Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some suggestions on training treats. Preferably good flavor that dogs seem to like, low calorie, small pieces and can be bought in Canada (or somewhere online that ships to Canada). Using kibble doesn't work. He isn't interested in it as treats.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Lowfat string cheese! Quarter it lengthwise so you have four long pieces, then cut the long pieces crosswise into tiny bits. I get at least 100 treats per string cheese and it is cheese, so the dog loves it.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
You can also do the same thing with hot dogs/turkey dogs. I like to cut them up the same way and roast the pieces in the oven (or toaster oven), then blot off the grease.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hotdogs have never seemed to agree with him at all. He loves them, but gets an upset tummy every time. Do you think turkey dogs would be any different?

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Hm, maybe? Or you could try the "natural" ones? I guess there's no way to know exactly what ingredient is bothering him, but if you know he likes them I'd say it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Organ meats are great. I just bought half of a fresh beef heart (huge!!) today for less than $3. I cut it up into tiny pieces and threw it in a pan to cook for a couple of minutes. Once cool, into the freezer in small portions (enough for ~1 wk). Chicken heart or liver are also good choices.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I take a cup and a half of flour (potato, whole wheat, regular, whatever kind you like) and add 3 eggs and two bananas and bake until a toothpick comes out clear. (about 25 minutes) This is heavy and spongy. You can cut it into little cubes that stay moist and can pinch them apart for smaller treats.

Store in Fridge!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Great suggestions! You can also try Googling "homemade dog treats", there's TONS. I make my own peanut butter treats, and making them myself lets me cut them into the size I want (I usually use a pizza cutter before baking....works great).

·
Registered
222 Posts
My dogs go mad for carrots. I just cut up a couple of baby carrots and we're good to go. Also, chicken hot dogs get my puppy's attention like almost nothing else.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
plain chicken breast (or whatever meat) boiled and then sliced up. You can add garlic etc.

or even deli meat in a pinch. Bennie's bullies are awesome but not squishy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Rollover and Natural Balance. Pet stores carry it. They look like large sausages. It's a soft dog food that you can cut up into treats. Just use it as part of the dog's diet.
I also buy whatever meat is on sale and use that for treats.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use Rollover (made in Canada) and Wellness jerky treats .. they come small and are scored so they are easy to break down more. I get mine at Petsmart Or Global pet foods - depending on sales and such.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts