Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, Duke was diagnosed with Giardia about a month ago. We were having trouble having his pop return to normal after the antibiotics so we started him on Perfect Form. It's working very well and we've gradually returned to his dog food. He's been back on the food for about 2 weeks now. I've only given him an occasional treat once or twice since then. I've noticed that any time we give him a treat, he has a loose poop. I'm not sure if he's just not ready to handle them as of yet of if there might be some other type of treat to try. He usually gets a soft Milkbone or a few bacon flavored training treats from Petsmart. He was fine with these treats prior to the belly issues.
Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe try eliminating corn/wheat. I got giardia a few years ago and I had to go gluten-free for a year! It was a mess! PJ has to eat corn/wheat-free treats. If I give him something with corn/wheat, then his stoles are very loose.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe try eliminating corn/wheat. I got giardia a few years ago and I had to go gluten-free for a year! It was a mess! PJ has to eat corn/wheat-free treats. If I give him something with corn/wheat, then his stoles are very loose.
Thanks PJStar. He eats grain free so I will give that a try. An y suggestions on good, fairly cheap ones?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I generally make treats for my dogs from recipes I Google up! ... this way I know for certain what goes into them. My dogs are allowed Milk bones ... but they do have wheat in them... so you may want to avoid them. There is a good recipe for peanut butter treats ..... here ..... Just be sure to never allow a dog to have apple seeds ... they are toxic!

http://www.bestbullysticks.com/blog...er-dog-treat-recipe-101-dog-care-tips-tip-79/

·
Registered
891 Posts
I had a similar problem with Molly & treats. Anything with more than a few ingredients doesn't agree with her & she gets loose poops. Now I dry tiny pieces of liver or heart on parchment paper in the fridge & use that for treats. She has done well with the roasted lung puffs from Primal, also a one ingredient treat.

(Molly also had Giardia as a puppy. After reading the poster above who had it & had a year of related issues, I almost wonder if this isn't what's also happening with Molly.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. I got a bag of grain free treats at our local petsmart today. I don't really have time to make them. I stuck with a chicken based treat since he is currently eating chicken. I'll let you know how things "come out" later today.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
We bought a bag of Zukes Mini Naturals at Petsmart yesterday. They came in 3 flavours (Peanut butter, chicken, liver) and were $5.49. Petsmart also has `Fruitibles`on sale right now $3.99 a bag. They`re soy, wheat, and corn free.

Also, both our cat and dog absolutely love Purebites all-natural freeze-dried chicken breast. We`re crate training right now, and it was initially the only think that would get Snowball to enter the crate. I originally bought them because before we got a dog we were dog sitting and I wanted something that I could give the cat after the rental-dog went back home. They are definitely the best treats we could`ve bought. They`re about $5 for a 1.5oz bag. They have other flavours too: duck liver, beef liver, turkey breast, whitefish, cheddar cheese, and trailmix (Which is liver with beans and sweet potato). For us, they`re worth having around because both animals will do just about anything for a tiny piece.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your dog liked the bones you used to give him but are looking for a healthier option now that won’t upset his stomach or give him diarreah, try the Healthy Bones from Natural Balance. My dogs love the taste and crunch, but unlike many dog biscuits on the market, they are only made with all-natural ingredients and even have added zinc and vitamins. I get mine online or at Petco. They have a bunch of flavor combos, with things like oatmeal, pumpkin, quinoa, etc.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was trying grain free buddy biscuits for a day or so. I'm not sure but they may be giving him gas. We went into a pet store yesterday and when we weren't looking he at a few of the homemade biscuits that were left loose for sale. Today his stools were very loose, ugh. I'm gonna wait a few days for all this junk to clear his system and try to start again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts