Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just ask my question here, it tells a lot about me :)

Hello I'm looking for some advice on getting a puppy. Sorry if this is too long!

I'm currently open to a wide option of breeds/mixes and mutts. I've spent an extensive amount of time researching breeds, training etc. I memorized over 200 dog breeds as a kid, my family has had dogs before and I've walked them for neighbors. This would however be my first dog that is entirely mine (although the family dogs that we've had I did a lot of the training with them.) My dream has always been to have my own dog, I'll be home for the next two years doing schooling so its a perfect time (I think?) to finally raise a puppy, after that, if I go to college/Uni I plan to take my dog with me (possibly go to a school that allows pets) or my sister can care for him during the day (she loves dogs and might get her own in a few years so she's entirely capable). As a toddler we had a doberman (that was supposed to be a guard dog since we lived in a sketchy country but was extremely sweet and submissive), we also had a golden and a border collie in more recent years. My dream dog breeds are ones that more closely resemble the wolf or the australian dingo, however I'm not ready for a more primitive breed such as a wolfdog plus they're too large for our accomodations right now although I definitely plan on having one sometime, maybe rescuing an adult once I'm more experienced.

Currently I found a litter of pups that I'm really interested in. One parent is a Schapendoes (Dutch Sheep dog)/King Charles Spaniel mix and the other is a Belgian Malinois. I love the look of this mix but would it be right for me?

I'm 17 and do my schooling online so I'm home during the day, the dog would be crate trained would sleep in the house and basically be wherever I am. I'm looking for a companion but I love training and being out doors in general so an active breed is okay however at the moment I don't have a regular excercise schedule or anything, we hike often, bike a lot etc but its not neccesarily everyday and my mom is opposed to a hyperactive dog like our BC was. I would do my best to excercise more say an hour or more a day but might not always be able to. I would participate in puppy classes, possibly obedience or agility after that and once I turn 18 I can start doing SAR training which is one of my interests so that is a possibility to train with the pup. I do have a cat, she did coexist with our border collie but never became buddies, we plan to get a kitten soon as well which won't be a problem if I get a pup around the same time. One concern I have is aggression with the Malinois, I know they can be more dominant and one problem our family BC had was food aggression which was partly due to the fact that she was a family dog so we didn't use one training method, for example my dad grew up with more harsh dog training and I use positive/clicker training sometimes a few Cesar millan tricks but not to an extreme (more the confident thinking, dog waits at door till you say ok etc). Does the malinois have the same or more energy/hyper active intensity of a BC?

Our yard is fenced but not very big.
If anyone has experience with the Schapendoes, do they shed extensively?
Overall would this breed mix suite me and my family?

Okay that's about it, let me know if you have any questions and what you think I should do...
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Welcome to DF! :)
I have no experience with Schapendoes, but you sound like you generally have a great process in mind for taking care of your pup.
Wish you luck, hopefully someone with some experience will chime in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts