Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there is a lady that lives down the street from me that has an 8 year old husky cross. well, i guess the dog is older than that now, he was 8 last summer...anyway, not the point of my story :) this lady never has her dog on leash, when he is out he is off leash and on the sidewalk, she even walks him off leash. she must know of the leash laws because she carries the leash with her. we first met them last year when iorek was 8 months old and very hyper (he still is!) and her dog came up onto the sidewalk to see iorek. his body language to me clearly said that he was not interested in being friends. he was very stiff-legged and while his tail was wagging it was very straight up and just the tip was moving. the lady asked us a few questions and we talked about how i didn't think that her older dog would like to play with my hyper puppy. she said no, her dog loves other dogs. (yeah right!) i was polite and just said good bye and left.

the next time i ran into her i was alone, my husband was at work. she invited me and iorek in to play with her dog! first of all, her dog was still acting the same way and she is a stranger! she might be the nicest person in the world but i am still not going into a stranger's house. i declined saying that i was in a rush and had to go.

we ran into them a few other times between last fall and now, since we stopped walking on the sidewalk in the winter when the salt is on the road.

in the past few weeks we have run into them again. she actually asked us to let iorek off leash so he could run and play with her dog on the side of the street!! our street is pretty busy. we said no thank you and continued on.

finally, the other day she asked my why i would not let my dog play with her dog. he has always acted towards iorek the same way, stiff walking, stiff tail, hackles a little raised. i told her that i didn't think that her dog liked my dog too much. she said oh no, he loves everyone! i said that i think that since iorek is so young and hyper and her dog is basically a senior i didn't think that her dog would like it. she keeps insisting that her dog loves other dogs and that they should play!

i am so frustrated with her now that i hate to walk down my street. it is really bad since that is the way that we go to walk iorek down to the lake. what should i do? i don't want iorek to have a bad experience with this dog. a few days ago her dog came all the way up the sidewalk to stare at iorek. i feel like telling her that she is supposed to have him contained by law.

what would you do?

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I would just tell her that your not comfortable with her dogs body language toward your dog and that you think it'd be best that they don't play together. I'd be polite but firm.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Just keep telling her your reason. Hopefully she'll let up eventually and leave you alone.

You can tell her she is supposed to have him contained, but I have a feeling it'll do no good.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Yikes! What a loon!

It seems like you have a pretty good handle on doggy body language. Lots of people don't, and can't read their dogs.

I know it's frustrating, but stick to your guns with this lady. If you think that Iorek would be too much for this dog, you're probably right. Most senior dogs don't like to play with puppies- especially rough, near-adolescent sams! :D

Is there another way you can walk Iorek with out running into this lady?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. i thought that maybe i am over reacting. i just know how far iorek has come and i really don't want any bad situations.

i think this lady is absolutely clueless. i don't think that telling her about the leash laws will do to much :( if it gets much worse i will have to mention it to her in passing, something like "don't you worry about him being off leash on the side of a busy road?" but i am not even sure that will get through!

no, unfortunately there is no other way to get to the lake. my road goes straight down to the lake and there are no other side roads that intersect and go that way. i could go up my street instead but there is nothing pretty up that way and no public space for iorek to do his "business" on. although i always pick up his poopies i don't like for him to go on anyone's law, i don't even let him walk on someone else's property.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
If you didn't live on the other side of the continent from me, I'd think we know the same lady...the one I know happens to be my next door neighbor and she's very...eccentric...she has a senior dog that she never ever walks on leash, just holding the leash in her hand. All in all he's pretty well behaved, but I asked her why she didn't use the leash once and she said because he likes to check out peoples front porches...what a weird answer...as far as the lady you are dealing with, I'd probably just say you don't want your dog off leash near the road, or when she invites him to play say that your dog doesn't like other dogs, even if it's not true.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts