1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people,

I'm looking for a dog with following specification:

I want it to be rather big or huge.
Not an aggressive dog breed (I had hours of trouble with a German shepherd on a walk the other day)
Quiet indoors.
LAZY. I want him to chill with me on the couch most of the time, but we do go out every day around city etc. for an hour at least. Shortest walk he would have would be 20 minutes, which might happen once a week.
Low energy level, and easier to train.

So far I'm considering:
Irish Wolfhound
St. Bernard

·
Registered
147 Posts
Check out the New Foundlander! They're fantastic family dogs and can laze like no other. My dad used to own one and still swears by their good nature. They're big, fluffy, gentle giants. Just make sure you don't *just* expect a dog to sleep, though ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
p.s Irish Wolfhounds are nice, but they really are massive and actually can be a bit withdrawn, they also only usually have a 6-7 year lifespan due to health issues...

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Sounds like you need a really fat cat. Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you need a really fat cat. Lol.
I've been thinking about that too, but as a Garfield-Obsessed individual, he'll end up exploding on Lasagne... And they are boring.

p.s Irish Wolfhounds are nice, but they really are massive and actually can be a bit withdrawn, they also only usually have a 6-7 year lifespan due to health issues...
Due to Newfoundlander, there is a mix of Newfoundlander and German Shepherd approx. 100 kilometers away from me, but the breeder doesn't seem very trustable. I will look for him more in depth.
Secondly, the size is really not a matter for me, I like having something more 'eye catching' and a good friend more than everything.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I've been thinking about that too, but as a Garfield-Obsessed individual, he'll end up exploding on Lasagne... And they are boring.
I can assure you that not all cats are boring.

And I apologize, I misread your post. I thought you said you only planned to take the dog out for 20 minutes a week, Lol, not an hour a day. My bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can assure you that not all cats are boring.

And I apologize, I misread your post. I thought you said you only planned to take the dog out for 20 minutes a week, Lol, not an hour a day. My bad.
I go on walks for sometimes 4-5 hours, getting around places but some days I just want to be a lazy bum and only go out for 20 minutes. I don't want the dog to spontaneously combust when we go on a longer walk. That's why I've been thinking St. Bernard and Irish Wolfhound.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I thought cats were boring until I adopted two siamese mixes. They are constant entertainment. However, they're not exactly lazy either. XD The more "exciting" cats tend to be pretty high-energy and quite a handful.

Anyway, as a tiny dog person I have no useful advice, but sounds like a lot of people have some great suggestions. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought cats were boring until I adopted two siamese mixes. They are constant entertainment. However, they're not exactly lazy either. XD The more "exciting" cats tend to be pretty high-energy and quite a handful.

Anyway, as a tiny dog person I have no useful advice, but sounds like a lot of people have some great suggestions. :)
If I were to cat, then I would persian cat. They just scream lazy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
If I were to cat, then I would persian cat. They just scream lazy.
Persians are just d-holes ... and thats coming from a tried and tested crazy cat lady ( I have conversations with them on a regular basis haha)

What about a dane? I have heard they are good indoor dogs .... but I have also witnessed the opposite >.< UMMM Mastiff?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Persians are just d-holes ... and thats coming from a tried and tested crazy cat lady ( I have conversations with them on a regular basis haha)

What about a dane? I have heard they are good indoor dogs .... but I have also witnessed the opposite >.< UMMM Mastiff?
Not a cat guy, so all this remains as a theory :)
I thought about dane and grayhound, but I just prefer something a bit furrier and 'wider' by size meanings.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Owning a Saint Bernard is not easy....or inexpensive. They're relatively short lived, 8-10 years is pretty common in the breed. Allergies are fairly common, as are several other health issues you'll want to discuss with your breeder. With most medications being dosed by weight, vet bills can be pricey. These guys can EAT, especially growing puppies! It's not uncommon for a young Saint to go through 10-12 cups (or more!) of a quality kibble per day. My 3 year old eats 5 cups per day, we go through a 30lb bag every 3 weeks, $50 per bag.

Whats your opinion on shedding and drooling? Saints do both...very well. Twice a year they'll blow their coat, I usually get a grocery bag of fur off Buster every couple days for about 3 weeks...twice a year. The rest of the year they'll shed a moderate amount. Drool is a matter of how much, not if. Dry mouth Saints do not exist, thats a BYB gimmick for puppy sales. Drool shows up really well on black clothing...

Keep in mind this is a breed that is known to be very sensitive to heat. My boy is noticeably uncomfortable by 75 degrees, it was worse when he was a puppy. He spends most of the summer hugging air conditioning vents or flat on the cement basement floor. Something as simple as a slow walk in temps that are too warm can kill these guys, there will be very little warning before they go down.

I brought home a 9 1/2 week old Saint pup almost 3 years ago (April 24 will be 3 years). He's grown from 20lbs to 140lbs (on the small side for the breed). He stands about 31" from floor to shoulder, 40" girth and a 24" neck. On his hind legs he has no problem placing his front paws on my 5' 10" husbands shoulders...and licking his ears. He has slammed grown men into walls, drug my brother in law across my living room by the hood of his sweatshirt...all in play. He regularly leaves puddles of drool on the floor after eating or drinking. He has no issues laying his big head in my (or a guests!) lap right after getting a drink. I have to constantly clean drool from the TV screen, walls and even the ceiling. Lint rollers have become a very important item in my home.

No matter the messes he makes, the money it costs to care for him, the time and stress...I wouldnt trade Buster for anything!

Oops. Missed the energy level/exercise part. The breed is typically lazy. Puppies have a more moderate energy, but that comes in spurts and followed by a long nap....with Buster being so sick as a pup he's not a good one to judge energy level at that age...adults are often called "snoring speed bumps", for obvious reasons.

I do 30-45 minutes 5-6 times per week. Thats in addition to playtime (indoors and out), training (mental stimulation wears him out and he loves to work!) and just meandering through the yard allowing him to sniff along as he pleases and stretch his legs. I probably take him out into the yard (unfenced so he's leashed) 6-8 times on a typical day just so he can potty, sniff and stretch...we call it his time to check his pee-mail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts