Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
3 years ago my wife and I adopted a "Dakotah Shepherd" from DRK Kennels in South Dakotah. Originally this mix breed was created by Triple M Kennels, which is a cross between an Australian Kelpie and an English Shepherd. I had read about the Dakotah Shepherd on Triple M's site (still up but they're closed), and always thought it would make a great companion. the past 3 years she has been nothing short of exceptional - smart, playful, affectionate, and a great protector (but not a guard dog).

Soon after adopting our dog, DRK was shut down as a puppy mill (we had no idea). Sadly, with both places closed, I can no longer find anyone who is attempting to continue this breed, If I could find someone who is breeding this mix again, I would adopt one in a heartbeat.... But I have no idea where to start.

If anybody has any feedback on this or ideas of where to start, I would greatly appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I think a shelter's a long shot, considering that those two breeds are fairly uncommon in the US, but try Petfinder anyway. Have you looked into purebreds of either breed? Your mix may have leaned more towards one breed's characteristics than the other, and you could find a pup with a similar temperament. I'd also look into mixes containing only one of those breeds, or even border collie or Australian shepherd, which have similar temperaments (Aussies have the protectiveness you liked, I believe). There are lots of herding mix pups and adults in shelter and rescue because a lot of people can't handle that intelligence and energy that you like.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I was just about the suggest the above.
There's really no sense in purchasing a mix when there's probably a lot of them in shelters. It's very difficult -if not impossible- to find a responsible breeder of mix breed dogs, as you've learned.
Try searching through multiple shelters and rescues to see if you can find another dog of the mix, but the thing is, with mix breeds you never know what you're going to get. They don't always share the same looks and breed traits. Some are more like one parent, some are more like the other. There's no consistency in them. You'd probably be better off looking for another dog in a shelter of similar personality type. Plenty of great dogs who are smart, playful and loyal sit in shelters.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That honestly sounds like a great description of my old German Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix.

Don't be afraid to look at rescues outside of WI. A lot of rescues will transport a dog to another state for the right home. You could at least try.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I don't know your area but here the shelters are full of one type of dog and that is Pitbull mix type.

I would jump to a well bred pure bred dog with breeder support. If you want a nice family dog Golden Retrievers and Labrador retrievers come to mind. A well bred smooth coat collie can be very nice without the long coat care. Standard Poodles require monthly bath and clipping (just clip them close all over) butbare wonderful energetic playful family dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts