Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that I got your attention, you first need to know that I would never do such a horrible thing. There are others that are doing it everyday. Some people have never heard of a puppy mill while others have heard of them. Some people even though they buy a puppy from a pet store are told that the puppies come from a breeder which is a total lie. Some find out after the fact they bought a puppy from a store that the dog did in fact come from a puppy mill.

Well here is someone that is educating the public in the most graphic imagination possible. Perhaps you never seen a puppy mill but here you will get an idea of what they are.

This guy should be congratulated for doing a public service such as this.

http://www.puppymilltruck.com/

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
actually a lot of the puppy mills are very clean and are regulated well. the dogs are all kept UD on shots and vetted and groomed when needed.

but to me clean, vet, and groomed, is the bare minimum a kennel should be striving for

·
Banned
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually a lot of the puppy mills are very clean and are regulated well. the dogs are all kept UD on shots and vetted and groomed when needed.

but to me clean, vet, and groomed, is the bare minimum a kennel should be striving for

Well your in Wisconsin. Have you been to any of these places personally?. Are they living in wire cages, able to run in an enclosed area on grass, have any human interaction at all except for maybe being fed?. Are the mother dogs well cared for, are they bred just once a year or are they constantly pushing out puppies?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
I agree that puppy mills are absolutely unethical. But I disagree with what the definition of puppy mill (and your definition of 'quality kennel' is).

1. Mills, first and foremost, breed for profit and resale, either to brokers or (increasingly) to the general public.
2. Because of the volume required to MAKE that profit, mills have kennels- kennels are not inherently inhumane, though. But yes, they do use wire cages, and yes, they typically are NOT on grass. Even good kennels may not have much in the way of grass- it gets run down VERY quickly. And even BAD kennels MAY be really clean. (The important thing to me is that the dog is in an clean environment that will NOT make them difficult to housebreak later, and that they get a great deal of interaction with humans.)
3. There is quite a bit of evidence suggesting that ti's best to breed females back to back as long as they are not losing conditions, and spay them younger. (For example, after health testing is complete at two, breed your three litters, and spay her by age 4- lowest possible risk of pyometria and other complications from being intact.)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
no I have never been to the local puppy mills but there was one just recintly closed near me.

The man had 1000+ dogs, he was AKC inspected yearly (which infuriates me that the AKC allows such things) He kept roughly 4 dogs (all his dogs were under 30 pounds) per kennel. The kennels were dirt and grass with a door to go inside a building. The kennels were about 7 feet by 7 feet chain link open top. The dogs (by AKC registered kennel reqirments) were kept groomed and UTD on shots and vet care. clean food and water was always provided.

despite this "lovely" view of a puppy mill, it is still a PUPPY MILL! I wish that people didn't just think "OH puppy mills are dirty places so because this guy is clean and has vetted dogs he must not be a puppy mill" it drives me insane.

His dogs were not trained, he did no health testing, he didn't accept returnes on his dogs, he sold to pet shops, he didn't even know his own 1000+ dogs well enough to know if he was breeding two spooky dogs together or not, to produce spooky puppys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts