Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My family and I are looking to possibly purchase a Cane Corso and I was wondering if anyone with some first hand experience could chime in regarding our particular living situation.

I live with my aunt and uncle on a 7 acre horse ranch where we board and train horses. We have many animals including a couple Chihuahua's and a collie mix. Additionally we have chickens and a couple cats. My aunt goes jogging several times a week and would like a larger dominant dog to take with her as a companion and for protection. From our research it seems as if a cc would be great given the proper training and from what I gather they can be fine with other dogs. My concern's are with the other animals like the chickens and maybe the chihuahua's a little as well since they are moody little things. We have what seems to be a very reputable breeder not real far from us that we may contact shortly. His name is Anthony F aga at canecorsovero dot com. The dog would get plenty of people time as well as instant exposure to outsiders. Will the sex of the dog play a drastic roll in the temperament in this environment?

So really I guess Im not asking much other then is there something we may be over looking and maybe someone with first hand experience with these dogs to share their opinions, and if anyone has any experience with this breeder that information would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I live with my aunt and uncle on a 7 acre horse ranch where we board and train horses. We have many animals including a couple Chihuahua's and a collie mix. Additionally we have chickens and a couple cats.
Sounds like a nice place for dogs and other animals. Similar to my place....lol

My aunt goes jogging several times a week and would like a larger dominant dog to take with her as a companion and for protection.
A dominant actually wouldn't be my recommendation. I'm not saying it will be a bad idea but it would probably be best to pick a dog with an in between temperament for protection. A dominant one can be more of a challenge to train and handle. So that'd be my suggestion. Don't pick the one who is starting trouble, but still pick a confident one.

From our research it seems as if a cc would be great given the proper training and from what I gather they can be fine with other dogs.
You will have to take care in finding a reputable trainer. As for other dogs, yes they can be great with other dogs. They were bred to work together guarding, hunting, droving.

My concern's are with the other animals like the chickens and maybe the chihuahua's a little as well since they are moody little things.
Chickens could be a problem. Will you have fencing that separates your CC from the chickens? CCs can have at least a medium prey drive (maybe more or less depending on the dog and breeding) which leads to them chasing small animals and maybe killing them. On the other hand they could be fine around them but its better to be safe then sorry, JIC they get the idea to chase them. I wouldn't worry about Chis being moody, I can't see a balanced CC taking offense.

We have what seems to be a very reputable breeder not real far from us that we may contact shortly. His name is Anthony F aga at canecorsovero dot com. The dog would get plenty of people time as well as instant exposure to outsiders. Will the sex of the dog play a drastic roll in the temperament in this environment?

So really I guess Im not asking much other then is there something we may be over looking and maybe someone with first hand experience with these dogs to share their opinions, and if anyone has any experience with this breeder that information would be helpful as well.
What do you want in a breeder? Consider reputable? You might want to go to some shows in your area and check the cane corso better breeder bureau to see which breeders are reputable and those that have proven not to be. Also ask for references from previous buyers.

What I think of them

Large
Sometimes stubbornish
Goofy, silly, sometimes too much
Fairly energetic, loves a good run and play
Does well with agility, OB something fun
Loving and affectionate, can be a velcro dog
Needs consistency in training

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a nice place for dogs and other animals. Similar to my place....lol

A dominant actually wouldn't be my recommendation. I'm not saying it will be a bad idea but it would probably be best to pick a dog with an in between temperament for protection. A dominant one can be more of a challenge to train and handle. So that'd be my suggestion. Don't pick the one who is starting trouble, but still pick a confident one.

You will have to take care in finding a reputable trainer. As for other dogs, yes they can be great with other dogs. They were bred to work together guarding, hunting, droving.

Chickens could be a problem. Will you have fencing that separates your CC from the chickens? CCs can have at least a medium prey drive (maybe more or less depending on the dog and breeding) which leads to them chasing small animals and maybe killing them. On the other hand they could be fine around them but its better to be safe then sorry, JIC they get the idea to chase them. I wouldn't worry about Chis being moody, I can't see a balanced CC taking offense.

We have what seems to be a very reputable breeder not real far from us that we may contact shortly. His name is Anthony F aga at canecorsovero dot com. The dog would get plenty of people time as well as instant exposure to outsiders. Will the sex of the dog play a drastic roll in the temperament in this environment?

What do you want in a breeder? Consider reputable? You might want to go to some shows in your area and check the cane corso better breeder bureau to see which breeders are reputable and those that have proven not to be. Also ask for references from previous buyers.

What I think of them

Large
Sometimes stubbornish
Goofy, silly, sometimes too much
Fairly energetic, loves a good run and play
Does well with agility, OB something fun
Loving and affectionate, can be a velcro dog
Needs consistency in training
Thank you for taking the time to reply. I think I used the wrong wording when I said dominant. In general we are looking for a larger dog that has a protective presence and look, for lack of better words. Not to say that we wish to have a intimidating or viscous looking dog, thats not the case at all. Just a dog that makes people think twice thats all. My aunt has owned Pit bulls and rottweilers before and they were great dogs given that they had the proper amount of attention and training, and I see some of the characteristics of those crossing over a bit, but obviously all dogs will be different. The chickens are not fenced in during the day, which yes I could see that becoming an issue with a cc if not immediately addressed. As for the breeder, hopefully we will be headed to his house shortly to get a first hand look at his ranch and to start our homework on him. As of yet we have not been able to find a single bad thing regarding him and many of praise which is a good start.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I did go to the breeder website. It would be easier if you would type in the web addy correctly. http://www.canecorsovero.com/

It is hard to give opinions of breeder on a forum. I do not want to say a breeder looks great and then you get screwed. I do not want to say a breeder looks bad and have you say I'm bashing.

To me the breeder is ok, but not the best or what I'd personally look for. Meaning I'd buy somewhere else. If I am going to give $1000-2000 for a pup I want to make sure I'm getting a quality pup.

The females are at least the max size for males or larger. The males are very large too. Most important in a working breed might nto be exact conformation measurements, however balanced and proportion is. If people continue to breed overly large dogs without function the dogs suffer. You end up with problems within the breed, usually health problems.

I don't see any conformation titles nor working titles nor test for working temperament and drive. I do see one or two dogs had CGC or temperament test. I also see that a couple of them don't have good hip scores, it is great that they health test but what is the point of health testing without using those test to your advantage. I realize just because a dog is on a breeders site doesn't mean they have bred or would breed that dog. I saw a very oversized female 130lbs and not good hip score. When I looked at their breedings page they bred that female, had pups June of last year. I realize great hip scores are not that super common in the breed to a degree, but I'd rather see people selecting for better. They are already ranked not to good for hips so breeders should try to improve upon this. I don't want to see them get worse and make good hips scarce. They do have stock with better scores, some with great scores, especially for this breed so why not breed them and not breed dogs with bad scores=bad hips? This particular female would probably be considered mild or moderate for hip dysplasia. Same with a few of their other dogs. There is another CC member on this forum who's dog has hip dysplasia, ACL injury and arthritis.

I believe he is only 5yrs old or so. It is very real for people to end up with a CC that has these problems. Hip replacement surgery is a lot of money. Putting your dog down at 6yrs old because of crippling HD is heartbreaking to most. Other times it can be dealt with, without surgery, prolonging a quality of life until the dog is older, ect.

Make sure you get a good health guarantee. Make sure to check references. Make sure to find out more about the bloodlines they are breeding and dogs within the pedigrees. Look for conformation or working tiles or see that the dog has been tested for work/does work. See that dogs with good health scores are being bred. These are things you can do or look for in a breeder to help insure you are getting a quality pup.

I see what you mean about the look of the dog. Just one that will hopefully be a deterrent. Ultimately which breeder you go to is your choice. I only try to help and not force my opinion on others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your guidance is highly appreciated and for sure gives me some solid questions to look into.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Just for the record about conformation titles, Cane Corsos aren't eligible for conformation competition in AKC, being only a Foundation Stock Service breed: http://www.akc.org/breeds/fss_breeds.cfm.

They are eligible for conformation competition in UKC, but they were not accepted to the UKC until July of 2008, so there are probably not too many Cane Corsos with champion degrees.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/CaneCorsoItaliano

I only see one new champion listed in this month's New Titles announcement:

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/DENewTitleHoldersConformation
CANE CORSO ITALIANO
CH COLOSSAL'S CLEOPATRA

and competition was not exactly rocking for last year's top ten (but still impressive for a new breed):

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/DETopTen2008

Cane Corso Italiano
01. CH Colossal's Greta (9)
02. UWP CH Colossal's Forza Del Fuoco (7)
03. CH Davincis Carlos (4)
04. CH Colossal's Cleopatra (3)
05. Capri Geobari Jimmy Stanchio (2)
06. Red Rock Canyon's Spartacus (1)
06. Trueheart's Reflection Of Luigi (1)
06. Valle Dei Lord Velvet (1)
06. Dove Springs Fray (1)

(redacted to remove owner's names)

There might be some IABCA Cane Corso champions and since they are accepted by the Canadian KC there must be some CKC champions, but unless you're in Canada or in the few areas that have IABCA shows, it's hard to get those titles on your dogs.

Anyway, I agree with almost everything that people are saying, but using conformation titles as a mark of "responsibility" for this breed may or may not be realistic, depending on where the breeder lives.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Just for the record about conformation titles, Cane Corsos aren't eligible for conformation competition in AKC, being only a Foundation Stock Service breed: http://www.akc.org/breeds/fss_breeds.cfm.
Yes I realize that. I know some who are FSS including my females sire. I never meant to imply they were an AKC breed nor do I long for them to be such.

They are eligible for conformation competition in UKC, but they were not accepted to the UKC until July of 2008, so there are probably not too many Cane Corsos with champion degrees.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/CaneCorsoItaliano

I only see one new champion listed in this month's New Titles announcement:

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/DENewTitleHoldersConformation
CANE CORSO ITALIANO
CH COLOSSAL'S CLEOPATRA

and competition was not exactly rocking for last year's top ten (but still impressive for a new breed):

http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/WebPages/DETopTen2008

Cane Corso Italiano
01. CH Colossal's Greta (9)
02. UWP CH Colossal's Forza Del Fuoco (7)
03. CH Davincis Carlos (4)
04. CH Colossal's Cleopatra (3)
05. Capri Geobari Jimmy Stanchio (2)
06. Red Rock Canyon's Spartacus (1)
06. Trueheart's Reflection Of Luigi (1)
06. Valle Dei Lord Velvet (1)
06. Dove Springs Fray (1)

(redacted to remove owner's names)

There might be some IABCA Cane Corso champions and since they are accepted by the Canadian KC there must be some CKC champions, but unless you're in Canada or in the few areas that have IABCA shows, it's hard to get those titles on your dogs.
I plan to compete UKC myself ASAP. Other breeders are also getting into UKC, some fall of last year were already competing.

I do not care for the style of most of Colossals dogs, not the heavy build or loose skin of some, but you know what I consider them good breeders. They have show, working titles/test. They have health and temperament test. I've like the colossal dogs I know temperament wise, very good nerves, balanced temperament. What I think we need to see more of.

Regardless there are breeders who have CH and show in IABCA, ARBA, Molosser Show, Rarities, ect before the UKC acceptance. Many breeders of AKC or UKC registered dogs must travel to show dogs. So I fail to see how not having IABCA directly in your area is a good reason. Average travel time for myself is 10hrs to show my dogs. IABCA actually has shows across the country but of course not in all areas. There are other places to show CC and now with UKC acceptance more breeders can go that route as well.

There are also dogs getting CAL test, GDT test, competing in Iron Dog, Schutzhund competing/training, IWPA titled, protection training, ect, ect. These dogs don't have any of that. Only a CGC on one female.

Anyway, I agree with almost everything that people are saying, but using conformation titles as a mark of "responsibility" for this breed may or may not be realistic, depending on where the breeder lives.
I do not believe that a breeder has to show to be responsible, no way. I don't care which breed it is, if its a working breed, then I can consider the breeder great without the dogs ever setting foot in the show ring, if they are doing other stuff right. I said it is one thing to look for and one of the things I didn't see in combination with other things they are lacking.

I'd also question what this breeder or others like them are even breeding for. Not conformation, at least not titles to back that up. Not working dogs (that I can see) because there isn't any working titles, mention training for work, certified/tested for work, nor that they actually do some sort of job like hog catch or cattle work. Not temperament, or maybe so, the problem is anyone can say they are breeding for temperament. I always hear we are breeding for good pets, temperament and health. Health in this case, I can't see that they are breeding for better health because of the dogs they chose to breed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts