Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 18 month old Cavalier, Lucy, had diarrhea in her crate last week, pretty bad. We took her to the vet, she tested negative for giardina. The vet put her on Flagyl and another med that we sprinkled over her food, also put her on a bland chicken and rice diet.

She progressively got better once the diarrhea seemed to run its course.

A few days ago, after Lucy was almost 100%, I decided to give her a Mother Hubbard Peanuttier treat. This seemed to cause the diarrhea again that night. I have my suspicions these treats made her sick the first time. I did not take her to the vet this time. I moved her back to a bland diet off her normal Royal Canine.

In the meantime, i researched foods and decided to switch her to Orijin and not go back to the Royal Canin. We are on the first day of introducing a moderate amount of Orijin mixed with her chicken and rice diet. She just pooped in the kitchen.

How worried should I be? She still had running poops. Not terrible, but still pudding like. Should I give her a while to get adjusted to the Orijin and if, in a week, she's still not 100% see the vet? I am worried she has something the vet didn't test for, or the giardina is back.

I know this is a long post, thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
As long as she's healthy you might want to just try fasting her for a day to give her system a rest. Then start again but add the Orijen in more slowly and see how that goes. You could also get some slippery elm bark powder and add a bit of that to the food for the loose stools.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im trying to wait it out. It's almost like she's pooping water. There's not even much color to it.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Call your vet. She may need to be on the flagyl for a longer period of time. Tell your vet too about the treat that you suspect caused the d. Also that you would like to switch her dog food from Royal Canine to Orijin.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Vet put her on another week's worth of Flagyl as a precaution. She has gotten much better. We have switched her to Orijin and all seems right with the world. Knock on wood!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After another week of Flagyl and all clear on the poop front, she went back to diarherra today. Vet put her on a very heavy dose of Flagyl, she thinks it could be a pretty bad GI bug that Lucy just can't kick. :( This is awful.

·
Registered
172 Posts
bismarck is allergic to chicken. when he eats something with chicken in it, it really messes up his bowels, makes his ears turn pink, and he itches like there's no tomorrow. he groans when you itch his ears.

make sure that you're not treating something that doesn't need to be treated. is there anyone else in your house that could be feeding the dog anything? anyone that takes your dog for walks?
basically, since you said when you gave your dog the peanut butter treats, it really messed him up. i just want to make sure you know what is going in your dog with 100% certainty. that way you're not trying to fix something at the vet that might not need to be fixed.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm the only one who walks her. My wife and I are the only ones in the house and we are absolute Nazis about what Lucy eats. (She's on Orijen, only, not even on treats for the time being).

I don't think she's allergic to chicken. She was on Royal Canin for the first year of her life, then WHAM she got the runny poop. Switched to Orijin. After both treatments of Flagyl she got better immediately. When she was off the flagyl for two day, bam, both times, running explosive poop.

Vet thinks she just can't beat something in her intestines. :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
i had bismarck on consecutive treatment for giardia.

roughly 2 weeks on it, at the end of week 1, he still had really mushy, non formed poo, so i told this to the vet, and she gave another weeks worth of pills. he seems to be doing ok now.

i did alot of research on giardia when i was told he may have it. seems as if the test that the vet does, only detects for a certain time in the life cycle of the parasite. they sent a sample off the the county, who does a different test (smear/slide/microscope), and they found the cycsts in his poo, so he did have giardia.

while he's been fighting it, treats are severely limited, mostly i treat him with his regular dog food (evo).
he varies from hard poo one day, to i really don't want to say mushy, as it's still formed, but it's not "hard" like on some days.

all in all, he seems to be ok now.

best of luck with your guy!!

*edit*
i even went to far as to study up on homeopathic treatments of giardia, as i didn't want to leave biz on the drugs for too long of time (who knows what side effects he could have later due to the drugs, just my opinion).
if you want, i can link you to a site that has a lot of info on homeopathic treatments.

·
Registered
122 Posts
She was on Royal Canin for the first year of her life, then WHAM she got the runny poop. Switched to Orijin. After both treatments of Flagyl she got better immediately. When she was off the flagyl for two day, bam, both times, running explosive poop
I am a vet tech, and I think you have two problems going on here.

First, the original cause of the diarrhea was probably caused by food sensitivity.
She could very well be allergic to chicken.
I'm surprised that your vet didn't try a food elimination trial, using a prescription diet with only one protein source, since switching to the Orijin food didn't help her diarrhea.

Second, since she tested negative for parasites, giving her large dosages of antibiotics have only upset the balance of her beneficial intestinal bacteria, making her diarrhea worse.

These are some products that in my experience, have been known to help dogs with chronic diarrhea of unknown cause.
They can be purchased without a prescription.
One of them, Medi-Bulk, promotes bulkng action to the stool, and helps to eliminate any toxins.
All of these products would help to restore the beneficial intestinal bacteria that has been lost through the use of antibiotics.

http://wellvet.com/herbalbulk.html

http://wellvet.com/gastriplex.html

http://wellvet.com/paraguard.html

She could also possibly have inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), or pancreatitis.
A great deal more could be learned by putting her on an elimination prescription diet.

Ask your veterinarian about doing a elimination food triaL, using a prescription diet with only one source of protein, and one source of carbs.

Also, I did look up the food you have her on.
It is grain free, but does contain eggs, which can trigger allergic gastroenteritis in some dogs.

If your vet will not consider an elimination food trial, I would highly recommend seeking a second opinion.

Just my two cents.

Good luck...:).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Pit Bull...
She got the diarherra while eating Royal Canine. I only switched to Orijin afterward.

Timeline looks like this.

Eating RC ---> Diarherra --> Take her off RC, onto a bland diet, give her flagyl ---> gradually put her onto Orijin ---> fine on Orijin while still on flagyl---> off Flagyl for two day ---> Diarherra again. Back on Flagyl for 7 more days while still eating Orijin----> off Flagyl for two days, diarherra again.

The X factor here is the Flagyl. Once she's off it, she's runny.

Moker...
Lucy tested negative, too. I'm not sure if they did the more complicated smear. Whatever is wrong with her, Flagyl helps and a few days after her prescription runs out, she's runny again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Okay, thanks for the information.....

In this case, I would strongly recommend fasting her for 24 hours, then try feeding her only the bland diet for a month or so, and see if that helps any.

If it's something in the food she's eating now, fasting for 24 hours, with water only, and then feeding her a bland diet afterwards, should help dramatically.

It's possible that she could be allergic to something that's in both foods you've had her on.

If fasting and bland diet don't help, it's something other than the food that's causing the diarrhea.

It's important to at least eliminate the possibility that it's a food sensitivity, and then other possible causes can be more thoroughly investigated.

·
Registered
122 Posts
But.......have you tried fasting her with water for 24 hours, and then afterwards, trying the bland diet?

By bland diet, I'm talking about plain rice with chicken broth.
You would need to feed the bland diet for about a month.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No. Our vet had us boil chicken, shred it and add it to the rice.

If it is a chicken allergy, would that come on all of a sudden? One day she's fine, the next, she's explosive? Because that's what happened. I really hope this round of Flagyl kicks it.

I wouldn't mind going to a bland diet like you suggested for a month, then trying to put her on a single source protein food (like Orijen Six Fishes). We'll have to see. As of this morning, her poops are good again.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm glad she's doing better....:)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far, so good. She's due to come Flagyl next week, so we'll see what happens...fingers crossed. My mother in law is watching her because we'll be out of town...should be interesting.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts