Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to train my pooch to walk politely on a leash using the methods outlined in the sticky post in this forum. I live in an apartment, so I have to take him out to go to the bathroom several times a day. Should I not worry about incorrect walking during potty breaks, or should I be walking backwards with a pocketful of treats every time I want to take him out? Should I carry him outside for potty breaks so I don't undo training sessions from earlier? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for all the new threads. I'm a first time puppy owner so I'm trying to learn all of the ropes at the same time. I really appreciate everybody's help.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You should be taking your dog to the designated area and giving the cue to go bathroom. Don't worry about leash training at that time, just get him to his designated spot and have him go. Once he's gone, take him for a short walk and do leash training then.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You should be taking your dog to the designated area and giving the cue to go bathroom. Don't worry about leash training at that time, just get him to his designated spot and have him go. Once he's gone, take him for a short walk and do leash training then.
Totally agreed. I am a new owner as well, and I only take my pup on a walk (to train the loose leash) after he has done his business. That way, it's incentive for him to go quicker because he knows he has a fun walk ahead of him, like a real world reward.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I teach a dog to walk loose leash on a collar. For times when you don't have time to work on that, I recommend a front attach harness, so you don't mess up your LLW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you don't think all of the pulling he does on the way to his spot will convince him that if pulling works some of the time, it's worth trying? That's what I'm worried about.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
So you don't think all of the pulling he does on the way to his spot will convince him that if pulling works some of the time, it's worth trying? That's what I'm worried about.
It's not a linear relationship but...the strength of the dog's reinforcement history will dictate how convincing pulling works.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
That's the beauty of a front attach. How do you pull against something that is in FRONT of you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts