Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Jubel out to the shelter today to meet some potential long term fosters. The two I had in mind previously were ruled out because one got an application for adoption (should be going home next week I think) and the other I'm told is potentially very destructive during storms. If someone is home she'd seek comfort with you and should be okay but if no one was home she'd be very destructive. Crates wouldn't help as she always manages to escape, has escaped her kennel and gotten into another dogs kennel during a storm already. Even with my brother working nights and only have short periods of time with no one home we just aren't prepared to deal with eminent destruction she'd likely bring.

So we went out today open to see just about any dog they felt would be a good match with Jubel in need of a foster home. Of the dogs suggested I decided to meet Dugal who has been at the shelter for about 2 years now. He has two bites on his record both at the shelter. He's fearful for people reaching over his head and it's hard to leash him until you earn his trust. In both the instances that he bit it was out of fear and people pushing him passed his thresholds. The last bite was about a year ago and he's doing much better now but still nervous about reaching over his head.

We spent about 1.5 hours with him today with Jubel and everyone was fine. Dugal is still a bit unsure of my brother and I but was starting to warm up to us some. He's very food motivated so he should warm up pretty quickly with some work on training and lots of treats.

The big question right now is how he's react when Jubel tries to wrestle with him. Today they both just peacefully co-existed together in the play yard, even did well taking treats next to each other. But eventually Jubel WILL try and play with Dugal if we foster him and really it seems Dugal doesn't even know how to play. That's my biggest fear that he'll react badly to Jubel trying to play. We'll be back to see him again in two weeks and probably bring him home with us. It would be next weekend but the foster coordinator needed to squeeze one last short term foster out of me first haha. I'll be watching a different fearful dog from the 15th-19th which pushes bring my own foster home back a week.

The other issue with Dugal is his name... sounds to close to Jubel so it's going to have to change haha. Trying to decide if I want to try and keep it with something similar yet distinct from Jubel or just come up with a completely new name for him.

More Dugal pictures!

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
Wow, 2 years at a shelter is a very long time for any dog. I imagine he will likely have a lot of adjusting to do.

But eventually Jubel WILL try and play with Dugal if we foster him and really it seems Dugal doesn't even know how to play. That's my biggest fear that he'll react badly to Jubel trying to play.
Here's a suggestion. Initially, do not allow them to play. Let Dugal adjust to a household first. Put comfortable harnesses on both dogs with a traffic lead (the small loop handle only) attached (instant handhold but not as likely to trip someone or catch on something as a leash). Whenever both dogs are loose in the same room, they should have on the harnesses and hand loops. You don't want to have to reach for a collar if the dogs get into it and that gives an alternative to the wheelbarrow method.

Leaving Dugal harnessed all the time (take of the hand loop when he's alone) will let you have a safer way to leash him until he gets used to that and you won't have to reach near or over his head to do so.

Also, I think its great you're willing to take on a tough case like this, but a word of caution-- you need to figure out what the liability is with this dog. Will your renters/homeowners insurance even cover a dog bite on a dog with a bite record? Will they drop you if they do have to pay out? (obviously you can't ask them this straight up, but some googling will likely give you their track record) Does the shelter cover the dog on its liability policy? I hate to say it, but although I am willing to deal with fear biters, I will not take one as a foster and will not be responsible for one. One of my friends dogs has bitten as redirected aggression. I don't have any problems with the dog and don't fear her in any way as her issues are very manageable. But I wouldn't want her as mine or under my care either.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Cute dog, and definitely in need of a long-term foster home to get out of the shelter. Just don't know how any dog can spend so much time in a shelter without someone giving them a home, but good on you and good luck!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Cute dog, and definitely in need of a long-term foster home to get out of the shelter. Just don't know how any dog can spend so much time in a shelter without someone giving them a home, but good on you and good luck!
Well he's not even in the top 10 of long time residents. The 10 who have been there the longest live in the village with much larger indoor/outdoor runs. The front half is concrete, a house with doggie doors, a window, couch, and AC/heat in the middle, and the back half has a very nice astro turf like cover. I don't think any of those 10 are good to live with other dogs so weren't even an option for me to foster. But that was definitely a factor in me picking out a dog to foster, who has been there the longest who also fits with Jubel, my brother, and I.

@Shell A harness with a traffic lead sounds like a great idea for safe control while Dugal settles in. Hopefully he's still good on his house training and not destructive when left alone. Didn't even get around to talking about that yesterday if they knew how he'd do back in a home, though it has been a while for him. Definitely will talk to them again to see what they think. I'd prefer to leave one dog upstairs and the other in the basement than need to crate Dugal but we'll just have to see how that goes.

As to my homeowners insurance I don't even know what it covers now for Jubel in reality. While we were in the process of closing on our townhouse I called and set up our homeowners insurance and simply told them I would 100% be getting a dog very shortly after moving in. Haven't gone into any more detail over it than that so I really don't even know what my coverage is. They did ask about breeds and I simply told them I'd likely end up with a mutt from rescue not concerned about breed just size and personality. So yeah... not sure where my homeowners insurance stands on this, it's with Travelers.

I'm not too worried about him biting as we plan on going very slow with him and not force things on him. As well as NOT letting people just come up and pet him which really isn't a big issue in our neighborhood in the first place. I'll very likely be avoiding walking through the court across the street from my house that is the direct path to the park we walk in and going around the back to avoid the people and dogs until Dugal has settled in, however long that takes. Lots of dogs live in that court and the small ones are frequently off leash and will run up to other dogs, 2 of them bark at Jubel just about every time (after 2 years now). They aren't really aggressive just rude but I'd definitely be better off just avoiding them for as long as it takes for Dugal to feel safe with me.

@Tofu Haha kinda like the easy transition from Dugal to Doug but two of the guys living in the court across from me are named Doug, bit awkward to name the dog the same. I've got time to figure something out.

Edit: I'm thinking Duncan for his new name maybe...

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Oh hey, I know Christy who volunteers there and have seen lots of pics of Dugal. It's awesome that you're getting to foster him!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Aww, he is a cutie.

I fostered a Golden mix recently who was used to little dogs. My dogs are over 60 lbs and VERY energetic. It took him about a week to really settle in with them and play time, but by the time he left me he was holding his own. I know all dogs are different though, I hope it all works out.

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
As to my homeowners insurance I don't even know what it covers now for Jubel in reality. While we were in the process of closing on our townhouse I called and set up our homeowners insurance and simply told them I would 100% be getting a dog very shortly after moving in. Haven't gone into any more detail over it than that so I really don't even know what my coverage is. They did ask about breeds and I simply told them I'd likely end up with a mutt from rescue not concerned about breed just size and personality. So yeah... not sure where my homeowners insurance stands on this, it's with Travelers.
I can't speak specifically for Travelers Ins in your state, but I have heard that they have a banned breeds list and that they have been known to drop policies if you have a dog with a bite history.

I'm not too worried about him biting as we plan on going very slow with him and not force things on him.
I agree that is sounds like with proper management he isn't a real bite risk; I'm just mentioning it because if there is a liability claim for ANY reason related to a dog (like, the dog trips some old lady who breaks an arm and sues you), there is a real chance they will drop your policy and refuse to pay out because you have an un-insurable (to them) dog. The same with breed restrictions- if you read the fine print and it says there are breed restrictions and that company decides your dog fits the vague look of one of those breeds, he's not covered.
I'm not an insurance agent and a lot of this is state specific, but its an issue that dog owners- particularly of any large dog, blacklisted breed mix, or one with a bite history- should always look into.
AFAIK, State Farm doesn't have any breed restrictions (except in Ohio) but does ask about bite history and require additional premiums or exclusions.

Other stuff though-
for when you first let them play together, I suggest making sure there are two people there (one per dog) in case they get into a scuffle.

if he is very food motivated, that is great for training but you should probably watch out for resource guarding and just take the precaution of feeding separate and giving chews/treats separate.

if he's crate trained, I'd start him in a crate and then allow freedom slowly if he doesn't seem destructive. Big transition for him, a couple days to settle in couldn't hurt.

He's a pretty dog, I hope he does well outside of the shelter situation and gets more adoptable.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't speak specifically for Travelers Ins in your state, but I have heard that they have a banned breeds list and that they have been known to drop policies if you have a dog with a bite history.

Yeah my insurance is actually through GEICO but they contract out through Travelers for homeowners insurance so not sure exactly how that works for being able to drop me. I know my parents had Travelers as their car insurance until I wrecked a car when I was 17, they dropped us.

I agree that is sounds like with proper management he isn't a real bite risk; I'm just mentioning it because if there is a liability claim for ANY reason related to a dog (like, the dog trips some old lady who breaks an arm and sues you), there is a real chance they will drop your policy and refuse to pay out because you have an un-insurable (to them) dog. The same with breed restrictions- if you read the fine print and it says there are breed restrictions and that company decides your dog fits the vague look of one of those breeds, he's not covered.
I'm not an insurance agent and a lot of this is state specific, but its an issue that dog owners- particularly of any large dog, blacklisted breed mix, or one with a bite history- should always look into.
AFAIK, State Farm doesn't have any breed restrictions (except in Ohio) but does ask about bite history and require additional premiums or exclusions.

Other stuff though-
for when you first let them play together, I suggest making sure there are two people there (one per dog) in case they get into a scuffle.

We'll see if it's any different when we go out next weekend to spend a little more time with him and very likely bring him home but there was nothing even close to play between them this weekend. They checked each other out a bit with sniffing and took treats next to each other with no issue. Wasn't really intended to try treating next to each other so soon but anytime anyone said Dugal or Jubel they both came right over knowing there were treats to be had. They both seemed very comfortable taking turns getting treats but I do intend to start off slowly and separated when we bring him home for anything food related. Dugal really doesn't seem to know how to play at this point so there is only likely to be the attempt at play if Jubel initiates and they won't be let alone together for a good while if ever.

if he is very food motivated, that is great for training but you should probably watch out for resource guarding and just take the precaution of feeding separate and giving chews/treats separate.

Definitely always plan to have any two dogs in the house eat separately, we'll take it slow on the treating but I think they'll be okay with that.

if he's crate trained, I'd start him in a crate and then allow freedom slowly if he doesn't seem destructive. Big transition for him, a couple days to settle in couldn't hurt.

I sent an email asking if any info was known about how he'd be in a house. If he is/was house trained, if he's known to be destructive, etc and that I'll need to borrow a crate for him until we figure that all out. She's looking into it if anybody has an idea about him. He's around 4 years old so even if he isn't house trained or really rusty it shouldn't be too hard to teach him.

He's a pretty dog, I hope he does well outside of the shelter situation and gets more adoptable.
I'm going to stop by the pet store tonight and see if I can find any of the traffic leads but a quick internet search earlier today makes it look like I'm going to need to order one online. They look pretty cheap so no big deal. Also need to get him a harness but I'm probably going to wait until I have him to get some measurements. Until then Jubel's old harness should fit well enough temporarily.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwe ... Dugal ( or whatever you name him ) is a very good looking dog. I wish you luck with him and hope he gets a good forever home eventually. :) I also hope to see pics as he progresses!

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awwwe ... Dugal ( or whatever you name him ) is a very good looking dog. I wish you luck with him and hope he gets a good forever home eventually. :) I also hope to see pics as he progresses!
Unless some great inspiration hits me in the next 2 weeks Dugal is going to become Duncan and of course there will be lots of pictures. Haha I can't stop from putting up lots of pictures with the short term fosters that only stay about a week. Likely to have Duncan for a good long while so there will be lots of pictures and progress reports.

Stopped by the pet store last night and again was disappointed by the selection at Petco, usually go to PetSmart but the Petco is closer and right next to the grocery store where I REALLY needed to go. So I went on amazon when I got home and ordered a traffic lead and a slow feed food bowl. Both were cheap but from different "stores" so I ended up paying just as much in shipping and handling as I paid for the items. *shrug* At least I'm getting exactly what I wanted and they'll get here before Duncan does.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts