Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just come across the site and found a whole load of great threads, thought I'd post my own. Now, my family has had several different breeds of dog throughout my growing up. I feel it's time I got my own dog and out of my four favourite breeds I'm very keen on a GSD.

I've done a lot of research into the breed and know what I'm happy with and what I'm looking for... BUT, I don't know whether to go for a male or female.

I have a friend who has four greyhounds, 1 male and 3 females. He says that without doubt I should go for a female.

However, from reading some threads on here it seems like I'd be happier with the stereotypical male as I do want a dog that is a bundle of fun, playful with lots of endurance.

My friend just seems to convince me, everytime I speak to him, that a female is easier, pays more attention to a male owner and is easier to train.

As my first dog in my own place away from family would you recommend a male or female or would you go down the route of "a dog is what you make of it, irrespective of gender"?

I'll be reading as much "male vs female" discussions on here as I can but thought I'd throw my situation out there.

Thanks,
Cammy

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
It is all a matter of personal preference and interpretation.

I keep bitches because I have to (breeding). I love my girls, but I do not bond with them like I do my boys. My boys are very much "I'll do anything for youuuuuuuuuu! Anything you ask me toooooooo!" and my girls are kinda "You want me to do what now? Mmmm....nahhh. Try again in 10 minutes."

I feel like everything I do with bitches is a fight, and we're always in a power struggle. I do not like that, and I just want a peaceful relationship with as little conflict as possible.

That said, that is simply my perspective. It is all a matter of personal preference, so, in the long run, it doesn't matter WHAT gender you get, as long as you're happy with your choice.

Were you going to go the breeder route, or rescue route? Which lines? Puppy, or adult?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

Looking for a puppy from a breeder. I would consider a rescue but there seem to be very few GSDs for rescue. Also, I feel I would like to have my own pup and train it from day one. I'm looking for a "traditional" GSD from good working lines and that reduces the likelihood of getting one from rescue.

From your post it sounds like I'd prefer the male as I do want a strong bond with my dog (hence the desire to start as a puppy) although my friend mentioned that females respond to male owners and males to female owners - which got me thinking, as I had always considered the male to be the one of choice.

Looking forward to more replies :)

Cammy

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Looking for a puppy from a breeder. I would consider a rescue but there seem to be very few GSDs for rescue. Also, I feel I would like to have my own pup and train it from day one. I'm looking for a "traditional" GSD from good working lines and that reduces the likelihood of getting one from rescue.

From your post it sounds like I'd prefer the male as I do want a strong bond with my dog (hence the desire to start as a puppy) although my friend mentioned that females respond to male owners and males to female owners - which got me thinking, as I had always considered the male to be the one of choice.

Looking forward to more replies :)

Cammy
What is your general location? There are many, many GSD specific rescues that I am aware of throughout the country.

Not that I'm trying to dissuade you from going to a reputable breeder, but "there seem to be very few GSDs for rescue" just ain't accurate...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a male GSD, Cody. I love him soooo much. He is about 6 years old now and has been very easy to train and is my "velcro" dog. My suggestion would be to go to the web forum: www.germanshepherds.com and ask your questions there. You will get a lot of advice but a male GSD is easier to train and more "biddable." From everything I have read/seen a female is more aloof. Of course, there are always exceptions to the rule. There are tons of rescues and many of them have young dogs but puppies are harder to come by. Goodluck!

Carole

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
From your post it sounds like I'd prefer the male as I do want a strong bond with my dog
You can be strongly bonded with a female. I just personally do not bond very closely with bitches. My deep loves have always been the males. That is only my experience and preference, and I certainly couldn't guarantee you would bond better with a boy,

BTW, it is definitely not true that there aren't GSDs in rescues. Unfortunately, there are quite a few looking for homes.

Rescue is a good way to go if you're looking for "just a pet".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all :)

I'm in Scotland, UK. I have internet searched for GSD rescues but I'm not finding many I''m keen on. I'm definitely looking for a GSD along the lines of traditional working police dog compared to current standard show dog so I am looking at specific breeders with those lines.

I feel that a puppy would suit me better so I could start fresh and take part in all the training but if my perfect GSD was available from a rescue then I would certainly be interested but I would probably only consider one that is 6-12 months old, perhaps 18 months at a push.

Thanks again,
Cammy

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Two things to consider that might improve your relationship:
1. GSDs (and all dogs) are friendlier and more predictable when they are socialized a lot with people and dogs, as puppies.
2. Consider whether you plan to neuter. Usually a good idea for a pet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts