Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had the sweetest dog named "Peggy Sue" a 12 year old Jack Russell . I had to let her go about a month ago. I will make this as short as possible she had no problems went to vegas for 3 days, came back the vet said she was favoring her left leg at times. Figured she was not used to being kenneled so long and it would work itself out. When she ever went to the bathroom she would go out fine but come in limping. Put her on NSAIDS figure that would help with the pain till whatever happened healed. She had to be hand feed from the time I got back or she would not eat her food at all. Two days later she went out and came back in not being able to hardly move either leg. After a while she was draging the left one behind her and hopping on her right leg. Got xrays done showed her hips would go out of joint at times and the left knee was able to be taken out of joint as well. No back issues noted. She is a small dog only 16 pounds. Vet wanted to give NSAIDS another day or two they did not work so we started her on steroids. She seemed to be getting a bit better at least not going totally lame. Week after this al started I came home to her in a pile of undigested food. We gave her a shot and got some pills for nausea. Changed her food and stopped everything but her Seizure meds. She did have a history of seizures had been on Phenobarbitaol and pot bromide for about 8 years no seizures for many years. Next day she seemed to be getting her appetite back she actually ate her food out of the bowel. I thought she had turned the corner. The Sunday she ate good that AM but mid morning she started to pant and did not want to move. She drank some the rest of the day but never ate again the rest of the day. I made her comfortable by dinner time she could barely walk by bedtime I had to carry her everywhere. Took her to the Vet in the AM 10 days after getting back from Vegas. He said it was time to let her go she was suffering too much he had no idea what was causing this. He said mid way through this only way left to find out was an MRI which at 12 years of age I did not want her to go through surgery due to age and seizure problems. Her blood work showed a low albumin blood level and a high protein urine content. What on earth could have caused a Dog that was running around the yard and playing to having to be put to rest 10 days later? Could it be the liver due to the long use of Phenobarbitol her levels were not much higher than they had been? Could it be Kidneys she did not seem to urinate the last 24 hours but she could barely stand so she may have gone when I let her out but I could not tell.. This has been weighing on my mind figure a place like this may give me some answers. Thanks sorry for the log post. She was like a child to me I just want answers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i would second the guess for kidney failure, the pheno. meds are hard on the liver, as you know, and her being on for 8 years probably had some effects as well. I know it's not easy to have to be the one to make the call for them. But i'm sure that she had many happy years with you and is grateful that you knew when to let her go. I'm positive that she'll be waiting at the rainbow for you!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts