Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am ready to get my family's first pup. I had a rule that I would not own a dog until I had a yard for them to play in (no apartment living for my dogs!), and we have been in our house for a year now. It's time.

I grew up with Goldens from Trieven-Sungold in Wyoming. My Father used them to hunt, and they were fantastic family pets. I fell in love with Goldens, and I want one for my family. I even trained 2 of them myself.

Unfortunately, Sungold's prices are out of my budget (single income in silicon Valley - tight times!), so I'm looking for a good short-hair female for around $500. I'm not looking for a birdy dog, so the value of a well-bred bird dog would be wasted, and I believe that may drive the price down a bit. Also, I'm happy to give a good home to a runt as long as she is healthy.

I looked around using the internet, but they only have searches by zip code. I want to ask the whole country about this, seeing as how prices may change depending on region and other factors.

If you have any insight, or if I'm insane to want a purebred at that price, let me know. I'm just starting my search.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would love to get a rescue dog, but I want my 2 kids' first dog to be a puppy. They are extremely hard to find from rescue shelters. (I hate to be picky)

When I say short hair, I mean the shorter, wavy haired dogs, as compared to the long, bushy haired dogs that you see a lot of. Some goldens grow a LOT of hair, but we have always had dogs that had bronze, almost matted hair, much shorter. More appropriate for our warmer climate, and also much cleaner.

More like this:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images12/GoldenRetrieverWitchChristina13.jpg

Less like this:
http://www.mka.com.my/images/Golden Retriever.jpg

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I'm currently communicating with a lab breeder i've decided on after years of research, and hopefully her breeding at the beginning of next year will take, and i will have a puppy by summer 2013.

health doesn't come cheap. Go for a rescue if you cant afford a well bred dog, but for that budget you ARE paying for a ticking genetic time bomb. Save up for longer. I know what you mean by "pedigrees/hunting doesnt matter, I just want a good pet dog."

So do I. But try to find a breeder that does ALL the health testing necessary, and DOESN'T show or hunt with their dogs.

You won't find one. The two come hand in hand. Feel free to PM me or ask more, but as a person that has had rescue dogs their whole life.... if you're going to go the breeder route, do it right. Otherwise you might end up with a dog like my neighbors lab. Cute purebred cheap chocolate lab, raised right... at two years old she needs a double elbow replacement and must be crated 18+ hours a day, all because their breeder chose not to health test. She cannot run or play, and never will be able to.

They may have saved money initially, but trust me- the vet bills ALONE are nothing compared to the heartache of having a dog that cannot truly enjoy life.

Added: I'd be happy to help you look for breeders and learn what health tests should be done and why they're so important. Just let me know!

http://www.grca.org/health/bigfour.html

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Truthfully if this was my kids first dog I would get an adult dog(from a breeder or a rescue). Puppies are mouthy and can cause kids to become fear full of their own dogs. But that is my opinion. I agree with J.B cheap and good do NOT go together.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
TBH I dont know if you will find a wel bred golden for $500. And these isnt such thing as a short haired golden

I would love to get a rescue dog, but I want my 2 kids' first dog to be a puppy. They are extremely hard to find from rescue shelters. (I hate to be picky)

When I say short hair, I mean the shorter, wavy haired dogs, as compared to the long, bushy haired dogs that you see a lot of. Some goldens grow a LOT of hair, but we have always had dogs that had bronze, almost matted hair, much shorter. More appropriate for our warmer climate, and also much cleaner.

More like this:
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images12/GoldenRetrieverWitchChristina13.jpg

Less like this:
http://www.mka.com.my/images/Golden Retriever.jpg
Both of those dogs have been proffesionaly groomed. so their hair is all brushed/washed and trimmed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I understand that they were trimmed, but ALL of the pure goldens that I grew up with (5 total) were of the shorter hair variety.

My Uncle has a longer hair variety, and it really does have loooong hair. Also a pure bred.

The differences in coat do exist, regardless of whether my use of the term "short hair" is appropriate.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think you're referring to having them in a longer show groom versus a shorter pet groom.

And I agree, you won't probably won't find a good responsible breeder that is selling for $500. And even of you find a BYB that sells that cheap you might end up paying for it later with who knows what health problems that could creep up.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Less concern about the hair. More concern about your dogs *HEALTH*.
At $500 you'll never find a good, reputable breeder who does all the initial health testing and has good healthy bloodlines. Your dog could develop so many genetic issues and if it came from a poorly bred bitch... why don't you adopt?
http://www.grreat.org/
Not in your area, but still that kind of organization would be a great solution to your budget issues. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it looks like my expectations (hopes) of low pricing are out the window. What's a low-budget guy to do? Shucks.

I did find a local rescue that has a pup. I'm initiating contact with them to see if we can visit, and if perhaps the pup would be a good fit.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I think rescue is a great way to go! Don't think of it as settling. This pup may be meant for you! It's a great coincidence there's a pup there for you.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Well, it looks like my expectations (hopes) of low pricing are out the window. What's a low-budget guy to do? Shucks.

I did find a local rescue that has a pup. I'm initiating contact with them to see if we can visit, and if perhaps the pup would be a good fit.
Wait a little longer to get a dog and save up some money n the process?
I am a grad student, so I COMPLETELY understand not having money. That being said, I saved my pennies until I could afford a well bred puppy. The other posters are right in saying that you don't get a good puppy for cheap. In my experience it's the "bargain" puppies that cost the most - by "cost the most" I mean thousands upon thousands in vet bills. Sure, you could get lucky but why take that risk? An unhealthy dog that dies young will really hurt your kids as would a bargain dog with poor temperament. It's just not worth the risk if you ask me.

If you're not willing to pay the price that health tested, proven, and stable dogs bring than please do go through the rescue route, even if it means getting a slightly older dog. There's no excuse for supporting BYBs!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
For kids I still would go with an adult from a rescue, with an adult dog there are no temperment surprises & you can sork with the rescue & they will find a dog that matches your requirements of they dont have one. Trust me as the mom of two rescues , they make great pets :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Look at this little guy:

Cute, huh? Pretty, shortish fur, loves children to a fault, loves to run, but sleeps a lot in the house, isn't much trouble at all.

That's Kabota, and he'd be anyone's perfect family dog. He's also a 3-5 year old rescue, a golden-looking mix of some sort. I paid $250 for him and for that I got neutering, full vet checkup, worming, all shots and temperament testing. Plus, the rescue will always be a resource for me if I need help.

Don't stick up your nose at an adult rescue. They are dying to show you how wonderful they can be.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts