Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...

I have a 10 year old Maltese. A month ago we switched his food to: Wellness - Super 5 Mix: Just for Seniors (from Performatrin Ultra Lamb & Brown Rice Formula Adult)

Since he is now a senior dog, it was thought it might be a good idea to get food that reflects his age. After lots of internet and store advice, we decided on that brand. Also wanted to go for a more natural brand of dog food.

Our dog has no problems eating the new food, but it seems like his stomach is making more noise than usual. His stomach always made a little noise, but it seems more now.

I've read that it might be due to his food...the fact he is not digesting the food that well.

Can someone recommend a food brand that is ideal for:

- small breed (Maltese)
- senior (he is 10 years old)
- no preservatives, grain free...etc..
- balanced diet (he does get about 1 hour of total walking per day)
- dry (vs. wet)

If there is anything else you need to know about him, please ask :)

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How did you transition him to the new food? Did you do it slowly in increments or did you just do a complete switch in one go?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i did the slow transition (mix the new with the old).

Also, with the new food, his poo is a little softer (not mush) than when he was on his old food. when he was on his old food, his poo was alot more firm.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
I just switched my two 5 year old small Schnauzer/Poodles to Taste of the Wild grain free dog food. It is all life stages. My dogs have some allergy and digestive upset issues big time.....and they are doing very well on this. It has only been a little over a week.....but I did not even have the soft or runny poo issue! :)

TOTW also comes in different flavors. I first used the Pacific Stream and now am using the Bison and Venison for a different taste for them.....there are other good tastes as well. I am not sure what your price range is.....but I paid $11.99 for a 5 pound bag and it lasted over a week for two dogs weighing 17 and 19.5 pounds. That is not really expensive at all if you do the calculations. :)

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I looked up the analysis of the two foods, the Wellness is higher in fiber. I wonder if it is just too much for your dog?

Senior food is mostly based on the slowing down of the dog and consequent gaining of weight. Since a lot of consumers have trouble just feeding a little less food dog food companies have come up with products that have fewer calories per cup so the dog doesn't gain weight. Regular Wellness has 407 calories per cup and the Senior has 340 calories per cup for example. If you want to use a higher quality food now I would just use an adult formula, not a senior formula.

Wellness is a good company and they do take into account that senior dogs may not be as efficient assimilating nutrients as a younger dog. There are small amounts of joint supplements added and more fish oil and vitamin E and taurine added to the senior formula. Other premium dog kibbles may have the exact same levels without the added fiber and lower fat and protein levels. Lots of posters here like TOTW, perhaps compare the levels in that to those of the Wellness senior food?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
You really don't need a senior food. Usually it's too low in protein for a senior dog, they *need* the higher protein, not lower!

·
Registered
106 Posts
You really don't need a senior food. Usually it's too low in protein for a senior dog, they *need* the higher protein, not lower!
^This.

If you want the extra supplements that the senior formulas have, it'd be better to just add them in yourself. (Or give treats that contain them.)

Also, you say you are looking for grain-free, but you know this Wellness food is not grain free, right???

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
^This.

If you want the extra supplements that the senior formulas have, it'd be better to just add them in yourself. (Or give treats that contain them.)

Also, you say you are looking for grain-free, but you know this Wellness food is not grain free, right???
I used Wellness Core reduced fat when we adopted a morbidly obese senior dog. She did very well on it, lost the weight she needed but I didnt' skimp on the ingredients or protein.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts