Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Pekingese who passed away earlier this year. I had her for 14 wonderful years and was devastated when she passed. A few months have passed and I volunteered to take care of my friend's Shih Tzu while she is away in Paris.

After my Peke died, I thought I was done with dogs. Did not want to go through that pain again. But now that I've had my friend's Shih Tzu for a week I think I'm ready for a dog again.

There's just one problem, I'm not home during the day due to work. I live alone so no one can help me. I know it's not a good idea to leave a puppy home for that long of a period of time but that was how my Pekingese was raised. My parent's were not home due to work, and I was in school from 8AM - 2:30PM. My Peke turned out great. Of course there were accidents early on, but she pretty much was house trained after 4 or 5 months. I can spend 30 minutes in the morning and an hour at night walking the dog. If I have to get up in the middle of the night early on, so be it.

Did I just luck out with my Peke? I probably should just adopt a dog that is already trained but I love the idea of having a puppy again.

Anyone think I shouldn't get a Shih Tzu puppy? Or what are my options if I really want to have a dog? I know I rambled and I apologize!

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I had a Pekingese who passed away earlier this year. I had her for 14 wonderful years and was devastated when she passed. A few months have passed and I volunteered to take care of my friend's Shih Tzu while she is away in Paris.

After my Peke died, I thought I was done with dogs. Did not want to go through that pain again. But now that I've had my friend's Shih Tzu for a week I think I'm ready for a dog again.

There's just one problem, I'm not home during the day due to work. I live alone so no one can help me. I know it's not a good idea to leave a puppy home for that long of a period of time but that was how my Pekingese was raised. My parent's were not home due to work, and I was in school from 8AM - 2:30PM. My Peke turned out great. Of course there were accidents early on, but she pretty much was house trained after 4 or 5 months. I can spend 30 minutes in the morning and an hour at night walking the dog. If I have to get up in the middle of the night early on, so be it.

Did I just luck out with my Peke? I probably should just adopt a dog that is already trained but I love the idea of having a puppy again.

Anyone think I shouldn't get a Shih Tzu puppy? Or what are my options if I really want to have a dog? I know I rambled and I apologize!
Contact (reputable!) breeders and ask to be put on a waiting list /tell them you would like an older pup or adult. Between dogs being returned and show/breeding dogs retired, they do happen. They're usually less expensive (cost of a rescue) but have the health benefits of a reputable breeder, and often are already housebroken, leash and crate trained, and have basic house manners. I got my Jack this way. There was not a thing I needed to do to train him to be a polite dog. Oh, he's not super well obedience trained, but on a leash and in the house he is a dream. And is just fine being left alone, unlike a puppy who **Could** be all right, but wouldn't be the best fit.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I believe that this rescue would be perfect for you.

http://www.shihtzuandfurbabyrescue.com/

If you look at the site you'll see not only Shitzu's, but a host of other small dogs. Some are owner and breeder turn-ins. Some are mill babies. The rescue is amazing. They foster the dogs for long enough to get a really good idea of what kind of person it needs to live with, and they leash train and house train/peepad train the dogs.

Its where I got Pepper. Not all the dogs are on the site. Fill out an app and someone will contact you. If you want to send me a private message, I'd be happy to tell you more about my experience with them.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Puppies are just the long way around to getting the dog you want. Really, in your situation, an already house trained dog would be best. You can have your pick from rescues and shelters. Everyone wants a puppy, so wonderful adult dogs wait and die.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'll second what everyone else said, and point out that 8:00-2:30 (the amount of time your previous Peke was left alone) is only 6 1/2 hours, and it's likely that as an adult working full time you're away from the house for around 9 hours. That's a big difference for a dog.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I agree to get an older puppy or adult. Unless you can come home at lunch or hire a dog walker, requiring a young puppy to be alone for so long is courting disaster. There are lots of rescues out there that should be able to help you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I agree on getting an adult dog. Shih Tzu's are crazy fun puppies, but require a lot of work, just like any other pup. Pretty much exactly what georgiapeach said^^

I own 2 Shih Tzus...they're the complete opposites of each other, but Bailey is from a better breeder than Bella, so he's more like what you're going to get if you get one from a reputable breeder. Grooming wise...they need to be brushed out a few times a week, and need to go to a professional groomer every 6-8 weeks. Training wise, they're EXETREMELY smart dogs. They can learn a lot, but you have to make a fun for them, some Shih Tzus want to please you, but a lot don't. But like I said, they're smart. If you keep it fun and motivate them, they can pick up tricks and commands really fast. House pet wise...they're great! Both of mine tend to be very chill in the house, but the second you say "walk" they're at the back door, tails wagging, excited to go for a walk! And as long as you socialize them, they are VERY people friendly. Both of mine love everyone, and assume that people are automatically at my house to see them :p

Yup, overall, great dogs! <3

~IJMB

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out the local Craigslist in your area. That's how I ended up with my Bella, who I adopted at a year old. She still has PLENTY of puppy in her, believe me!! I've had her since last November & you wouldn't know I hadn't raised her from puppyhood. She is a DREAM!!

I got her housebroken, spayed, shots, crate-/leash-trained, and with ALL her 'stuff' -- 2 beds, brushes/combs/shampoo, crate, a huge bag of toys, food, bowls, etc. All for $150 'rehoming' fee from her previous owner that couldn't keep her for family reasons.

And since I've owned Shih Tzu's since 1974, I've found they retain puppy like behaviors WELL into the older years. I also have a 6-year-old that plays like a puppy too!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts