Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone have any advice for a good dry food that a small Cockapoo may like. She is a year old and I have been giving her Beniful and she just does not like it. The previous owners were giving her dry with some wet Alpo. I really do not want to feed the dog wet food if I do not have too. Is there any good dry/soft food that she may like??. I have seen signs for IAMs and Eukanuba, they seem to be the elite brands, do you think she would prefer these??? Thank You for any help..

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Alpo is terrible food, as is IAMS and Eukanuba. They aren't elite brands; they're far from elite brands. They're like the McDonalds of the dog nutrition world -- filling, but not nutritious. They just happen to be overpriced and widely available, so people think that's the best you can get.

Check out these threads for a list of good brands; take the list to your local pet store and see what's available to you.

http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/46256-whole-dog-journals-approved.html
http://www.dogforums.com/5-dog-food-forum/16952-whole-dog-journals-top.html

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Iams and Eukanuba are generally all over the TV and recommended by vets, so that's why it's easy to label them as good brands.

However you can get a better food for the same price or maybe just a bit more. I definitely recommend going to dogfoodanalysis.com and checking it out. Don't rely on that alone - look at the labels for yourself, compare prices, see what's best for you and most available to you.

I feed Merrick kibble right now because it's affordable for me and available. It's a "better" food but I know it is not considered "the best." There are a plethora of premium brands that can fit almost any stipulation you're looking for - no grains, no preservatives, etc.

I do think their wet foods are superb, though, as there is a lot of variation and dogs really seem to like all the flavors. Recommend it 100% as a topper for kibble.

·
Registered
442 Posts
With a courteous email most companies will be more than happy to send you samples . Try a few of the better brands and see what your pup likes .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts