Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's my thought that teaching a hyper-space cadet or reactive dog to walk loose leash is a positive as it will learn to focus on the handler than the rest of the world in general.

At the shelter where I volunteer we often have a number of these dogs, and I have been trying to train them loose leash, but they have the worst times with paying attention even for a Cadillac of a treat. Quieter dogs I can get in line in one walk.

Most come around in a quiet room, but outside they loose all hope again. Are there any tricks that are useful to help out these dogs?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
It's tough with shelter dogs as they are often way too full of energy to be able to focus well. I had this issue when trying to work with dogs at a shelter. I would start by getting them into a quieter room, letting them have a chance to run around and play with you if possible for several minutes to get the edge off, and then try working with them. I'd use whatever the regular treats are, and then have super yummy treats like cheese, peanut butter, or hot dogs may help for when you go back outside.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't work at a shelter but I also agree. The initial edginess and all the energy can make things harder, so that some exercise before going out can help.

Also, another thing might be coz the dogs lacks of enough experience/stimuli, that when they get to be free and experience the outside world, everything is so exciting and overwhelming that they don't really listen to anyone at all. Dogs that usually goes out often and to many places wouldn't react much coz they already know about the world.

So maybe for leash training, let them have some play or exercise before going out, and then let them sniff and look around for a while during walks, and then when they are calmer you can start to get their attention and do the training. :)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
This may be beside the point of excitement in the shelter...

But for loose leash training, look up Kikopup, 'loose lease ,' and 'silk leash'

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your comments, I am going to try to burn off some of that excess energy before I start, as I hear where you are coming from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts