Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
ahhh I gotcha. I'm a huge pitbull lover so I know all the differences among the subreeds. Every American staffy I meet on the street looks like an easy 70-80 lbs to me
Well, your female should be 40-55lbs and 17-18 inches tall...... Much more or less than those, and it’s poor breeding or intentionally introducing another breed to alter the traits (so another form of poor breeding)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Isn't the OP in the UK? Didn't the UK round up and euthanize anything that so much as looked like a pit bull some years ago? Are they now legal there, and if so would anyone believe the government enough to get one and think it would be safe?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I should note - I think the online articles on american staffies are inaccurate. Almost every Amstaff I know is 60-90 lbs. They are not 40-50 lb dogs. That's either an APBT or a mixed American staffy.
Maybe you are seeing lots of poorly bred dogs, then? Or possibly dogs with hung papers?

From the AKC website's page on American Staffordshire Terriers:
  • Height: 18-19 inches (male), 17-18 inches (female)
  • Weight: 55-70 pounds (male), 40-55 pounds (female)
From the UKC American Pit Bull Terrier standard:

Desirable weight for a mature male in good condition is between 35 and 60 pounds. Desirable weight for a mature female in good condition is between 30 and 50 pounds.

As a general and approximate guideline only, the desirable height range for mature males is from 18 to 21 inches at the withers; for mature females it is from 17 to 20 inches at the withers.

It is important to note that dogs over or under these weight and height ranges are not to be penalized unless they are disproportionately massive or rangy.

Very Serious Fault: Excessively large or overly massive dogs and dogs with a height and/or weight so far from what is desired as to compromise health, structure, movement and physical ability.

And since the OP is in England, the point is moot, since APBT are one of the breeds banned under the (so-called) Dangerous Dog Act.

Reactions: SpotTheCat

·
Registered
625 Posts
Out of curiosity, I just looked to see which breeds are banned in Britain, and if the sites I found are accurate they are:
  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
That surprises me a bit because here in the states the jurisdictions that ban breeds usually have much longer lists. I know Rottweilers and Akitas were on the Aurora, Colorado, list at one time.

After just the fact of banning any breed, the biggest problem I see is that dogs are judged on appearance. For instance, in Denver, they confiscated and euthanized white Boxers as pits and often owners didn't have the resources to fight and get their dog back. Of course I'm sure there were people who claimed their pit was a Boxer or Boxer mix and some probably had no idea. It's not as if DNA testing was done. At some point I know they allowed people to reclaim even an actual pit bull if they moved out of Denver, which of course most people can't do at the drop of a hat. I'm sure there was a lot of maneuvering and faking new addresses over that. And dummies still kept getting the dogs and trying to hide them.

Some places are now either dropping the bans or allowing exemptions for individual dogs under certain circumstances. It's my impressions the officials who put these bans in place aren't giving them up; voter initiatives are forcing them to.

·
Super Moderator
2,513 Posts
The Staffordshire Terrier isn't banned in most EU countries, even ones that ban APBTs and American Staffordshire Terriers. Lovely little dogs, very compact, but probably doesn't have the size to be especially intimidating - although it's certainly true that many criminals will be deterred by any dog, regardless of size or breed.

MasterPuppets just has it reversed - it's the 70+lb monsters that are almost always mixed breeds, not the smaller ones - easy mistake to make. APBTs and AmStaffs are so similar that many APBT are dual registered as AmStaffs in the AKC - there's certainly not a significant size difference between the two, and frequently no difference in temperament either since, well, they're the same dog. But certainly someone who's very into bully breeds knows this.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Out of curiosity, I just looked to see which breeds are banned in Britain, and if the sites I found are accurate they are:
  • Pit Bull Terrier
  • Japanese Tosa
  • Dogo Argentino
  • Fila Brasileiro
That’s unfortunate, but also surprising as Presa’s aren’t on the list, or boerbols etc. Seems like these decisions are always made based on the opinions and personal beliefs and experiences of those in power to make them.

My Dogo is is pretty much shunned in my city. I can’t board him, etc, and he’s a perfect gentleman

·
Registered
1 Posts
I will be moving in to the country side at some point, when I do my mother and I would like to get a largeish dog with a protective personality, to be a sort of guard dog. I am looking for a breed that is
  • About Alsatian size
  • Good with cats, we have a special needs cat
  • Good with dogs
  • Intelligent (by that I don’t mean easily trainable
  • Happy to go out in cold rainy weather
  • Protective

Breeds I am looking in to.
  • Laekenois
  • Rhodesian ridgeback
  • Beaucerons
If any one has any experience with this breeds I would like to hear it
Thank you!
Can I ask a few questions? What kind of dogs have you had in the past? But I agree with some here that you need a dog as a deterrent, not as a loaded gun. Fila? Absolutely not. A large dog that will bark at strangers is all you need.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Can I ask a few questions? What kind of dogs have you had in the past? But I agree with some here that you need a dog as a deterrent, not as a loaded gun. Fila? Absolutely not. A large dog that will bark at strangers is all you need.
sure ask as many questions as you want. Me personally a sheltie when I was very young and now a dog from a rescue who apparently is a large Pomeranian. My mother has had large dogs not sure what breeds. Fila are definitely not what I am looking for not to mention they are banned in the UK where I am.

·
Registered
22 Posts
A Boxer fits the bill pretty much. All except maybe your requirements for the cold. When the mercury drops to near freezing or less, I don a jacket on my Boxer...🥊

·
Registered
620 Posts
Nothing better than a well-trained German Shepherd Dog (totally biased - I'm on my 5th). My current GSD is primarily DDR (DDR/WGWL). DDR GSDs can have a more balanced prey drive than some of the other working lines, as well as being big boned and intimidating looking. If you need something to bark at that strange noise ... he's your guy! LOL Lives with a 6 lb Persian that he adores and tolerated graciously my son's wild 8month old rescue mix when he came to visit. Would live out 24/7 as long as I stayed out there with him .. GSDs do not tolerate isolation well and need to be with their people. Loves cold weather and has a good coat for it ... let it dry and brush it off and he's good to go. Weighs at the top of the male breed standard (88 lbs).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Nothing better than a well-trained German Shepherd Dog (totally biased - I'm on my 5th). My current GSD is primarily DDR (DDR/WGWL). DDR GSDs can have a more balanced prey drive than some of the other working lines, as well as being big boned and intimidating looking. If you need something to bark at that strange noise ... he's your guy! LOL Lives with a 6 lb Persian that he adores and tolerated graciously my son's wild 8month old rescue mix when he came to visit. Would live out 24/7 as long as I stayed out there with him .. GSDs do not tolerate isolation well and need to be with their people. Loves cold weather and has a good coat for it ... let it dry and brush it off and he's good to go. Weighs at the top of the male breed standard (88 lbs).
Thank you!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would look at Cone-Corso or Alabai. Both breeds can be trained for protection, good with kids, cats. Corso easy to train, short coat, high temperament, Alabai more powerful, more protective, stubborn, more intimidating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
I would look at Cone-Corso or Alabai. Both breeds can be trained for protection, good with kids, cats. Corso easy to train, short coat, high temperament, Alabai more powerful, more protective, stubborn, more intimidating.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Labs have a reputation for being one of the worst watchdogs (possibly only second to Newfoundlands) because they basically love everyone. But I watched my gigantic black lab walking with my wife or my 9-year-old daughter and he would physically place himself between either of them and anyone who happened to approach from either direction. If he happened to bark, which was rare, your teeth would rattle and your ears would ring. He was alert and self-confident, which is what you want.

Unless a dog has specific (and very expensive) training, it's more a question of the dog's personality than it is of breed. And perception is so important. People with bad intent might be intimidated by a 116 pound black lab, but wouldn't think twice about approaching my son's miniature, long-haired, dappled dachshund, who is much more likely to bite you and badly.
First post, and I signed up as a new member when I read this response, because I couldn’t agree more.

Out of all the dogs I’ve had so far, my Labrador Retriever was the one with the highest protection drive, even though we never did any specific training. Sweetest dog, but he always had his eyes on everyone around me. He also never retrieved a ball during his entire life, so there’s that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What about a Belgian Shepherd? (I prefer the Groenendael). They can look & sound pretty scary. I know several that are good with small dogs, cats & even a bunny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
What about a Belgian Shepherd? (I prefer the Groenendael). They can look & sound pretty scary. I know several that are good with small dogs, cats & even a bunny.
Thank you! Laekenois is on my list but I might put Groenendael and Tervuren on as well.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts