Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone.

im rob and my wife and i are the recent recipients of a cool little boston terrier puppy by the name of walter. Walter is 8 weeks old and we have had him for about 5 days. From day one we started crate training and it has been going very well. He goes through the entire night without crying except for the occasional cry which we are very proud off. We have him going for 4 hours between potty breaks over night. We also both work and one of us comes home at lunch to let him out. He has not gone to the bathroom at all in his crate.

we have a designated area for his bathroom outside and we make sure to repeat go to bathroom while he is outside. once he starts to try to play we bring him inside to try to teach him that outside is for the bathroom only (for now).

When inside we try to encourage him to use his crate by keeping all toys near it and everytime he goes near the crate we give him a treat and i try to put treats in it for him occasionally so he see's it as a happy place.

We are trying to deal wiht his biting and nipping by yelling ouch and walking away from him and its slowly working.

the main problem we have is that he still pee's on the the carpet once in a while. we try to keep an eye on him at all times but sometimes he jets off and before you know it a tiny wet spot. as soon as we see him doing it we yell NO a few times and immediately take him outside and continue with go to bathroom for about 2 minutes. if he does not we take him inside.

what else can we do to prevent accidents inside? we know he doesnt mean to do it but it seems all the crate and outside training isnt as effective just yet.

any input would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
392 Posts
Accidents happen with puppies...it's just a fact of life with a puppy. The only thing you can do is watch them really closely, and maybe don't let quite 4 hrs go between potty breaks; maybe only 3 and a 1/2. I personally wouldn't yell at a puppy, just give them a firm "no", take them outside, and treat/praise once they are out there. Even if they don't do anything.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Accidents happen with puppies...it's just a fact of life with a puppy. The only thing you can do is watch them really closely, and maybe don't let quite 4 hrs go between potty breaks; maybe only 3 and a 1/2. I personally wouldn't yell at a puppy, just give them a firm "no", take them outside, and treat/praise once they are out there. Even if they don't do anything.
thank you for the quick response. Here is my concern when i came today from lunch i let him and he went to the bathroom, then i took him out again so that he can go #2, he didnt, but he pee'd for the second time. then about 10m later is when he had his accident.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Our pup is 4 months old and still has accidents occasionally. It happens, especially if the pup gets excited. Don't give up, it sounds like you're doing a great job so far.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
It's only been five days. . .I think he's doing fine. Keep doing what you're doing. If you want to minimize his chances to "jet off", you can keep him on a leash tied to your belt loop (umbilical method) so that he'll be close to you all the time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
thank you for the quick response. Here is my concern when i came today from lunch i let him and he went to the bathroom, then i took him out again so that he can go #2, he didnt, but he pee'd for the second time. then about 10m later is when he had his accident.
Trev would do that too...#2 always takes longer to do outside in my experience. So if you know for sure that he has to poop, stand there and wait for as long as it takes. When Trev was little, he always had to poop when he woke up, and yet he would never do it first thing when I took him outside. SO, we did a lot of standing around. :) HTH!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts