Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my current GSD Kenya, from the shelter. I don't regret that for one minute, but in all honesty, she is the opposite of what a GSD is supposed to be. shes shy and fearful ,I love her for exactly who she is but I know that in the FUTURE, I would like to add another GSD to the family, and would like to go the breeder route, something I've never done before. thankfully, kenya adores other dogs..

Well heres what I'm looking for in a breeder:

-Great health guarantee
- Genetic testing
- A breeder who keeps in contact with those who have one of his pups, who would appreciate pictures/updates
- I'm open to all lines, but im just gonna be honest. Im very picky about the "look" i want. some of the american show line breeders just turn me off
- I love sables
- Early socialization is very important to me
- Not more than 1 litter at a time.. or perhaps 2
- Their dogs are family, more than just their titles, descriptions of their personalities are important.
- More than just showing would be nice :) CGC titles, Sch, Therapy work, Agility, Rally Obedience, etc..
- not as important as the others, but one of the things I like to see is a VARIETY of pictures of the parents. not just a stacking pictures...

Im not looking for a Puppy NOW, as a prevet student.. getting a puppy just wouldn't be a good idea. but, a good GSD breeder is hard to come by.. and its never too late to begin research :)

thanks for any help and recommendations :)

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
www.marcatogsd.com

Her website isn't finished yet, but her ideals of the Perfect GSD are IMO everything a GSD should be.

She is very picky about temperment, she doesn't like a fearful dog or a spooky one. She puts emphasis on good working structure while still keeping with the breed standard, I have personally met her bitch, and that little girl has the sweetest personality with fear of nothing.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Jackie has American show lines (well, Delphi is) and won't be producing sables in this litter, though.

Look for any of Xeph's "So you want a GSD" posts - :p

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Thanks for the rec Keechak :)

No, I won't have any sables in this litter...they'll all be Black & Tans (both sides are clear for black, so no chance of those). Just remember, TEMPERAMENT is much more important than COLOR!

I am always happy to talk Shepherds with people, whether they are interested in a puppy from me or not :) My goal is to educate on the GSD breed, not make a sale.

If you want working lines, I can point you in a few directions.
If you want German Show lines I can point you in a few directions.
If you want American Show lines I can point you in a few directions.

Not more than 1 litter at a time.. or perhaps 2
Be careful, this is not always a failsafe of a good breeder.

If you see a breeder that you are interested in that has more than one litter at a time, or they have a couple expected closely together, DO NOT just pass them by, ask them why they have litters so close together.

I know a couple breeders that had really close together litters for various reasons, all "Last chance or no chance" situations.

but one of the things I like to see is a VARIETY of pictures of the parents. not just a stacking pictures...
Please don't expect this of websites....many GSD breeders do not do this (working lines tend to more..., but not German showlines, even though they do the same). It is primarily because they are not particularly website savvy and they don't know how to make all the pictures fit (for lack of a better word).

I plan on making separate pages for my GSDs of some candid shots, but mostly my site is stacked pictures (so people can see their wins as well as their conformation in general). However, if you (general) ASK me to see pictures of my dogs doing other things (candid shots) I will happily provide them :)

·
Banned
335 Posts
You might want to ask John Long from Louisiana about his dogs. They are conformation dogs from primarily American lines, but he also does obedience with them. I won't post his phone number here, but you can get it online, I'm sure--he's the president of Deep South All Breed Obedience Training Club--I think you can get contact information from off their site.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
What kennel is his?

·
Banned
335 Posts
I couldn't tell you for sure whether it's a registered kennel name or not, but I think he uses the kennel name "Zydeco."

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
OHhh, I think I may know those dogs...I've at least seen the reg name "thrown" around

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the rec Keechak :)

No, I won't have any sables in this litter...they'll all be Black & Tans (both sides are clear for black, so no chance of those). Just remember, TEMPERAMENT is much more important than COLOR!

I am always happy to talk Shepherds with people, whether they are interested in a puppy from me or not :) My goal is to educate on the GSD breed, not make a sale.

If you want working lines, I can point you in a few directions.
If you want German Show lines I can point you in a few directions.
If you want American Show lines I can point you in a few directions.

Be careful, this is not always a failsafe of a good breeder.

If you see a breeder that you are interested in that has more than one litter at a time, or they have a couple expected closely together, DO NOT just pass them by, ask them why they have litters so close together.

I know a couple breeders that had really close together litters for various reasons, all "Last chance or no chance" situations.

Please don't expect this of websites....many GSD breeders do not do this (working lines tend to more..., but not German showlines, even though they do the same). It is primarily because they are not particularly website savvy and they don't know how to make all the pictures fit (for lack of a better word).

I plan on making separate pages for my GSDs of some candid shots, but mostly my site is stacked pictures (so people can see their wins as well as their conformation in general). However, if you (general) ASK me to see pictures of my dogs doing other things (candid shots) I will happily provide them :)
Im still confused about lines.. What is the difference in conformation, temperament, etc.. could you help me out with that?

the reason I usually shy away from American show lines (please nobody be offended by this, its a personal opinion) is some breeders have a REALLY pronounced slope of the back.. Im very active and I just can't picture a dog like that moving, jumping, etc.. right

Im just looking for a great all around dog. for obedience and maybe agility :)

Right now, im not looking for a puppy. Im a prevet student and busy busy busy lol but I figure if I do my research, find a breeder I love EARLY, when its time, i'll know where to go

Ive also toyed with the idea of maybe adopting a retired adult from a breeder. I've never had a puppy, so im not sure I would be good at raising one:/

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
The slope you're talking about is often due to the way the dog is stacked, yes, there are dogs with some horrible roaching in the ring, but if the breeders is also working the dogs, you won't see it as muc due to the whole 'form follows function' thing.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Couple of posts to show how I can make the same dog look ridiculously extreme just by altering a foot:

My girl, Delphi:

These are all the same bitch

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Client dog Justin:

All the same dog

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
DDR/Czech:
V Puck Grafental

West German Show Line (typical):
VA Adrjuscha von Noort

East German Working Line:

Delphi and Justin are both American

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Because Sable and BiColors are the rox0rz xD

I love this girl:

And this boy:

And yes, that foot DOES make a complete difference, so I suggest seeing the dogs if possible (Of ANY LINE!) before making a decision.

I do not like an overangulated dog. I want a sound functional dog. I would not have that girl nor show that sable male (yes, Justin is Sable xD) if they were not sound

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because Sable and BiColors are the rox0rz xD

I love this girl:

And this boy:

And yes, that foot DOES make a complete difference, so I suggest seeing the dogs if possible (Of ANY LINE!) before making a decision.

I do not like an overangulated dog. I want a sound functional dog. I would not have that girl nor show that sable male (yes, Justin is Sable xD) if they were not sound
Id be more then willing to get on a plane and visit with the right breeder and come back with my pup so he could sit with me in the cabin.. that was the plan, just because im paranoid about dogs in cargo lol and itll give me an excuse to see a bunch of adorable GSD pups! lol

I think my girl is a bicolor..

lol shes odd. her feet/legs are brown, but her toes are still sorta black and so are her ankles
one thing really odd about her is.. take a look at her tongue! lol

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
She's a typical bi color. Look at Traya (the first bi color). She also has black around her ankles, as well as "sooty" pasterns

The black on her toes is called pencilling, and the black backs of her hocks are called tarheels

By the way, agility is not an issue with my Shepherds.

Delphi working her turning magic to play with Strauss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okaumRb-tsY

Justin working his magic on the sheep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwWuEu4eA-Q

Strauss working his magic on the sheep to try and make them disappear :p:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snRygZGBja0

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oh i'd be happy to give you THIS bi-colour as she has suddenly taken a liking to underwear and socks hanging on the clothesline

come and pick her up..lol

[/IMG]

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've always loved the German Shepherd breed, but I can't stand the angulation of their topline. I don't know what the purpose of it was, because they are such beautiful dogs with normal toplines. Are there any breeders out there that breed for a not extreme dog? I'm not looking for a dog for the very forseeable future, but I am curious.

·
Registered
637 Posts
that is the german shepherd breed standard, angulation is necessary, as you can see foot placement makes it more slanty. I doubt you'd find a reputable breeder that breeds for straighter backed dogs...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts