Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I live in Las vegas NV and own a Shiba inu 15 week old puppy. My GF and I live in an apartment and were thinking of getting a BC or BC mix puppy. Now I know what everyone says about BC and needing a lot of space to run, I have seen some BC in apartments that have good owner and take their dogs out all the time, and are very happy and healthy dogs. My GF is going for her masters in Animal Behavior, we are both heavy into the Clicker Training and her read many dog training books like "dont shoot the dog" by karen pryor. Our Shiba Inu was a handful for the first couple of weeks when trainer her to ring the bells tied to stings at the front door to let her out to go to the bathroom and not to dig or chew up anything in the house except her toys. She is coming along great! unlike most of the Shiba owner we have talked with, only problem is her recall, but she is getting there. We already do daily training sessions and walk her for hours and bring her to the dog park and to play with my sisters 8 month old choco lab. But like most Shibas they are hard to train for a long period of time and do not get overly excited about treats like say a Lab or Collie. We really want a dog we can train for agility and play Frisbee. We both love Border Collies because of their smarts and energy.

My gf goes to school full time and I work around 30 hour weeks, we have made our schedules around are dog so when she goes to school at 7am mon-friday, weekends we are free to play with the dog. I leave for work around 11am and she gets back around 4pm, if we have any longs days like both gone for 7 hours we have my sister pick our dog up and bring them over to her house and play with her choco lab.

We are not looking to replace our shiba but to get a playmate for her that is more higher energy then she is, and will tire her out and still have the energy to play frisbee for 2 or 3 hours.

I believe we will be able to fit the BCs needs and will be good owners, Our Shiba is already the main focus in our life and we did a very good job at Socializing her with adults, children, babies, and other dogs. She does not bite, or does she mouth too hard, and has only ran or defended against other aggressive dogs, never bit or growled, unless playfully and not out of aggression.

I would like peoples suggestion and opinions before I actually get another puppy. We are looking for a dog that is smart, likes to train, and loves fetching frisbees.

If you dont agree with a BC mix then please suggest other breeds, we also like mini poodles, huskies, samoyeds, and Akitas(too big for an apartment). But I would like to hear some opinions or problems that we may not have considered.

Thank you,
Wes

·
Registered
521 Posts
I don't see any reason that you could not have a BC. They are absolutely wonderful dogs and unlike what you may hear, a properly trained and well excercised BC does have an off switch. Because your GF does clicker training she can probably attest to the fact that when an animal is learning a new behavior with the clicker the usually really enjoy it and it tires them out almost as much as physical excercise. We have a rescue BC that we got when she was 1.5 years old. She excels at flyball, agility and disc dogs(frisbee). I'd say go for it. As far as living in an apartment, we live in a 980 sq ft house and we don't excercise our dogs in the house, so what difference?

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i have 5 BC's, and i can tell you, if you are committed to their needs (the amount of physical and mental exercise being HIGH on the list) then, yes, a Border can work in an apt. ....i live in a fairly good size house but have no yard to really run them....needless to say, neither rain nor sleet nor dark of night (well, ok, the night but only b/c i'm usually working:D) and not even the heat if we have access to a pool and shade and take many breaks, can stop us from anywhere from 1-4 hrs of park time (generally average 2-3 hrs) and on top of that we do, ruffly, an hr of training and such....plus they have each other to ruff-house w/.....and, from about mid Aug to late Nov/early Dec, we have goosing, which keeps them pretty busy (that usually takes their park time).....

yes, w/ proper training and outlet they do have a very good "that'll do" switch....the one big thing w/ Borders that i have noticed is that they are very clannish.....they generally, w/ socialization, get on well w/ other breeds but they really like their own kind the best....

good luck....

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
A few concerns...your expectation that the BC will be a companion to the shiba. I have always had a multi-dog household. At times the dogs are companions, but more often, the dogs merely live in the same house together and do not share any common interests. Also be aware that you will be doubling your feeding, vet, toy, suppy expenses. And you will also double the trouble in some cases.

...I think the BC is do-able (I've had an aussie shepherd, same sort of BC mentality), but be aware that you always have to be 100 steps ahead mentally of the BC. They are very free and independent thinkers and problem solvers.

...I would wait until the shiba is through adolescence, maybe when the shiba is around 1 year of age. Getting another dog before the shiba is solidly trained can create a bunch of problems. If you get another dog now you will each need to take a dog separately for training. Rarely can you teach two dogs to loose leash walk or train when both dogs are together. There's something about pack mentality that makes both dogs lose their minds completely, no matter how well trained the dogs are separately. But if your shiba is well trained and past the stage of "testing" you during adolesence...better chance of success with the very needy BC brain.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess my concern would be that Shiba's aren't probably all that excited to be herded LOL. Seriously, though, I always suggest that people have their first dog completely trained before getting the second, and that they give some consideration to spacing the dogs by age by about three years, and adopt the second dog of a different gender than the resident dog, and a bit more subordinate type. That way, you minimize the chances that the pup will learn inappropriate behaviors from the first one, and you have a better chance of them NOT fighting when the pup matures.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
You might be best getting a dog that's over a year old, so you have an idea of how drivey it is. You can't really tell in an 8 wk old puppy. There ARE lower drive BC's out there.. still energetic, but not bouncing off the walls.

I agree with waiting until the Shiba is through adolescence as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I thought it would be good to introduce a new dog to her as a puppy. My shiba is a lot different from the norm. She will let anyone pick her up never has growled at anyone or barked for that matter. She is more excited to see dogs then people though, she played very very well a BC puppy and every BC she plays with at the dog park, She loves to be chased (We as the owners never chase her so her only outlet is dogs chasing her). She has played very well with all BC adult and puppies. My sisters choco lab 8 mo old puppy plays with her and we take care of her over at our house just like my sisters baby sits her on the days we work/school for more than 7 hours. We are still able to train both of the puppies and have them both listen to commands when they are playing together and do not get out of control. Can you guys please explain more about why we should wait vs introducting a new puppy while they are puppies, it just seems they will accept each other better as a puppies then one as an adult and seeing a puppy move into its terrority.

Also I just wanted to say, Thank you everyone for replying and helping me out.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well, first of all it's important that any new pup or dog bond to you more than to the other dog. Second, if you haven't yet experienced adolescence you could be in for a hugh surprise as your well-trained puppy suddenly seems to forget everything it knows and challenges you every step of the way. Will yours definitely do this? There's no way of knowing. Just like with us when we go through the teenage years some go through it with barely a whisper of problems and others are more difficult.

If you wait until your current dog is past that stage, at about 2-3 years of age, training the new pup will be much easier and the older dog will actually be a help in its training by setting a good example. Meantime, you could get acquainted with responsible BC breeders from both show and working lines. You might even find a good breed mentor to assist you in making the best choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I really suggest rescueing a dog. Do you have any idea how many purebred and mixed breed Border Collies are out there without homes? Thousands! A great rescue in your area is Adopt A Rescue Pet. I know for a FACT that they have Border Collie Mix pups available.

http://www.adoptarescuepet.org/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts