Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping to teach my pup Finnley to walk politely beside me so I can start running with him, but I'm unsure how to begin Loose Leash Training, and I was wondering if it could be explained? Also, how likely is it to work? Chance of failure?

I am hoping to begin running with him, and also getting him into agility. But before I begin, I am working on teaching him the command "Watch Me" so he can ignore distractions, which he is doing really well on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
How old is your dog? I've always had big dogs (besides 1 Maltese) and was taught to train with choker chains and German commands (20+ years), but a lot of people on here are against that, probably because they don't know how to properly use them..... but my ultimate goal for every dog is off leash training, and I've been very successful. Give us some more info on how you are training now and we can give you advice.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Stick with the links that Hector4 posted. It's a great method and will work just fine with the vast majority of dogs. Chance of failure will be minimized, perhaps even negated, as long as you are consistent with its application.

I'd refrain from using any collar corrections, especially if part of your goal is to do some agility. If you learn to use R+ in all aspects of training rather than punishment, I think you'll find that your dog will be a happier worker and much more willing to comply.

Hector4 - thanks for posting those. Together, they form an excellent, comprehensive overview of just about everything a person will need to know, in order to establish some strong LLW skills with their dog.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Stick with the links that Hector4 posted. It's a great method and will work just fine with the vast majority of dogs. Chance of failure will be minimized, perhaps even negated, as long as you are consistent with its application.

I'd refrain from using any collar corrections, especially if part of your goal is to do some agility. If you learn to use R+ in all aspects of training rather than punishment, I think you'll find that your dog will be a happier worker and much more willing to comply.

Hector4 - thanks for posting those. Together, they form an excellent, comprehensive overview of just about everything a person will need to know, in order to establish some strong LLW skills with their dog.
You're welcome - these are great and very detailed. There are tons of free videos on LLW on youtube with marker/clicker training too.

I personally am against using aversives during the teaching phase. I truly believe that dogs are smarter than that. I also believe in building a strong trusting relationship. I want my dog to be motivated to learn and there's always opportunities down the road for correcting the dog for disobedience. I continue to practice LLW extensively to this day with my mastiff so he doesn't forget or lose this skill. Not to brag, but I can walk him and heel him in a pulling harness. It's not easy, but you can get there. Dr. Sophia Yin's articles were the first ones I found while looking for another way to train my dog after seeing how negatively my pup reacted to the prong collar (this was recommended by a local schutzhund trainer with high merits and ratings). In the end, you know your dog best. You should always take into account of your dog's reaction and your end goals with whichever method you choose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts