Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm talking about weight:D Tank has always been a hard dog to keep weight on. Even at the age of 7-8 it is still hard. I really like him at this weight and before I ask my vet what do you guys think?? He weighed 75ish last time weighed about 3-4 months ago. I did have to fill him out a little more because he was looking to skinny.

Keep in mind he has really bad hips and I have to keep him thin. I might have to take 2 or three pounds off of him to tell the truth.

·
Registered
291 Posts
It's hard to tell from this photo but I would hazard a guess that, as I don't see too much of a tummy tuck, he is carrying a few too many.

Quick way to check is to pinch a good hold of the skin on his side near the last rib. Now slowly squeeze and see if you can feel a second layer slid between your thumb and fingers. If you can then his over.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I don't know much about that, but I would venture a guess and say he looks okay. Another way to tell is if you can feel their ribs, then they're fine. But of course I'm not sure cause I could feel Luke's ribs and apparently he has to loose 2 1/2lbs says the vet. Good luck with the vet visit; I'm sure it'll all go well. :)

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can feel his ribs if I rub my hand over him. I will try and get a better pic today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Personally, I would say he can stand to lose a few pound. Especially, with bad hips. I like my dogs on the lean side, myself.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
here is a better pic.

Also his weight is weird and how he feels. he can look over-weight but you can feel the back bone and you ain't supposed to feel that!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts