Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife and I are looking for a dog. I am a reservist in the military and about to mobilize for 11 months so it will be just my wife with the dog until my return. My wife is in law enforcement, on an average work day she is gone for just over 11 hours, while she will have overtime on average once a week pushing away time to 13 hours. We live in a condo. Below is what we are looking for and looking to avoid, what are your suggestions for a good breed that will be a good fit?

Requirements:
Able to remain clam in a crate for 12 hours
Child friendly
Cat friendly
Once adjusted to the home can be left alone with run of the house for 12 hours with out issues (destruction/ prolonged barking)
At lead 35 lbs

Things to avoid:
separation anxiety
known to be destructive
barking when left alone

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi SW-

The characteristics that you describe, in fact most characteristics of any dog, are largely a function of the individual dog and his/her upbringing and treatment, not so much a function of any specific breed background. Personally I am concerned that you are "placing an order", so to speak, for a "very good boy/girl", while already describing exactly the sort of conditions that are unlikely to foster the qualities you seek, in fact quite the contrary. In a crate for 12-13 hours, tempted by cat, likely minimal interaction time when someone actually is home. And yet come the demands and expectations for a paradigm of good behavior. To be honest, I would rethink your plan to get a dog. Sorry for the frankness.

-DL

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
If you are serious about getting a dog under these circumstances, then I would suggest looking at adopting an older adult from a good rescue that has their dogs in foster homes so that they can be observed and their temperament evaluated before placing them, because there is absolutely no way a puppy could cope with what you are asking.

Honestly, though, apart from the "at least 35 pounds" part, you are looking for another cat.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
No dog.
Regularly crated for 11-12 hours in a row for the workdays is too much.
Its bad for the dog's bodily functions (basically just begging for UTIs) and not great for general physical and mental well being.

If you HAD to have a dog, like if you took in a dog from an ill family member for example, than if you budgeted for a midday dog walker it could work. Or for a small dog, under maybe 10 lb, litterbox training

11 hours on a rare occasion is OK, life happens after all and sometimes we get stuck in traffic or snow strikes or whatever. But on the whole, don't start out getting a dog with 11 plus hours indoors alone being the norm.

·
Registered
7,417 Posts
I agree with the others... there's no problem with a dog being home alone for 8-9 hours, but 11-13 is really pushing it. Such long workdays don't allow much time for the interaction and training the dog really needs. Most dogs aren't going to naturally be great with kids, cats, and not chewing stuff around the home or barking when bored; that requires training and supervision. Most dogs need to go outside and pee more frequently than that, too. An older adult could work, especially if you hire a walker to take it out mid-day, but a pup absolutely won't. However, in general, a dog sounds like a lot of extra work for your wife, who will have to walk and train the dog after working a long (and I assume tiring) shift.

Out of curiosity... why have you decided you want a dog at this time?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Agree. Don't.

Your situation and requirements are more fitting for a stuffed plush toy dog.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I agree with the others. I don't think your circumstances would be very fair at all to a dog. Dogs are social creatures and need to be with people and have positive interactions. No dog will be happy being left alone for that long on a regular basis.

Things to avoid:
separation anxiety
known to be destructive
barking when left alone
These things you don't want are not breed traits, they are unwanted behaviours that any dog can have, depending on their circumstances. The lifestyle you will be giving this dog will almost guarantee you get all of them, especially if you get a puppy.

If you want the pleasure of a dog's company I suggest you volunteer at a shelter, or offer to walk a friend's dog, or something of that nature. If you don't have time for that then you certainly don't have time to have a dog of your own. They are a big commitment and a lot of work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just ask yourself would you like to be locked in say a small bedroom for 11-13 hours a day, with no one to interact with, and nowhere to go the toilet or exercise? I think not, so please do not impose this life on a poor wee dog.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I finally hired a dog walker to take mine 3 times a week. I feel guilty for not taking them myself but atleast this way they get to go while I’m at work! Btw, I’m new here. 👋

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

My wife and I are looking for a dog. I am a reservist in the military and about to mobilize for 11 months so it will be just my wife with the dog until my return. My wife is in law enforcement, on an average work day she is gone for just over 11 hours, while she will have overtime on average once a week pushing away time to 13 hours. We live in a condo. Below is what we are looking for and looking to avoid, what are your suggestions for a good breed that will be a good fit?

Requirements:
Child friendly
Cat friendly
Once adjusted to the home can be left alone with run of the house for 12 hours with out issues (destruction/ prolonged barking)
At lead 35 lbs

Things to avoid:
separation anxiety
known to be destructive
barking when left alone
Hi,

Requirements:
Child friendly
Cat friendly
At lead 35 lbs

Things to avoid:
separation anxiety
known to be destructive
barking when left alone
I would WAIT & not get a dog yet, when both of you or 1 of you has retired & has the TIME for the poor dog, get another cat they love their own company, dogs don't like being left alone to run a condo for 12hrs, the poor dog will probably start to have anxieties, start to bark & get very depressed being along 24 hours cause when you both come home you both have dinner, have a shower then go to bed, what a boring life for a dog...
My dog is a rescue I rescued age 4yrs old, he lived in a back yard & had NO life, he became an escape artist & would up at the pound weekly until his owner never came for him at the pound 1 day, then he was on a kill list, that's where they all end up at pounds because they have become a problem.
Now he has a life, he has mates at the park he sees daily, he goes shopping, plays with the cat, loves people visiting us thru the day & greeting people walking past the house,...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts