Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the unfortunate event of putting my Emmy to sleep a couple days ago. She was a 5 year old, 20 pound Blue heeler/rat terrier mix. I apologize in advance if this is a bit long. I just want opinions, maybe closure. Who knows.

On Sunday night, I came home from work. I immediately noticed she didn't look right, she was drinking water, but was completely coherent, walking and breathing just fine and then she threw up what looked like maybe June bug parts? So I just figured she had an upset stomach. I told everyone id take her to the vet in the morning if she didn't improve. She wagged her tail at me, and I went to my room.

The next day, she didn't move one inch from the spot I last saw her nor would she walk, and stood as if she was in alot of discomfort, she was breathing heavy, and just looked ill. So I took her immediately. The vet came back and basically told me she's dehydrated, and ran fluids on her and gave her a shot to stop the vomiting, and if she doesn't improve by 4 pm that day, to bring her back. I laid her in my front seat and could just tell something was more severe, but I took her home and laid her in my bed and she gravely got worse. I filled her bowl up with half inch of water, and she looked completely lost. She stared straight forward while drinking, and continued to lick the bottom of the bowl, and immediately threw it up. She had a glossed over look in her eyes and almost seemed blind. She wouldn't react to her name, hand movement's. This was only an hour and a half of being home. I took her back. They ran xrays. Blood work and then sadness.. Her abdomen was filled with fluid. She was in the final stage of liver failure. Her kidneys were gone, and the vet stopped there and said "That's just the start honey". She asked me about poisoning I said no way. She didn't really have an input after that. I held goodbye apologized to her and left with a empty leash and collar.

I scavenged my house for things she could've gotten into. Nothing. The only reasonable thing was my father in-laws blood pressure medication, nobody saw it happen but possibly could have spilled a few pills. He had other things like aspirin, fish oil. All the caps were on, and secure. She only played around in the back yard.

She had heart worms when she was younger, but we got the two treatments givin about 2 1/2 years ago and then preventatives. She showed no signs of prior pain, or discomfort. She was a goofy dog, and made a huge impact on all of us. She peed in the house and couple times but we all work different hours. Her poop didn't look odd. I just don't know. It hit me hard.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
Oh no. I am so sorry to read this. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet. It had to be extra hard for you as it happened so suddenly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,796 Posts
I recall reading "somewhere" about a bug that is deadly to dogs when ingested. Of course there are "things" such as grapes (raisins) and mushrooms that are deadly to dogs with the latter also being deadly to people. Kissing bugs transmit Chagas disease but that is when they bite.

I suspect a poison ingested as well or even a poisonous snake bite while outside (no idea where you live).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,415 Posts
I have nothing to add, but I wanted to say I'm incredibly sorry for your loss.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
It does sound like poison too... I'm guessing something she might have got from the backyard. Look for plants that might be poisonous to dogs maybe?

I'm so sorry - there are no words.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss! I had two dogs die from liver failure. The first one was so quick. My husband at the time woke up and found her having seizures, and she couldn't focus her eyes. She was incontinent. My husband took her straight to the vet. I'd been working all night and my job didn't let me go, so I didn't see her until 8 hours later when I went in to say goodbye before she was put to sleep. They didn't know what caused it. The second had liver failure also. I think that it had been going on for awhile, but we didn't catch it. The only symptom was an arched back and he didn't eat as much as usual. We found out at the end that he had a bad tooth, but I don't know if it was related. They never said what caused the liver failure. He became paralyzed and then we decided to put him to sleep. We never found out what caused it for either of them. The only consistency was that they were both the same breed, American Eskimos, and the one with a bad tooth. I gave up trying to figure it out, because it just is what it is. It could be the dog, it could be liver cancer, or something like that. You could get a necropsy, but those are expensive. I know you miss your baby.
 
G

·
I'm sorry to read about this. Not sure where you live but check your yard for mushrooms. Last summer my dog Sam started eating them and became incredibly sick. Some of the things that grow naturally can be deadly to them.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top