doberman, when she was that age she would never poop that often.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm not a fan of blue buffalo foods, IMHO many dogs have had lots of issues with Blue Buffalo foods.

IMHO, she's still hungry because the food is not giving her what she needs - she's pooping out just as much as she's taking in, in my opinion it means the food is not digesting and giving her the nutrients she needs.

Find a different food - you're *crapping* your money away - literally.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We tried Blue Buffalo for our puppy a couple weeks ago. He was previously eating Wellness. As soon as we switched to Blue Buffalo, he started pooping twice as much...both in frequency and amount. The consistency was better on Blue Buffalo, but he was going way more than on the Wellness. It was crazy so we switched back to Wellness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts