Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to adopt a 5 month old Chow Chow/APBT pup and had a few questions. It is a male and I am concerned that he will begin marking his territory inside the house. He is about 35 pounds and is not fixed. I recently had two chihuahua puppies (one male and one female) that I had to get rid of. During potty training there many accidents of course. Anyways, my question is: Should I be worried about this 5 month old male puppy coming in and wanting to mark wherever he catches a scent of where either of the other puppies has used the bathroom previously?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
The short answer is maybe. Did you clean the spots from the other dogs with an enzymatic cleaner? Or did you use a regular cleaner? Even a regular house hold cleaner that says it's for pet stains won't work properly unless it's an "enzymatic" cleaner.
Even if you clean with a regular house hold cleaner first, and then an enzymatic cleaner, you could still have issues, because sometimes a regular cleaner "sets" the stain, and then the enzymatic cleaner doesn't work.

If you are properly potty training the new puppy you shouldn't really have all that many accidents. A puppy that isn't potty trained shouldn't have free access to the home, and should always be in your sight, and, in fact, nearby to you, so that way you can see when accidents are about to happen and you can prevent them. Because, a new puppy won't just "mark" where they smell another dog's pee, they will often pick that as an appropriate potty spot. If you are watching the puppy closely enough, you can prevent that.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts