Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:wave:
Hello all you dog lovers out there...
I am the proud owner of four wonderful dogs. Each one of them is special in their own way....
Mollie is a two year old blind Collie with PRA.
Ben is a smooth coat blue merle Collie with a missing tail (abused - ripped out)
Gracie is a three legged smooth coat sable Collie who was shot, and lost her leg.
and our elderly yellow Lab, Mowgli who comes complete with a hip replacement.

Geez... I must love animals with missing parts, huh? haha. Anyway, I discovered this forum, and thought I would try to find anyone else out there with a Collie (or any breed) dog that is blind, or handicapped that would like to trade stories, advice, or support. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi!
Wow... didn't know PRA was a Dachshund problem... is it common? Mollie, my Collie, is only 2 and a half, but all her cone vision is gone, and she can see peripherally farther away. Do you have any social behavior issues with him??? Mollie is beginning to lift her lip, and growl a little when meeting strange dogs she can't see... my previous collie never had this issue develop because he was born without eyes at all, and was friendly to everyone. I'm sure it is fear based, and hopefully she can get past it with encouragement and support from me. Is your pup voice trained at all for when he loses it all... if he does?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
It can happen in any breed, but there is a big old list of ones prone to it. It's not terribly common in Dachshunds but definitely comes up a lot that I hear about. My guy is.. not the best socially but it stems from being a mill dog. I didn't get him until he was nearly 3 from a rescue, but as his vision as been failing lately he's gotten progressively short tempered with my other dogs- especially my puppy. We ended up buying chimes for my pups collar and teach him "Leave it" applied to my Dachshund so that he can hear him coming because in the few events he startled him he attacked him. Jonas, my Dachshund, is handled with care so luckily we haven't had too many issues as this has gone along. He mostly sticks by me or follows one of my girls around.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the response. I spoke to a friend of mine that is a dog trainer, and she said it is common for blind dogs to react with fear and aggression when they don't know who is around them. However, if the animals around her are known to her by scent, then the bad behavior should be addressed with a "leave it", "enough", or "knock it off" in a calm tone. Also, to help out our blind collie, we have placed different sounding bells at each of the doors in our house... that way she knows where everyone is coming and going. As time goes on, and with training, I am sure she will be just fine, and adapt to the loss.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Blinding dogs definitely learn to cope. My guy knows his way around the house just fine, but we can't leave out things like shopping bags or shoes in odd places because he'll bowl right into them. We had some smacking into the couch going on, but now he just stops at my legs and asks to be picked up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks so much for your input. It helps to have people to talk to about these issues. I will keep you posted with Mollie's progress as her sight goes for good. She is a very special dog to me, just as your little boy is to you and your family.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
It definitely does. It's hard to see them struggle with any thing, especially something that progresses slowly. It would be much easier on him if he never had his sight. My Jonas is like.. MY dog. I love all my dogs, but he's something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts